Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

Hi all! I hope everyone is doing well. I finished week 2 last friday and plan to move to week 3 in the morning. It was not as bad as I had made it in my head. I am enjoying my workouts alot and can't wait until morning to see if i can make it through day 1 of week 3. It is great tohave something to push myself to accomplish and to have a goal to work toward as far as my workouts go. everybody here is doing so well it really gives me so much inspriation.

OK, I am so excited. Today I didn't have my interval music, so I used my old IPOD (regular music) I ran over 15 mins for about 1 mile straight no stopping outside. I can't believe I did it. I am going to try to do the same or a little farther tomorrow.

I also had trouble getting on this website today; it is not just you!

Bonnie, I am a scales- challenge- drop- out. I can't do it, I need the positive reinforement or the knowledge that I have to try harder. I agree, no sweets, no caffine, exercise, low carb, 1 cup quantity, no alcohol, I don't smoke, I rarely lie!!!, I am faithful; come on I am nearly a saint. The only thing I have left are my bathroom scales. I tried; I did it for one week.

Forgive me support group for I have sinned. I have been weighing myself daily. (It's a Catholic thing):biggrin2:

Anyway; everyone is doing great. I depend on you. When I run, I think of all of you. Isn't that funny- I don't really know you; but you are my running buddies.

Thanks friends.:thumbup:

Guest Leslie2Lose

I just downloaded week 3. I've got to hit the bed if I'm going to be awake enough in the morning to run. I hope everyone had a great weekend. Have a great week running!!!

Jeannie - I'm ready to hit the gym this week. Refocused and girly issues all out of the way. I'm looking forward to week 3. We can do this!

Morning All,

Ok yesterday was a write off. I didn't even attempt the 20 min run. Sorry... TMI coming... My TOM kicked into high gear and there was no way I was going to run. Now that the kids and DH are gone for the day, I'm going to give it a try this morning. At least I'll have some privacy!

Lyn... there is no way in the world I would have given up the scales just a few weeks post-op! So don't be confessing yet! Go ahead... weigh away! But when you're a year in like I am, then we can talk. lol

Guest Leslie2Lose

Morning everyone. This morning I ran 3 minutes straight! I can't believe it was so easy. I was expecting it to be hard. I am disappointed that I didn't finish my run, due to my MP3 Player only downloaded DJ whats his faces voice - only and I lost track of where I was. I did my best to complete it without the music, but got lost somewhere during the weather on the local news. I couldn't remember if it was 3 minutes run, 60 seconds walk, 90 seconds walk...I got lost. I'm going to finish when I get off work tonight. I'm going to try again to download from the office. I'm so thrilled though! 3 minutes! I think I could have gone longer.

Kathy - my TOM was Thursday night/Friday morning - I don't do anything on those days...I'm so icky and hurting. ((hugs)). Good for you to try at TOM!!!

congrats leslie- 3 minutes straight! You are doing awesome!

lyn-your post cracked me up. Im a catholic girl too so it was even funnier about the rarely ever lie part!

keep up the good work jbrad!

well, today was my kids first day back to school and my first day back to work! I work in my husbands office so my hours are VERY flexible. In fact this morning he said "Are you really coming in? You dont HAVE to!" He cracks me up! I WANT to be back to work. It keeps me from eating everything in the house (which really hasn't been a problem, but now that the kids are back in school I don't want hold habits to come back) I did wii fit for an hour this morning and I will get my run in after the kids get home from school. THIS may be difficult because I am so used to running in the morning and so I hope that I have the energy! I haven't looked to see what week 7 has in store for me today! Im scared!

I hope everyone has a great week!

ok - still following this thread, i think ya'll are doing wonderfully & the support you are providing one another is fantastic.!!

my good friend had put on 40lbs over the last 2yrs, and started back in the spring working out - i turned her onto the c5k program, which she is currently at wk7....she & my trainer has put me to task to sign up for a 5k, and just do it. so the 3 of us have a date in less than 2 months and i HAVE to get back to basics w/running.

currently i'm having issues running past the 22/23min mark & definitely not at the 5k marker. my trainer has me running outside the gym w/him & i'm finding it easier going from that to running longer on the treadmill - but i'm struggling a bit with my breathing. my legs can keep going - it's just so hard i think in this TX heat to continue outside. anyone advise on the breathing or how your handling it?

appreciate it,

Leslie... YEAH... you did it! Congrats.

Well, as suspected, I wasn't able to do the full 20 min. I did 10-1/2 before stepping off for about 45 sec. Then I continued 2min on, 30 sec. off until the end. So I ran for a total of about 17-18 min.

I'm really happy with being able to run the 10+ min. I knew I wasn't ready for the full 20 yet, and expect that it will be a few weeks before I am.

My body was working against me today as well... nasty TOM! And, I found out I didn't get the job I was interviewing for, so I was a bit bummed out. Regardless... I'm thrilled that I ran that long.

I think I'm going to try and run again tomorrow.

Guest Leslie2Lose

Kathy - I'm going to give you the advice you have given to me in the past...don't overdo it. You may need to rest before trying again for that 20 minutes. Especially that TOM. I know you are bummed about the job (hugs). Something wonderful will come along and you will be perfect for it. You'll know it and they'll know it. Hang in there!

Kathy, SO sorry about the job. The right one will come along. It seems that we all have a point in this c25K when we are really pushed beyond what we think is possible. The 25 minute run was it for me. you will push through this, just don't be as stubborn as I was. Listen to your body and just keep running.

Today I began week 8. It is a 28 minute run. I completed it and it wasn't too bad. In fact, after the cool down my odometer on my treadmill showed 2.9 miles. Way too close. So... I bumped it back up to 5 and ran for 3 more minutes to complete 5K. So, In 41 minutes I ran 5K. That includes 8 minutes of warm up + cool down. So, my next goal will be for just the running to equal 5K. It will happen. I am hoping to run all of the 5K on September 20!!

Luluc, Hang in there. YOu have been such an inspiration to me as I began this thing. You can do it!! Just keep running.

I think that is my new motto in life.....Just keep running!!

Guest Leslie2Lose

Renewed - I know you'll be able to run the 5K next month. Your new goal will be to better your time! You go girl!!! You are an inspiration - truly you are.

I don't know why, but when I read your last sentence Tom Hanks popped into my head as Forrest Gump, "I just felt like Run-ning." I love that movie!

renewed, your very sweet!! i see ya as a rock here for others - cheers!!

just signing up has created such anxiety and i think it's ALL in my head ; so off to running:tongue:

Guest Leslie2Lose

Luluc - I wish I had some advice on breathing. I'm a novice and am happy I'm not hyperventilating when I'm done. Good for you though, signing up for your 5K. You'll get back into the saddle and it'll be like you never left.

renewed--28 minutes?!?! AWESOME! and congrats on 5k in 41 minutes! thats so good!

and here is my news for today...week 7 was 25 minute run and you know I always comment on my "slow run" at 4.0 and you guys are so nice about saying its not about the speed but today I bumped it up and I ran (drum roll here)..................4.1 HAHAHA Seriously though, I could tell the difference. Not a huge difference obviously, but it was a little harder. I kept telling myself if I just can't do it, I could go back to 4.0 at anytime, but I have absolutely feel like I needed it and I just kept going at 4.1!

oh...for you Wii Fit Friends that are doing the scales challenge...do you do your daily body test or do you just go to training? Do you get a stamp for the day if you just do training? Dont forget, you can log your running in your wii fit activity log!