Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

Thanks Kristen!

We went for a drive yesterday in the rain and took our DS to visit his new school - starts on Sept 8. He's quite nervous about the switch so we've been going by there a few times over the summer. When we got there the rain had stopped so we all went over the the playground and discovered they have a grass running track! I wasn't dresses for running, so today we're going back and the whole family is going to run on the track! It should be fun. We'll tell the kids its a race and they will get into the run, and I'll get a chance to run on a softer surface to see how that works on my hip and back.

BTW, I switched back to my old shoes and the ache in my hips and back receeded a bit... so I think the new shoes did impact my gait.

Kathy~ that is great that you found a grass track - that will be fun for the kids to get to run with you!

How long have you had the new shoes? Anyway to return them and see if you can get something else that will work??? Shoes are so spendy!!!

I had a great 5.2 mile run today. It was a slow start, but I made it through the first mile and all the kinks worked out. I was bucked off my horse on Friday morning and landed hard - don't bounce like I used to!!!

I got the shoes about 2 months ago, so I don't think I can return them. I'll just have to wear the old ones for most runs and maybe the new ones once in awhile. Then when I can afford them, I'll go for new ones again with new knowledge.

The grass track was great. It was harder to run on, but felt better on my joints. It was an eye opener for me on my running stride. The grass was cut a little shorter than the field around it... but it was still a little long. So I realized that I don't pick up my feet very far, cause they were dragging through the grass. I ran 3km total, but had to stop cause the kids were whinning :rolleyes:! They ran and walked about 2km and then played in the playground.

We just got back from a 5km walk with the kids and dog! So I think we got our exercise today.

I got the shoes about 2 months ago, so I don't think I can return them. I'll just have to wear the old ones for most runs and maybe the new ones once in awhile. Then when I can afford them, I'll go for new ones again with new knowledge.

The grass track was great. It was harder to run on, but felt better on my joints. It was an eye opener for me on my running stride. The grass was cut a little shorter than the field around it... but it was still a little long. So I realized that I don't pick up my feet very far, cause they were dragging through the grass. I ran 3km total, but had to stop cause the kids were whinning :rolleyes:! They ran and walked about 2km and then played in the playground.

We just got back from a 5km walk with the kids and dog! So I think we got our exercise today.

Ugh, too bad about the shoes.

I found the same thing when I started trail running, I have to pick my feet up. I think I was just barely lifting my foot off the pavement. That could explain the two spills in the first week!!!

At least you got a run and walk in today!

Hey Guys!

So I'm RUNNING! I had to slowly increase my minutes, per doctor's orders, but by Friday I was able to do week 3 of the C25K!! I hate it that I slipped that far back, but my surgery was in May and I hadn't run since.

I'm feeling a little pain in my knee on the side of my injured foot, I hope that doesn't mean my gait is too compromised. I'm runinng on treadmill only to provide maximum cushioning and stability, but I'm doing it.

I'm going to do week 3 this entire week probably and then progress from there if the foot allows it. I'm having some nerve pain, but not a lot, so keep your fingers crossed for me!

I had originaly committed to run a 5k on Oct 3 for autism, but not sure if I'll be ready for it. That only gives me a month to train and I'm only on week 3. It's also on a nascar track and I'm worried about the slant bothering my knees and feet.

Carol - About the stretching. I work with a lady who used to be a personal trainer and she said the same thing as Kristen. She said you actually shouldn't stretch before you run because you can cause yourself to have an injury if your muscles are too stretched before you run. She said warm up for 5 min before you run and stretch after.

I'm so happy to be back! I missed this!

Edited by SuzanneG

WTG Suzanne!! I've got my fingers crossed for you. If you have a tensor bandage for the knee, you might want to use it for a few days.

I agree on the stretching thing. The only thing I do is stretch my calves a bit on the step before I head out. Then I walk about a minute or two and then run. I stretch for about 5 min after... probably not enough, but that's what I do.

