Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

Just finished week5 day 2 and now I am getting nervous for day 3--the 20 minute run. Today was tough but doable. I still have not changed my walk/run speeds. Everytime I finish I think I really could have done that a little faster, but I keep my heart rate way up and I am drenched in sweat when I am done, so I think I am still doing great. I also don't want to be dying to catch my breath at a faster speed.

I am still going at 3.0 and 4.0. Its funny because I really thought 3.0 felt almost like speed walking at first and 4.0 felt like I was running as fast as I could during week one and begging for that 60 seconds be over. Now 3.0 feels like a regular walk (almost too slow) and 4.0 feels like a fast jog.

What speeds are you guys walking and running at? I don't want to post that question to make everyone feel like the have to compare or compete with anyone. Everyone should really go at at the pace they feel good at. I just want to know for my own curiousity.

Guest Leslie2Lose

Hey Bonnie. I'm at a 3.5 walk and 4.2 run...the 4.5 is too fast for me right now. I already feel like the roadrunner. I started off at a 3.0 the first week and just have gradually moved myself up. I monitor my heart rate - if it gets too high I will move my run to 4.0.

Lyn way to go on week 3!!

PS I found the answer to the shin splints. Ben Gay!!!

I find it helps to put heel pads in my shoes before a run. It gives just the right amount of lift to put my foot at good angle.

Mamato, I will never give you a hard time for having to stop to take your little girl to potty. I was 20 minutes into my 25 minute run this morning and guess who I had to take to the potty?? ME! I had to go soooo bad. It was either go on the treadmill (not a good idea) or stop and go potty. I tried to get back on and do my last 5 minutes, but I just couldn't get back in the zone. I may try it again tonight, but I might wait until tommorow. 20 minutes is definately a good run for the day. I don't know if I want to do the whole thing over to get the last 5 minutes in. We'll see.

lyn, congrats!!! That is an awesome run.

Bonnie, You are doing great!! Don't be scared of the 20 minutes. You can do it!!!

I have bumped my speeds down just a little. Since adding the exercise videos I find the running a little more difficult. I am walking at 3.7 and running at 5.0.

You ladies are all doing great!!! Keep it up!!

Okay, woke up this morning and my ankle and knee felt fine. I decided to go the the gym and attempt day 1 week 3. To my surprise, the 3 minute intervals were not bad at all!! YAY!!!!

I'm a little confused though. I think I may have run through some of my cool down. Should I be walking when the cool down starts? I ran for like 3 minutes and still didn't hear a chime so I stopped running and started walking. 2 minutes later the music completely stopped. Is there a 5 minute cool down or am I supposed to run for 5 minutes at the end???? :wink_smile:

My knee is bothering me a tad, but noting unbearable. I'm icing it now.

We 3 is not quite right. Unless I didn't hear right, it goes from walking to cool down, so no, it isn't just you. Enjoy the extra little walk at the end.

We 3 is not quite right. Unless I didn't hear right, it goes from walking to cool down, so no, it isn't just you. Enjoy the extra little walk at the end.

Okay thanks, glad it wasn't just me.

PS I found the answer to the shin splints. Ben Gay!!!

I read about shin splints on an website a few weeks ago. My DH was running and his shins were hurting. Sit in a chair with your feet flat and raise and lower just your toes. Work up to 50 times. This is supposed to help prevent shin splints. If you feel your shins while you are doing it, you can tell that muscle is really being worked. Good luck!

Guest Leslie2Lose

Well I have to get dressed (thank goodness I can lose the heels!). I'm going for my run. DH lost my MP3 Player - I'm not happy about that. I'm going to do it without...not happy. I can do this! No music! I can do this! I can do this!

:thumbup:Gerogia girl, you are right. We are on the same week and day. I did the last run, then walk then expected another run; but it ended. OK by me!

Bonnie, I walk/run at a 0.5% to 1% incline.

I walk at 3.5 and run at 4.3

I have never been a sweater; but for some reason - this makes me sweat every where- I think my fingernails sweat!

My resting heart rate is around 48- 56

My highest heart rate is 156-160

But it averages about 134.

I wear a pulse monitor that has my "zones" preset. I use to workout with a personal trainer and she set the watch for me. I am supoose to stay in zone 2 and 3 for a good work out. This interval training is spot on for me!!

I usually burn about 300 calories per work out. After my interval part, I keep walking until I reach a total of 3 miles. The whole thing takes about 50 minutes.

I am nervous about the 20 minute run - which week is that?

It means so much to know you are all running, sweating, panting, and smiling alone side of me. I can actually hear you cheering me on.

Renewedhope, you are doing a great job of inspiring and motivating. You are a great role model.

I am so so SO happy to report that week 5 day 3 is finally behind me! My children cooperated and I pushed through the full 20 minutes. YAY! I can not even begin to tell you how great it felt to finish it. The third time was the charm on this one.

As for my speeds... I walk at 3.5 and jog at 4.5. Not very fast by any stretch of the imagination, but it is so much more then I ever imagined I would be doing a year ago!

I am loving running. I am loving this thread. I am loving the support, motivation and encouragment you are all giving me. I would NOT be here right now if it wasn't for you all. So thankyou all!

Now for week 6.......

Finished week 4 today! I love the feeling at the end of the work out of Yes! I did it!

I think I'm one of the slower ones -- I walk at 3.2 mph and jog at 3.8 or 3.9 mph. I have short legs so that is my excuse!

Serenity

YOu guys are doing great!!!!!!!! I ran this morning too. a 4 miler for me at 6.8 mph peaking at 7.5mph. then on to my Spin class.

I am out of town for a few weeks (Philly) but i will be checkin in on all of you so keep it up