Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

I just completed day 1 of week 9. It was tough, but it felt so good to run for 30 minutes. I can't believe that I have come that far in such a short time. I have to pinch myself. I only did week 8 for 1 day, but I just felt like I could give it the extra 2 minutes for week 9, so I went ahead. I know, I have a fussing coming from Whosya. Please forgive me one more time. Sometimes I just can't help myself. Tonight was another one of those monumental feeling runs! I heard the Rocky music again.

Renewed

You are my inspiration! You have done so well any advise for us newbies? I am only on week 3 day 2 but i am really starting to enjoy my runs.

I have a few questions for all of you more experienced runners...

What time of day is best for you to run, moring or evening?

Do you eat before or after?

What do you eat before/ after?

Do you run outside or on a treadmill?

Any pointers you wish to share will be greatly appreciated, like I said I am really starting to enjoy my runs and I think this may be somethign that I actually stick with. :thumbup:

Take care

Renewed... Yeah!!! What was your distance? At 5 mph, you'd be completing 5k in about 37 minutes! So you're almost there!!!

BTW, I agree with you to move it forward. If you know you can run it, mise well go for it... just don't overdo it... like you would ever do that! LOL

I went to the doctors and got a fill today. I have only dropped 1 stinkin' pound since the beginning of our scale challenge. I hope the fill will help.

As for running, I have not ran for a few days. To tell you the truth I don't remember what day it was. I have better get it in gear or I'll have to start back at Week 1 if I am not careful.

WTG renewed!!!

DS starts school in the morning. I can't believe he is going to 7th grade. It seems like yesterday he was going to kindergarten. We finally got him packed up and ready for the morning. He is in bed, well I thought he was. Here he comes prowling. He is excited. I'm sure the excitement is from wanting to see his friends not actual school.

jbrad... here's my answers... not that I'm "Experienced" by any means, just a little farther along...

What time of day is best for you to run, moring or evening? - I'm not a morning person... I like my sleep! So I prefer to run in the midafternoon. I can do this right now, as I'm out of work. When I do get back to work, I will probably run at night.

Do you eat before or after? - Both. I eat something about 20 - 30 minutes prior to running. Usually a yogurt, some fruit, or a light lunch. Once its digested enough so its not bouncing around in my stomach, I can run. Then right after the run, I drink a glass of milk (thanks Georgia!). That tastes great right afterwards and helps me recover. Then I'll have a balanced snack with carb and Protein, like a shake, a Lean Cuisine meal or a protein/fibre bar.

Do you run outside or on a treadmill? - I run on my treadmill, but once I'm running more steadily, and don't look like such a dork (or look like I'm ready to have a heart attack), I plan to start running occasionally outside. My DH (been running for years) prefers to run outside, but in this heat he runs inside.

The only other bit of advice... don't let your head talk you out of doing something. By that I mean, don't let your negative thoughts convince you that you can't do the run.

Hope that helps!

so I went ahead. I know, I have a fussing coming from Whosya. Please forgive me one more time..

LOL. you know me too well. Well IF you think your up to it thats great! Just dont go crazy lady! you can go crazy later on. Remember your training to run a 5k right now not running one. But im SUPER excited you did it!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go lady!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I guess moving on to the graduation week would not be a good idea?? Just kidding! LOL. I will do 3 days of week 9.

Kathy, my total distance was 3.1 miles and that included the warm up and cooldown. I am getting really close to running 5k. I can't believe it!!

Jeannie, Here are my not so experienced answers... Not that I always follow my own advice, but here is what I think is best.

• What time of day is best to run? Whatever time you want to run. If you are not a morning person (I am not) then don't try to get up at 4a to run. Run at the time of day that you have the most energy. I run whenever the kids are sleeping. Either nap time or after bedtime. I prefer nap time because I don't really like running at 8p. The time doesn't matter as long as you run.
  • Do you eat before or after? I do both. I eat something high in good carbs about 40 minutes before I run. Usually it is about 1/2 cup of oatmeal with butter and sweetened with Splenda. After my run I ALWAYS drink 8 oz of 2% milk.
  • Do you run outside or on a treadmill? I run on the treadmill at my house. This is only because it is easier with the kids. I REALLY want to get outside and run. My treadmill is a Gold's Gym 450. I bought it at Walmart and i really like it. After Tuesday I will only have 2 kids so I plan on moving at least 1 run a week to the great outdoors. I am running a 5k on September 20th and it won't be run on a treadmill, so i want to train outdoors. I also think that being outside is good for all of us phsychologically. The natural sunlight is definately a good thing.

So, there you have it. I am by no means experienced, but I am starting to love running. Just take your time and don't push your body beyond where it is ready to go. I am bad about doing that from time to time and I usually pay for it. I am learning to just enjoy the run. All of the times and numbers will come.

One more thought. What kathy said is so true. Don't let your head stop you. So many times I have decided in my head that I can't complete a run when my body is fine. Before I know it, my body has joined my head in this lousy thinking. When you start running just keep telling yourself how awesome you are and how good you are at running. Don't let negative thoughts slow you down.. So much of our successes or failures happen in our minds. That's with everything, not just running.

One more thought. What kathy said is so true. Don't let your head stop you. So many times I have decided in my head that I can't complete a run when my body is fine. Before I know it, my body has joined my head in this lousy thinking. When you start running just keep telling yourself how awesome you are and how good you are at running. Don't let negative thoughts slow you down.. So much of our successes or failures happen in our minds. That's with everything, not just running.

SO true - my head is my biggest issue; not my body...go figure. i can talk myself INTO something as fast as i can talk myself OUT of something....head games.

congrats on your run renewed!!

whosya - your such a silly guy; if someone knows how to post pics cutting others out - i think i now have the guts to show more pics - even those before:eek::smile2::eek::mellow:

I had a doctor's appt today and didn't look when they weighed me!!! I told them I didn't want to know! I realize I could have found out and it would have been fine... but its a different scale, different time of day, and it just would have bothered me.

So, I'm still in the scale challenge until Sept 5th.

Guest Leslie2Lose

I weighed in today. I gained again. It is completely my fault though - I've been off focus and haven't even been to the gym since Monday. Things kinda fell apart. I'm digging back out my scales - I've done my best not to weigh, but I personally seem to do better when I do. I wasn't surprised today, but I was disappointed. Mainly in myself.

I'm starting new today though. I'm on liquids/mushies until Saturday - so this is a great chance to start new. Oh, I got a fill today. I didn't even ask how much - I don't want to know. I'm going to the gym this afternoon and doing my run in the morning.

way to go Kathy. I don't think I would have had that much willpower!! You rock!!

Leslie, You are right, this is a wonderful chance for a new start. Just look at what you have accomplished so far. While the band doesn't do the work for us, it does seem to have a funny way of helping me get back on when I fall off the wagon. Used to I would "fall off the wagon" for months at a time but now now my "falling off the wagon" only lasts a couple of days. You can and will get going again. Enjoy your time at the gym and your run tommorow!!

I just want to say that everyone here is doing sooo good! All of you inspire me!

Whosya and Renewed~ you two ROCK!! Ya'll are my little running heros, lol!

Kathy~ you are progressing soooo well! Keep it up girl! Oh, and kudos for sticking to the scale challenge. That's what I call dedication!!

luluc~ I love reading your post, here and all over the board. Your exercise regime just baffles me.

Les~ you are doing great too! Good for you for getting back on track and starting over fresh!

Jeannie~ look at you progressing! Good for you! As far as your questions go, I agree with everything Renewed said. I always eat a healthy carb before I run (usually whole wheat triscuits or Protein Cereal mixed with yogurt) and I also drink milk afterwards.

Sugar~ I know how you feel. I haven't ran either, gotta get my butt in gear! How's your legs?

Bonnie~ you are doing soooo good! I still want to commend you for doing this now and not waiting until your surgery. I think that says a lot about you. Keep up the great work girl!

Lyn~ You amaze me! Only a couple of weeks out of surgery and you were running again. I could not have done that. Keep up the good work! Oh, and thanks for the "two" breathing suggestion...I gotta try that!

tootie~ you're doing great!! Keep up the wonderful work!

Serenity~ you're doing an awesome job! Keep on truckin'!

Mamato~ How are you? I've been thinking about you and praying for you and your hubby.

All of you have inspired me to get off my pity party butt and do something today. I've been soooo bummed about my knee (which feels better again), I've gotten off track. I've had some other health issues going on too, one of them being I have a staff infection under my right arm. For the past week, any movement with my upper body has been painful. I'm on antibiotics and feeling much better now. So, I'm gonna quit moping around and go to the gym tonight. If nothing else, I'll ride the bike. Something is better than nothing!! So, thank you all for inspiring me to get back on track!

Okay, so I went to the gym, and I couldn't stand it.....I ran.

I did another day of week 3. It went really good. Finished the whole thing this time. I feel soooo good! I needed a really good workout!

You did it. Man, there is nothing that feels as good as achieving a tough goal. Way to go.

I got my new toy today!!! Just got home from a late night at work; my new treadmill arrived! It is so pretty and has lots of buttons. I am going to read the book and take her for a spin!

I had a bad food quantity day. I need to burn some calories. :cursing: