Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

Whewww....Week 4/day 1 is over. It was a challenge though. When I got to the gym all of the treadmills were taken exept for the one that faces the open window. I should have brought my sunglasses. I usually watch TV when I run to keep my mind occupied but I couldn't do it today so I really didn't think I would be able to do the run but I did. I truely believe it is a mind thing. Just staring at the little worksheet with the times is so intimidating. I have a running buddy at work and we do the work-out during lunch. I plugged in my earbuds and listened to the TV and watched the birds fly around in the trees. Wasn't so bad.

Leslie, sorry you had a not so good morning. Tomorrow is another day. Hang in there. You can do it!!

I have a sore paw :smile2:

I think I may have mentioned about a million pages ago that I have a neroma on my left foot. My run this weekend just about did me in. I have a physician's appointment on Thursday. I think I am going to "bench" myself until after my appointment.

Renewedhope - how are things going? I am so glad you will have your mom with you.

I will peek in this week.

Hi Everyone,

I stumbled across this post and found the download for the C25K program. I was so excited! I have alwys dreamed of being a runner and my long term goal is to run the Royal Victoria Marathon 8k. I walked it at 305 pounds prior to my surgery and have also walked a 10k this past spring. Now that I am down 80 pounds I figured my knees can handle the run/jog. When I am on the elliptical trainer or treadmill I visualize myself running across the finish line. It was a real emotional vctory to do it at 305 pounds!! What a satisfying feeling!

I read all the posts from beginning to today and I have to say YOU LADIES ARE AMAZING!!!! I am so inspired by you! I did day 2 of week one and it went really well. I am excited to take this on.

My thoughts and prayers are with you Renewed as you go through this day and the days of adjustment to follow for you and your family. Bless you amazing ladies! :crying:

Barb

Barb... Welcome... you're one of us now!

Lyn... ohh, your sore paw! Rest that thing! Do you have a cushioning insole in your shoe... will it help?

Georgia... I can't workout too early in the morning either. I am not a morning person. Anything before 9am is just insane. My DH is so much a morning person, and he laughs at me as I drag my butt out of bed. I have my most energy in the afternoon and evening, so I usually run around 2pm. Once I get back to work, I'll probably run in the evening around 8pm.

Tootie-Belle... congrats! You took control of your mind and made the run happen. Good job!

Luluc... OMG... 45 min! You rock! I remember a few days ago you said you were having trouble getting past 15min straight, now you did 25min and then 20min!!!! I love your attitude... Oh well, the treadmill's always there tomorrow! You are so right. If we don't achieve our arbitrary goal today, there's always tomorrow!

DH and I had a date night last night. We went out for a drink on a patio downtown and then for a nice Italian dinner. It was really nice. I had an NSV moment... the waiter at the restaurant was hitting on me when my DH went to the washroom. It was hillarious. He was cute too! So when my DH came back I displayed my affection for him in a bit more of a public way so that the waiter got the point. Too funny!

Ok, where to start...

Whosya... WTG! Excellent time and even with a flat tire. BTW, how's the bike now! What is the distance on each leg of the triathalon? I've always wondered how far you have to swim and bike!

Well there are diff lengths of Tri. I am doing Sprints right now which are the shortest. Typically 1/4 mile swim (about 16 laps of a big pool) 16-20 mile bike ride then a 5k run.

Next there is Olypic lenght 1/2 mile swim, 27 mile bike ride, 10k run. Hoping to be up to that next year

Then Iron Man : Long swim (maybe 2miles?) 90 mile bike and 27mile run!!! takes about 13-18 hours to finish!! YOu can also do half Iron mans!

Guest Leslie2Lose

Well there are diff lengths of Tri. I am doing Sprints right now which are the shortest. Typically 1/4 mile swim (about 16 laps of a big pool) 16-20 mile bike ride then a 5k run.

Next there is Olypic lenght 1/2 mile swim, 27 mile bike ride, 10k run. Hoping to be up to that next year

Then Iron Man : Long swim (maybe 2miles?) 90 mile bike and 27mile run!!! takes about 13-18 hours to finish!! YOu can also do half Iron mans!

This really doesn't sound too bad. I'm not insane enough to try it now, but that will be a great goal for 2009!!! The bike part would be the hardest for me - my butt just can't take it. I know you are supposed to have the "special bike pants"....do you have those whosya? If so do they help?

