Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

I am leaving here in about an hour to head to the YMCA so I can try the 20 minute run again today. I am gonna do it! I think I can I think I can I think I can. How do you like my positive self talk? Wish me luck!

Sugarbean~ Thanks for the tips and thanks for being the voice of reason. I will rest for a few days and see what happens. I did elevate my knee last night and iced it a few times and this morning it feels fine. Thanks again.

Mamato3~ Good luck today! Positive self talk is wonderful! It has helped me get through quite a few of my runs. Sending you more positive thoughts.....

Mamato - Sending you lots of positive thoughts!!!!! You can do it!!!

Georgia - Glad your knee is better this morning. Maybe after resting it for a couple of days you will be good to go!!

I am fixing to weigh for the last time in a month. That seems like SUCH a long time!!

Ok, I weighed myself first thing and my ticker is updated. It was hard to up the ticker :wub:, but at least its honest! Now, not until Labour Day Monday! We can do it. If we can run, we can avoid a silly scale :smile:.

Mamato... positive thoughts coming your way!!!!

Georgia, keep following RICE for about 2-4 days. Continue to follow your daily activities except for vigorous ones (like running). If you notice any pain in your knee just doing your normal activity, go see a doctor and get referred to a sports medicine clinic if possible. They usually have bone docs and phsyiotherapists. I don't know if your insurance covers this, but if it does... go, it really helps. If you don't notice any problems by Tues, give the running a try. Maybe try outside, rather than the treadmill. Outside you can control your speed, but the treadmill kind of forces your speed. Good luck buddy... I'm sending you positive thoughts too! BTW, I totally expected my knees to give up really early in the running, but they have remained good. They still hurt their normal hurts during the day (i.e. climbing stairs), but nothing new or different from normal.

I'm really excited about giving week 4 a try! Scared, but also excited. I know I won't be able to do the 2nd 5 min interval... but maybe the first??

Kathy, I think you will surprise yourself and do both 5 minute intervals!!!

I weighed and updated my ticker. I was one pound up from my ticker weight. I usually don't adjust my ticker if it means going up, but for this I am. I want to start with a clean slate. I can't wait to see what we all lose in a month while not focusing on the scales. Kathy, you are right, if we can run surely we can put the scales away.

I just did my Jiilian workout. now I am going to run day 2 of week 6.

I just attempted week 6 day 2. I didn't complete it. It is 2 10 minute intervals. I made it through the 1st 10 minutes, but tuckered out about 3 minutes into the 2nd 10 minutes. I know what the problem was. I did my other workout first and haven't eaten anything to speak of today. I know better. You just can't do that much exercise without any fuel. I got on there believe I probably wouldn't make it because I needed to eat first, but I wanted to get the run done so I didn't stop to fuel my body. I will probably get back on this evening when I have eaten and made up my mind. If I get on thinking I won't do it then I won't. i'm am pretty frustrated with my poor choice this morniing. because I failed to eat right I am going to have to start the whole run over. YUCK!! Lesson learned. I'm gonig to eat something now.

Hello all! Ya'll are not going to believe what I just did. DS and I were headed out to the car to go to the store. I stepped in a hole and twisted the same ankle I hurt a couple of weeks ago! I am such a klutz!!! Luckily, I don't think I hurt it too bad. It's not really swollen or bruised, but I think I am going to wear my ankle support for a couple of days and ice it. It doesn't hurt unless I rotate it, so I think it's okay.

Renewed~ I have done the same thing a time or two and I have learned my lesson! I always eat a little something about 30 minutes before I run and it really helps. Good job though!! I can't even imagine running that long!!

Kathy~ Thanks for the advice. My knee hasn't bothered me at all today and I've been in town doing quite a bit of walking already. It seems to only bother me when I run. I will continue to rest and ice it though, I think it really helped last night.

To my surprise, my weight this morning actually matched my ticker! YAY!

mamato - I hope all goes well today with your run.

I ran this morning before I went and did the EVLT on my left leg. I ran just about 3/4 of a mile after a 5 minute walk. I finished up and almost stepped on a dead snake. Although I did not realize it was dead.:smile: I was not graceful trying to get away from it.

The EVLT really, really hurt today. Last week was not so bad, but his week OUCH!!!! Hopefully my leg will not slow me down this week. I know I am not running the intervals, but I am running. I want to keep it up.

Georgia - We are going to have to put you in the hospital in traction to keep you free of injuries. :smile:

LOL, I know!!! I've always been accident prone, but usually not this much so close together...

Yikes, on the snake spotting!!! At least it was dead, even though you didn't know. LOL, I bet you turned on the turbo speed trying to get away!!!

I know you all have already started but I think I will try to start this week as well. How is everyone doing so far? It's been such a long time since I've done any type of running that I think I'm ready for the challenge. Wish me luck!!

Welcome tootie! Good luck with your first run.

OK running 20 minutes is not in the stars for me this week! I can NOT believe what happened today. I was cruising along and feeling great. I actually thought I was going to make it. I'm SURE I was going to make it. Then here comes the lady from the child watch area to get me cause my 2 year old had to use the bathroom and they wont take them! I was so irritated. I threw a little fit LOL I flung my earphones from my MP3 player on the treadmill and stomped in to take her potty. What a dork! Now I am embarassed that I acted like that! Oh well... next time I guess. So.. I ran for 13:45, took my daugther potty and then got back on about 2 minutes later and ran for 7 more.

Georgia - goodness lady! You better take care of that knee. I'd give it a few days break if I was you. I hope you feel better!

Renewed - I made sure I ate AND drank plenty before I went today. I think it does make a huge difference.

Sugarbean - I bet you are glad to have the EVLT finished. Awesome job running before you went. You are motivated!

Kathy - good luck on week 4. You can do it!

I still have not talked myself into giving up my scale for a whole month. I could do a week at a time maybe, but a month!??!? I'd go insane. I'd be throwing little fits like at the YMCA this morning on a daily basis. hehehe

I just finished my first run! :thumbup: It was a little easier than I expected. I was able to do all of the 60 second intervals with out getting too tired or out of breath. I think I surprised myself because I didn't think I could do it. WhooHoo!!

mamato--I am sooo not willing to put the scales away. I have a 10 pound mini goal by August 23rd and I have lost 4 so far and I know if I don't keep track of the scales I may lose focus of my weight loss. My husband and I are going to an awards banquet and conferences in Seattle for 4 days without kids (yay, my dad is staying here with kids!) and I have a not so little black dress I have to fit in.

I did day one of week 5 today...I felt okay...3 five minute runs...I am gonna check to see what day 2 is like, because I can't even imagine doing a 20 minute run on Friday!!!

I have been a little bummed because I indulged in a couple of margaritas and 2 rum and diet cokes on Sat night and the scales said I had gained 3 pounds the next morning. I was thinking "yep, this is what low carb is all about, you lose semi-quickly, but gain it super quickly" but instead of being like my old self that would have said "well, you already ruined, just eat more" the NEW me got right back on track the next day and I have already lost that 3 pound gain (Which I am sure it was mostly Water retention...I ate totally to plan, just blew it with the drinks)

When we go to Seattle towards the end of the month I am a little worried because every year we go to these events and they ALWAYS have so much food around. Every meal is huge, Breakfast lunch and dinner! I know I don't have to eat it all, but it may be hard doing low carb while I am there.