Thanks Kathy!

The run went well last night. I'm hopeful that I could be on the mend!

wow, thanks Kristen Suzanne and Kathy! what a relief! i think i'll do just to stretch my shins b4 i run or im afraid i'll have shin splints which is historically what gave me probs when i started running, and a little on the backs of the calves. that will cut my prep time down, but give me the ime to warm up with a walk. i'd alwasys heard i should stretch b4 running but whew i feel better and less concerned that im gonna hurt something.

between the kids and the weather, TOM and exhaustion from work, i havent run at all in a week. i wanna get back out there b4 i slip back. its thundering out now and a bad storm coming so i think tonite is out too. :) Thanks for the advice again girls,

TC,

Carol

Carol~ Glad to help. Hope you can get out there tomorrow. Don't wait too long!

Suzanne~ Yeah! Keep it up! So glad that you are able to get back on the road again.

I was going to run yesterday, but ended up doing an 8 mile hike. It was really fun and a beautiful day. My fanny is sore, so walking up and down the hills was a good thing. Funny - a year ago I could have never hiked that trail and it was really pretty easy!

Kristen - thanks and good for you on the trail!

Carol - do you have a treadmill for foul weather days? It'll be getting cold soon and you'll be needing some way to deal with that.

Well, my runs are going well, but my knee on the injured foot side is starting to bother me. I'm concerned about it. I can't decide if I should run slower maybe or skip an extra day....

Suzanne~ Are you taking a day between runs or running every day? You might want to make sure you are getting at least one full day rest between. You might also try slowing down for one run and see if that helps too.

If it keeps bothering you, you might want to see the doc and see if he has any suggestions. You definitely don't want to create a new injury!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Well Suzanne, no i dont have a treadmill... as for winter weather - sooooo not a problem here, im in south FL. i love the cold for running, not as cold as last year's Komen, which was in the 40s, but it rarely gets that cold here. for me cold is in the 50s, and the temps usually hover around the 70s most of the winter...sorry all of you Northerners... like i said last winter when i started posting here. y'all come down for the winter runs and u can stay w/ me if u want. lol

i cant seem to get my butt in gear lately. I'm either exhausted from work, or its too hot/raining, etc.or the newest problem is a pain in my rt knee. directly under the knee cap when i walk. now the hip is hurting to help things out a bit. will need a nap today maybe i'll be better to run tonite, if not maybe a nice brisk walk and then back to podrunner i think to build back up. i really miss the running, though. so, that is my goal...build back up and go further.

TC all,

Carol

Carol~

Speaking from experience, you need to get back out there as soon as you can. It is so easy to get out of the habit. I had to take an injury break this spring; and 2 weeks lead to 4 and it was almost impossible to get going again.

So take that brisk walk and get back in the habit!!! Keep an eye on the pain and make sure you take care of it and see someone if it gets worse!

See that was your kick in the fanny to hit the road again! Let me know how it goes :frown:

Thanks Kristen.... I know you aimed that at Carol, but I'll take your kick in the butt advice too. I haven't run much lately, and am finding excuses! Today I'm going to run.

thanks soooooo very much kristen. i needed the kick in the butt.

today i saw some friends i havent seen in a very long time, unfortunately it was at my friend's mom's funeral, but the last time i saw them it was about 3-4 yrs ago while i was so heavy. but i felt great (as great as i can under the circumstances) when i told them to feel my leg muscles. they were impressed that thru the skin of course is hard muscle. that was so motivating - more than them telling me i look fantastic. they are stopping by on their way back to their home, so im planning to spend time with them. if i have time i will run tonite, but for me i want to be there for my friend... if i dont have time to run, I'll run tomorrow nite unless theres thunder/lightning.

i want to keep being the motivating force <chuckle> i started to be and keep going.

kathy, i'll share my butt kick with u :wub:

TC all,

Carol