Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

Georgia, thanks for the swimming link... sounds great. I love to swim, and this could be a great idea to get me moving in the Water again. I just have to find a proper routine for going to the aquatic centre.

Renewed... I can't imagine you ever over-doing it! HAHAHAHA! Seriously, you are one committed person... great to have as a friend!

Ok, I'm going to look into the swimming schedule to see if I can fit it into my week and go 2-3x (if its not too expensive).

DH is on vacation this week, so today we took a really long walk with the dog and then went on a beer tour. I know... not great for the diet, but when you only sample a little at a time, that's ok. We tried a fruit beer, a chocolate stout, a honey brown and something else I can't remember. Really liked the something else (lol). We also went out for lunch to my favourite Thai restaurant. I had this excellent mango fish dish (it's relatively healthy). Now I'm preparing for my interview on Wed. Tomorrow we are golfing!!!

I plan to run later this evening. Kind of scared... hope it goes better than the other day.

Ok I just did week 2 day 1 and I am so excited about this! I never imagined I would like to run, but i think it will be my new favorite past time very soon. What are the others of you setting as your speed? I am walking at 3.5 and jogging at 5.0 should i be going faster or slower? I am worried i may do this wrong and end upo hurting something and not finishing. Thanks for the help!

Guest Leslie2Lose

Jeannie - girl your legs are miles longer than mine. I walk usually at 3.5 and run at 4.2. That's what I did tonight for the most part. I'm so tired, but feel so good at the same time. It's a weird feeling - LOL

Jeannie, don't worry about speed... you're doing great. I usually walk at 3.5 and run at 4.5. Speed will come with training. Right now all we want to do is SURVIVE!!!!

Well I did day 3 of Week 4!!! And I almost did it without stopping... almost. I was 2 min into my last interval when my son came downstairs to tell me he was going to bed. I usually tuck him in and cuddle with him for a few minutes... so he wanted me to hurry up. Problem was, I had my ipod on, and my back is to the door, so I didn't hear him coming. He sort of popped up right beside me and I just about fell off the treadmill (lol). My heart missed a few beats and it was all I could do to hit pause. Then my DH showed up laughing, so I had a few choice comments (non-verbal so DS didn't hear) for him!! So I ended up taking a 30 sec. pause half way into the last interval... but completed it. However, to be truthful, I wasn't going to make it the full 5 min, so would have had to stop anyways!

Depending on how I feel on Wed. I will either repeat the day or push myself to move onto week 5. I think I can do day 1 of week 5, just not day 2 yet.

Question: What is everyone eating post-workout? Also, is anyone feel like they have a slight stitch in their waist (usually these are in someone's side, but mine is in my waist just right of centre front)?

Jeannie - I do not think that any of us ever dreamed of being a runner. Most of us end up enjoying it. Great job on week 2!!!

Kathy - how did your run go this evening?

Official middle school soccer practice started today. They have been conditioning twice a week, now that they can practice it will be everyday. Most of the mom's walk while the kids are practicing. So I got a really good walk in this evening. We walked an hour. Our path is 2/10th of a mile. But we are walking and talking so much that we never count how many times we go around. I'm sure a couple of miles.

Oh yeah... 1 week and going strong for no scales!!! I can do this! I'm actually starting to enjoy not having the pressure of weighing myself. Oh course I have transferred my scale obsession to my blood glucose monitor... so now I get a bit of pain with my obsession :wink2:

Sugar... what a great idea! Mise well get in some activity while the kids are practicing. How's your legs doing?

Guest Leslie2Lose

Kathy - great job finishing your run! I have the same "tuck-in" situation here with my girls. I get a funny feeling in my side towards the end of my run. It is to the left of my belly button and down a bit - I guess you could describe it as a twitch. I usually keep going and it'll go away on its own. How about you?

I usually drink a lot of Water after a run. I'm so thirsty when I'm done. I crave milk to afterwards, but then again I crave it all of the time now anyway.

Sugarbean - how's your legs holding up? Good job on your walk too :-)

Guest Leslie2Lose

How do you determine when to move to the next week?

I have been at this for a month now and am on week 2. It is still hard for me at the end to finish - really hard, I got a cramp tonight and didn't finish running all the way. Am I sabotaging myself by not moving up each week? I feel like I should have made more progress than I have. Is it mental or physical or both?

I'm with you jbrad. I've started week 2 day 1 today and did fine. My speed isn't as fast though. I base my speed on my heart rate. I'm running at 4.3-4.5 depending on my HR. The swim thing sounds great but I went swimming last week on one of my off days and it's not as easy as I remember it when I was a kid. I actually look forward to the run. Keep up the good work for those getting close to their 5k. You can do it!!

Kathy, I drink 8 oz of milk after each run or workout session. DH says that it helps heal stressed muscles and helps with soreness. I am not sore and he is a pretty smart fellow, so that is what I do.

I actually took a break today. I didn't run or do any exercise videos. I actually enjoyed it. Here's is where I must be careful and not let my all or nothing mentality kick in. Usually if I take a day off at something then I quit it. This is one of the reasone I am so driven. I am really working on this. So......I will do my run and workout tommorow as scheduled. You guys and your support are the best.

I've always heard to drink milk after workouts too! I usually do a Protein Shake, made with milk.

I was going to do the C25k on the elliptical this afternoon, but they were all taken! I waited a little while but then decided just to walk on the treadmill. It took all I could not to run. DH was on the treadmill beside me and I think he could tell I was about to up the speed and he gave me "the look". Bless his heart, he is really supportive and only wants what is best for me. I decided to just stick to walking though.

Leslie, I walked into the pool area and glanced at the lap sign. From one side to the other (1 lap) = 25 yards. 70 laps make a mile!! That blows my mind! That's a lot of laps!!

Hey all of you fabulous runners! I'm just popping in to say hi. I have been working working working these last few days and still trying to fit in my runs. *sigh* I'm pooped! Well, I am going to have to side line myself for a while. I have been pushing to make it through the last few runs and my hip is killing me now. Today I attempted week 6 day 2. I ran the first 10 minutes but I only made it 3 minutes in to the 2nd 10 minute run and had to stop. I have been limping around in pain for the rest of the day. :wink2: This stinks! I dont want to stop, but I know I need to give it a break. I'm going to try out the elliptical and see if it causes as much pain.

Kathy/Leslie - my legs are doing much better - not 100% - I am still bruised and a little sore especially by the end of the day - left leg mostly (which is the last leg that I did). I go back to that doc on Monday the 18th. I am hoping for a good report - that those veins have shut down.

Renewed - You are not sick are you???? No exercise today. Your body will thank you for the rest.

Georgia - 70 laps!!!! YIKES!!!!

Leslie - Try week 3, if it is unbearable, go back to week 2. I thought I would be progressing faster too. My legs have slowed me down. I did week 3 relatively well then I did my legs with 2 weeks off the program. I ran but not intervals. When I tried week 4 today, it kicked my butt. Funny thing is, I thought since I was still running that I might actually be able to jump up to week 5 - no can do. Week 4 it is.

Girls, keep it up and thanks for the motivation. I could never have done this without your "pat on my back" telling me "good job", "don't quit", "you'll get it next time", etc... I appreciate each one of you.

Mamto - take it easy on that hip. I know how hard it is wanting to run but can not do it. The elliptical may be a good choice. Do the RICE thing. Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation. If that does not help, you may need to see an orthopedic doctor. Take care.