Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

Im freaking out here and its late and my husband is still in Seattle on business (I flew home today) I had a mammogram last week and they told me I would get a letter if everything was okay but if not, I will get a phone call...so I was checking my voicemail when I got home and sure enough, there was a phone call from the breast clinic saying I need to call them back. I am really upset because my mom died at 48 because of bc and my grandma also died because of bc. I know it could be NOTHING, maybe the xray didn't come out right, who knows! But I really need all the prayers that I can get to help me remain calm and not worry about having cancer!

Now for my run story...I went to the fitness room in the hotel and all treadmills were full with people waiting. I got on this crosstrainer elliptical and it kicked my butt. Not sure if it counts as my run. I am also supposed to run week 8 day 2 tomorrow but all I can think about is my previous paragraph situation.

I had a good time in Seattle until I got food poisoning (atleast I think thats what it was) and I became violently ill. That was yesterday afteroon and I still feel a little queezy today. I threw up all afternoon, evening and most of the night and had to get up at 4am to catch a cab by 5 to get to the airport. I am really feeling bad today.

I am sorry my post is down in the dumps. I am just really upset.

Edited by BonnieMcC

Luluc... LOL, I think I would have been pleased by the comment! BTW, did you say your intervals are: Run 5 min, Jog 1 min, repeat for 30 min?? So you don't walk!! In the HEAT!!! Ok, now you're my hero!

run, then a shuffle jog - no walk.....SOAKING wet, :w00t:

bonnie - don't panic, you know w/your history you have to be diligent. my mom had BC and so did 2 of her sisters (she has 5) - all survivors. every yr since i was 25 i've had a mamogram on my bday (or close to), followed up with a sonogram, because i have dense boobs. the mamogram does pick up odd readings, however a sonogram will let you know what the abnormalities exactly are.

when i have my mamogram, they do the test; make me wait while they read on the spot - sometimes order more; and everytime i'm walked to the next rm to have a sonogram. thankfully its the same reading - the mamogram produces "suspect" issues & the sonogram confirms the tissues are dense & we'll see you next yr.

praying it all works out for you!!

Bonnie~ ((hugs)) I agree with luluc, don't panic! I know that's easier said than done. Like you said, it could be nothing. Hang in there...you will be in my prayers.

Bonnie this is my area of expertise. i am a Breast health Nurse Navigator and the manager of a women's imaging center.

A screening mammogram consists of 4 geneal views of the breast.

A call back occurs for several reason

image distortion

Dense breast tissue

addition vies needed

A change in your breast since your last mammogram

When you go back in they will do a Diagnostic Mammogram which is a more magnified view of a specific area. It could be a change in Calcification or an area they want to look at closer.

Sometimes they may want an ultrasound of the breast for a different modiality of imaging.

Given your family history; they are being cautious; and that is what you want. Only 15% of all breast cancers are genetic. Most are sporadic.

80% of all call back result in normal finding.

If they are still wondering about a particular area they may want a tissue biopsy (20% of call backs) Even then, 80% of all breast biopsies are benign (non cancerous lesions)

I know this can make your mind go crazy places. I can give you my phone number; if you have questions.

Stay off of the crazy websites.

I just love you guys! (is that weird to say to online friends???) You really made me feel much better about making that phone call back to the clinic this morning. This happened several years ago to me where I had to have a repeat test and it was because of dense breasts and now I get a mammogram every other year until I am 40, then every year. What I really have to think about is that even though my mom died of bc at 48, she has a twin sister who is now 60 and is perfectly healthy.

Lyn, thanks for all the statistics, that really helped ease my mind. I had no idea of that numbers. I think every woman should know that stats!

Guest Leslie2Lose

Bonnie - hang in there. I know what you are going through as I've been there myself. ((hugs)). You can PM me too if you have any questions.

Bonnie.. Hugs! I know what you are going through. My mom died of BC in 2000 and both grandmothers as well. I've had annual mamograms since I was 35. My first one I got that call as well. My call came in on Dec. 21st. By the time I received the message, they had closed the office and wouldn't be open again until Jan. 2. So I had to worry about it all through the holidays that year!!! Turned out I had dense breasts as well and they just needed more images done. I'm not going to say.. "don't worry about it" because that won't happen. But I will pray for you and hope that all works out!

Well I called the clinic back and she said it was nothing to worry about at all. Shen said this was my first digital mammogram and they noticed some VERY slight changes in my left breast and said that the digital is much clearer than the previous screenings. I have to go in next friday for additional screenings. She kept saying "really, its nothing they are concerned about and nothing you shouldnt worry about, just a change in tissue" So now I feel kind of silly for posting all frantic and being so worried. You guys are then best support ever though!

THANKS!

As a Breast Health Nurse Navigator, it is important that information is shared. Maybe the experience you posted will speak to someone reading this and remind them to get their screening. Reading the recent thread; it is important that we share our stories and support. Knowledge is power. That is why Breast Cancer is considered a "Chronic" disease now instead of a "Terminal" disease like it was 20 years ago.

Sorry about the soap box; I am a walking Public Announcement!

Our department recently switch to all digital imaging and in the first 6 months our call back rate increased related to the greater clarity. That is a good thing; because we are able to see even more. It is especially great for women under 40 who typically have dense breast tissue. (Us older folks have more fatty tissue) - Darn - more fat issues.

Bonnie, I am so glad you found the reassurance from your imaging center.

Everyone else; get your screening! Love you all too!

Guest Leslie2Lose

Lyn - I have fatty breast tissue myself. Boy are they getting lumpier as I lose weight...I can really tell a difference. Self tests are getting harder too - with my body changing. I was tested last month (my annual physical and mamogram). All was well. I worry too. My problem area is the tissue between my breast and arm pit...it is very lumpy.

I agree with Lyn - if you haven't been tested, do so. You can't afford to delay. Enough preaching for me :-)

Well, I lasted a lot longer than I thought I would. I cheated and weighed myself this morning. I wish I had not because I am up 2 lbs and now discouraged :cursing:

Georgia: I just looked at your pictures!!!!!! Your doing FANTASTIC!!!!! WOW!!! I think we get too used to ourselves sometimes but you are looking soooooo good...dont be discouarged...keep up!!!

Leslie: Ok i looked at your too!!! WOW!!! AGAIN!!! just super hot pictures...your progress is fantastic!!!!!!!!!

Georgia: I just looked at your pictures!!!!!! Your doing FANTASTIC!!!!! WOW!!! I think we get too used to ourselves sometimes but you are looking soooooo good...dont be discouarged...keep up!!!

Awww, thanks Whosya! :cursing: I feel better already!! You always have a way of making people feel better about themselves. Thanks again!!!