I ended up going home and doing yard work - still got in a good workout. This morning I had to get the girls ready for school. It is picture day. I can't leave their hair on picture day up to DH - they'd end up looking like Pippi Longstockings! Tonight we have orientation and Open House at my eldest DD's school. If the weather holds out (hoping it will), I'm going to do some more yard work and walk around the block with them.

Tomorrow morning - bright and early I'll be at the gym for my run. I'm ready for tomorrow! I may have to beat someone up if they are on my treadmill...of course the Y has the best two out of commission...they need to work on that!

We just go thome a little while ago. The kids did great. The 4 year old was even able to communicate that she was excited and sad too. I was very impressed that she has the ability to seperate those emotions. 6 months ago she would hardly say anything. It was much harder than I anicipated, but the worst is over. I pretty much feel like a zombie today. Didn't sleep well last night. Today is my run day, but I think I may put it off until tommorow after a good night's rest. So, I just put Dylan down for a nap and it is soooo quiet here. I have attached a picture of me with my 2 boys. My family has really shrunk, but I look forward to spending lots of time with them and being less stressed.

jpg.gif

post-225179-13813137510766_thumb.jpg

Luluc... OMG... 45 min! You rock! I remember a few days ago you said you were having trouble getting past 15min straight, now you did 25min and then 20min!!!! I love your attitude... Oh well, the treadmill's always there tomorrow! You are so right. If we don't achieve our arbitrary goal today, there's always tomorrow!

hey kathy,

so yeah i was having trouble running more than 20mins & my trainer has me twice a wk running intervals outside (TX heat) to get me ready for the 5k in Oct. i run 5mins / light jog (like there's such a thing..LOL) 1min, and repeat for 30mins. i'm finding this is making it a LOT easier to run on the treadmill for longer periods of time....saturday was a fluke i think:biggrin:

today was a "trainer" day so 30min run - 30min upper body weight training.

whosya - that tri looks doable (did i say that??:thumbup:), might have to see how the first 5k goes first.

lyn hope your paw feels better:smile:

Guest Leslie2Lose

Renewed - your boys are both precious. My heart goes out to you. ((hugs))

Guest Leslie2Lose

hey kathy,

so yeah i was having trouble running more than 20mins & my trainer has me twice a wk running intervals outside (TX heat) to get me ready for the 5k in Oct. i run 5mins / light jog (like there's such a thing..LOL) 1min, and repeat for 30mins. i'm finding this is making it a LOT easier to run on the treadmill for longer periods of time....saturday was a fluke i think:biggrin:

Luluc, you're my hero. Way to go! I still can't run outside - Georgia Humidity - plus that darned storm just won't go away! I don't want to be swooshed away by a twister.

Renewed~ I love the picture of you and the kids. They are both sooo cute. I'm praying you get some rest today and tonight so you will feel better tomorrow. ((big hugs))

thank you leslie - humidity is TUFF; today was one of those days, and i was SOAKED. as me and my trainer were walking back into the gym (i run the parking lot...LOL), some guy told me that's how someone should look after a hard workout. wasn't sure i wanted to slap or kiss him, i just knew i looked a mess....LOL:tongue:

Renewed... your boys are beautiful! What a nice picture!

Luluc... LOL, I think I would have been pleased by the comment! BTW, did you say your intervals are: Run 5 min, Jog 1 min, repeat for 30 min?? So you don't walk!! In the HEAT!!! Ok, now you're my hero!

It would be very easy for all of us to "lame excuse" ourselves out of running, but that is NOT what is going on here. Sometimes our lives are like sentences and we have to have "," (comas) to help us know when to take a breath. I think alot of us are expereincing a coma in our running journey; but that doesn't mean we can't finish the sentence. (running)

Anyway, you know what I mean.

Renewedhope your children are breathtaking and you look happy in your picture. I wish I could experience that again. However, my children would never allow a picture like that. (my son is 30 and my daughter is 26!!!!!) But I would love to hold them both on my lap again. They are foreverour babies!!!!

I still have a sore paw! I see the doctor on Thursday. Kathy, I do wear a shoe insole. I have had lot's of foot surgery over the years! (Being a nurse - I have worn out my feet)

I will get through this too.

Hang in there everyone. Run like the wind!!:w00t: