Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

Luluc... sorry I can't offer any advice! My typical run has me "sucking wind" so controlling my breathing means staying consiouse! Good luck on your 5k, and don't let your mind talk you out of it... you can do it!

Bonnie... way to go! You are doing awesome! And the speed thing is great. Trust me, 4.0 is fine, 4.1 is great. I've been running between 4.5 down to 4.3, and can't make it as far as you. So run at whatever speed gets you there.

Renewed... 31 minutes of running (28!!! + 3) that's excellent! You are going to have the greatest photo finish on your 5k. You'll be able to compare it to your last one and say "wow... look at me, how much I've improved!"

This may not work for you because everyone breathes at a different rate. But when I first struggled with my breathing I started this rythemic pattern.

I take a breath in

When I breathe out I say out loud "two",

In

Say "Two"

In

Say "two"

In

say "two"

When I say "two" it is almost like I am spitting it out (strong "t")

Don't think about the "In"

Just say two, two , two.

This may be stupid, but it helped me. Now I don't think about breathing any more.

This may not work for you because everyone breathes at a different rate. But when I first struggled with my breathing I started this rythemic pattern.

I take a breath in

When I breathe out I say out loud "two",

In

Say "Two"

In

Say "two"

In

say "two"

When I say "two" it is almost like I am spitting it out (strong "t")

Don't think about the "In"

Just say two, two , two.

This may be stupid, but it helped me. Now I don't think about breathing any more.

this does not sound stupid at all. i know my problem is i start off great - get lost in my own world & songs and dont' pay attention to my breathing at the start , then all of sudden - i feel an elephant on my chest.

i will try this! thnx

It feels like such a big feat to start the new week and a new goal. I started week 3 day 1 today. I'm not gonna lie, it was tough. I really wanted to quit on the second 3 minute run but I followed through huffing and puffing but I did finish. I'm hoping it will get a little easier by the end of the week. I certainly feel alot better when I'm finished. I also think it's partly because I'm anxious about whether or not I can do the next phase. We'll see...

Lyn, your breathing technique sounds great... I think I'll try it!

Tootie, you're doing great. I remember week 3. It took me all week to complete the full intervals. The first day, I didn't make it, the 2nd day I almost made it and the 3rd I did. So you're doing great to have done it the first day! Keep pushing yourself and you'll progress well.

I just read you bottom line. You lost 75 pounds! That is exactly my start weight and my goal. I assume you are at goal! How long did it take you. You are my idol!!!!

YOu will get the breathing down just fine, because the alternative is to fall down and pass out. In which case you will start breathing again anyway. (Said like the true Nurse that I am!)

If I weighed 125 and was a size 6; I would run naked and not care if I was breathing!!!!!!!!! Becasue my DH would be chasing me.

I am so proud of all of you 1 year folks who are really kickin' it.

I can't wait until I am the ol' pro .....

I stayed at wk5 day 2 today -- there were a couple guys in the gym today - usually it's just a few women - coworkers that I know - and they encourage me. I wasn't going to huff and puff and call out for encouragement in front of two guys. So I did warm up of 5 minutes, 9 minutes, walked for 5 ran another 9 minutes, and cool down of 2 minutes.

Maybe tomorrow will be the day! Good luck in your attempt!

Serenity

My hubby is a nurse too! Also, my SIL who was banded 3 weeks ago is a nurse.

Edited by SugarBean

WOW! look at you ladies go!!!!! You are all TOTAL HOTTIES too!

Way to go all of you! YOur doing Fantastic!!!!! I love coming in here and reading up on you. Its hard to keep up though.

Well i probably should slow it down this week as my Triathlon is on Sat but you know me!

My Road bike is super fast! im lovin it..my little town has a 25mph speed limit and we get alot of Mopeds in the summer...well last night i got my rode bike flat out to 25mph and over took and moped! lol..was he surprised.

I just read you bottom line. You lost 75 pounds! That is exactly my start weight and my goal. I assume you are at goal! How long did it take you. You are my idol!!!!

YOu will get the breathing down just fine, because the alternative is to fall down and pass out. In which case you will start breathing again anyway. (Said like the true Nurse that I am!)

If I weighed 125 and was a size 6; I would run naked and not care if I was breathing!!!!!!!!! Becasue my DH would be chasing me.

I am so proud of all of you 1 year folks who are really kickin' it.

I can't wait until I am the ol' pro .....

haha - you made my day today reading this..LOL

got banded in oct '07 - by jan '08 i had only lost a little over 20lbs ; so joined the c5k (whosya was my pit bull & cheerleader) , got a trainer and stuck my head in the sand working out like CRAZY.

i'm 5'1 - i'd like to lose more, but 125 is where i have been for 2 months. like some on this thread - my addiction to the scale has seriously frustrated me, hubby took it out of the house till the day before the 5k.

i realized running really made my stumpy legs look half way decent - so i re-engaged..kicking & screaming of course..

btw - i ran (in the rain this am) w/my trainer .... THE TWO's WORK!!!, i might have spit on myself a few times throwing them out loud & all - but i got threw our running session not feeling like a car was parked on my chest. thanks so much,

lulu

Hey there all of my couch to 5K buddies.

Well, here goes my off topic sob story. I have not had any time at all to post. DH is not doing very good right now. He definately has developed an infection from his surgery a month ago and it is in the disc in his back and possibly the bone. I took him to the hospital on Sunday and he will not be coming home until Friday at the earliest. They did another surgery on Monday and finally have the pain under control and antibiotics going. He was out of bed for 20 minutes yesterday and that was his max. He will be coming home on IV antibiotics and with a brace that goes around his upper body and down over his left hip. Both of those will be for 6 weeks. He has a long road of recovery ahead. The only family I have close by are my mother and father in law. They are doing what they can to help, but my father in law just had prostate surgery 2 weeks ago and is recovering also. I'm not sure how I am going to keep a full time job, take care of 2 toddlers and a pretty much helpless husband all alone. But where there's a will there's a way, right?

Now for on topic. I went to the gym for about 30 minutes yesterday. Exercise has become a great stress reliever for me. I got on the elliptical for 15 minutes and felt no pain in my hip so I decided to get on the treadmill for a jog. I ran a mile and decided not to push to hard. My hip is a tad sore today. It felt so good to run!

With the stress in my life right now... my band is so incredibly tight. I am having trouble eating much of anything. It kinda sucks, but the scale moved after about a month long plateau. YAY!

Anyways... thanks for listening. This is an incredible support thread, even for things totally not related to C25K!!

Oh Mamato, So sorry for all you are going through. When I read your post I wanted to jump in the car and come help you. You must be completely exhausted. I am glad you got to run. It seems that exercise has become a big stress reliever for me as well. I hope your hip continues to do ok. I will pray for healing for your husband and peace and endurance for you. my heart is so heavy for you. I just don't have the words.