Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

i was just gonna say the same thing basically kristen.

my race was rescheduled for thursday the 6th. weird time i know. but since it is an evening race, and they needed to get the park when they could, i guess it makes sense.

I was only able to do 2 miles last nite. :thumbup: but i have 2 weeks to get back up to my 5k distance. now, whos bright idea was it to taper? oooooh yeah it was whosya's suggestion. unfortunately i think im too new a newbie at running 5k to taper effectively. i'll probably train till the monday b4 the race to make sure i have enough rest time but am still in the groove of the runs.

i need new shoes too. and i have to decide if i will wear the new ones or the old ones. will ask at runner's edge this weekend. would appreciate comments here too.

tc all and g'nite all

Carol

Edited by slinky

liz - come into the chat room here and u will see that not only r u not alone, but this phase is completely normal. u arent doing anything wrong. its called bandster hell. its the period where your band isnt starting to be fully functional yet. it may also take a few fills to get it right. one friend described it as a nail w/o a hammer. another tool image: imagine a tool belt with several tools in it. the band is only one of them. theres exercise - which is good but, you should only start with your doc's approval, since this is the time to HEAL. another tool in your tool belt is the choices you make in general. good food choices, etc. the band is only one tool in your arsenal.

Congrats on starting C25k though. it will help a lot. i hope this helps and if u want to come chat, im there pretty much every nite.

tc,

Carol

thank you!!! i'm just trying to stay mentally strong b/c I know this will pass and I need to keep my good behaviors going and not revert back!!! Oh and i never asked my mD about jogging, i never imagined it'd be bad for me! I will have to ask!!!

Hey Guys,

I just wanted you all to know I'm still here. I read this post everyday, but since I still can't run, I don't have much to add.

The doc is giving me another 8 weeks before he decides if he'll have to operate on my foot again. I'm going to PT twice a week and it seems to be helping but I'm a long way from running. I can walk without a limp in running shoes, but can only walk on my heel in any other shoe. :thumbup:

Keep your fingers crossed. I really need to get back to running.

You guys are doing great! Keep up the good work. :D

i need new shoes too. and i have to decide if i will wear the new ones or the old ones. will ask at runner's edge this weekend. would appreciate comments here too.

tc all and g'nite all

Carol

Carol~ If you start now with the new shoes, you should be good to go. I find that it depends on the shoe that I get. Some need more of a break in period, where I alternate old shoe, new shoe, and others I can just hop into and they are great!

I am off to get new trail running shoes this morning. Ran in an older pair last night and my feet were killing me! I also was very graceful on the single track and went flying, landed on my knees and have a lovely scrape and cuts. Got right back up and kept running. Glad nobody was around to see it, but I am sure there was a squirrel snickering behind a tree somewhere! I am sure I will hit the ground again - I am not very graceful. My mom used to make me take dance when I was little - oh yeah, the big clunky girl and little tutu's!:thumbup:

Hey guys! I know I have been MIA for a while now and I have missed ya'll! I haven't been able to run in a while and I miss it soooo much. I've been having a really rough time lately. I've been diagnosed with cluster headaches. I won't go into all the details right now. I posted in the support section if anyone wants to read it.

I've been trying to catch up on all the posts and I've missed A LOT! I am sooo proud of all you! Lots of new people joined since I left. Welcome all!

I guess I will have to get my running fix by reading everyone else's success! Keep up the good work ya'll!

Georgia... good to hear from you. sorry for your issues!

Kristen... very graceful! I've done that once, on a busy neighbourhood street, and after a few minutes went right on running too!

Suzanne... hang in there. I can't imagine the pain!

I've not been on here as much lately. Kind of busy with work and the kids. I have been running, just not as frequently as I want. I'm going about 2-3 x a week, rather than 4-6x. The weather has been horrible here... thunderstorms every night or massive downpours. And try as I might, I can't get motivated to get on the treadmill - I like running outside so much more!

I've registered for another 5k in Sept. This will be the 2nd time I've run this race. Last year it was my first 5k race. It's the Community in Motion run to help support Community Living London, an organization that supports children and adults with intellectual disabilities. They provide us with support for our 2 kids... great group, and a great family support system.

Kathy~ Glad someone else has taken a tumble :cool2: How fun to be on your second round of 5K races!

GA~ It has been a long time. Hope you can get the headaches under control, sounds miserable.

Well, ran in my new trail shoes today. Had a great run along the river, it was a nice 3.9 mile loop. Ran almost the whole way except for one big huge hill. I saw my supervisor on the trail and he said he can't believe what a difference a year has made. He was happy to see me out running and enjoying myself. Nice to hear those things from other people every once in awhile.

I did it! I completed my sprint triathlon! So excited! Now I need to find another one to go to! LOL!

That's great! There are tons around here. Check out "GoTRIbal" too. It's a group dedicated to promoting triathlon to women. You can see their website at:

www.gotribalnow.com

That's great! There are tons around here. Check out "GoTRIbal" too. It's a group dedicated to promoting triathlon to women. You can see their website at:

www.gotribalnow.com

Mac~ Thanks for the link!

Ok, so DH and I had our Trail Running class this morning. There are alot of people, it was fun. He did the 1/2 marathon group and I did the 10K.

Well, we ran the same trail the other night. So we take off and it was super dusty, but who cares about a little dirt. Then I get to the spot where I fell the other night and guess what? I fell again - exact same spot! I am such a clutz! Bounced back up and kept running, have a scratch on the other knee now.

Hopefully I will get over the falling thing!

Ok, so DH and I had our Trail Running class this morning. There are alot of people, it was fun. He did the 1/2 marathon group and I did the 10K.

Well, we ran the same trail the other night. So we take off and it was super dusty, but who cares about a little dirt. Then I get to the spot where I fell the other night and guess what? I fell again - exact same spot! I am such a clutz! Bounced back up and kept running, have a scratch on the other knee now.

Hopefully I will get over the falling thing!

Wow...you sound like me, lol! I am a clutz too and have fallen several times while running outside. And it never fails...I always twist my ankle when I fall. I'm glad you didn't hurt yourself too badly. Who knew running could be so dangerous? LOL.

Glad you are okay. Take care of yourself!

Wow...you sound like me, lol! I am a clutz too and have fallen several times while running outside. And it never fails...I always twist my ankle when I fall. I'm glad you didn't hurt yourself too badly. Who knew running could be so dangerous? LOL.

Glad you are okay. Take care of yourself!

I might buy some knee pads, just to be safe. When I have to run in a helmet, I think I will call it quits :thumbup: I think I will swim in the morning, just so I don't get any more scrapes!

Kristen - may i suggest a different route??? lol

GA - glad to see u posting again, missed u, and i hope things get better.

Kathy - ttys i hope

well i did a 2 mile run last nite to break in my new asics. ive tried them (and others) twice now and they really seem the best for me. Ive got at least 1 and maybe 2 more practice 5ks b4 the rescheduled official 5k.

for all of u who pray for frivolous things, I may need some help with the weather the night of the 6th @ 7 pm est. thanks :biggrin:

this past weekend i had a problem with a stuck and then dry heaves then lots of pain over nite. called my doc the next day (sat) and he got me into his office within an hour of my call to his service. he unfilled me again, took out 6 of the 7.2 i had in the band, so now the running is gonna be my only wt loss tool in effect for at least 2 wks. then a slow re-fill if he does the same as b4. im so grateful for the running and for y'all. the support you give me, will really be needed coming up to help me through. wt wise anyway. thanks in advance :thumbup:

tc all,

Carol

Edited by slinky

Carol... I'll say a frivolous prayer for your weather! If you say one for me to get the Olympic Torch Run. I'll find out if I get to carry it sometime between July 31 - Aug 5... I hope I hope I hope!!!

I know I haven't posted much lately. I've been kindof in the dumps a bit. I'm still running, not as much, but still running. The weather here has been the worst in a long time. I don't mind the cooler weather, just it rains and thunders sometime everyday for the last 2 months! There are mushrooms in my grass when normally the grass at this time is brown and dried up! Its been so hard to actually get outside to run because of the weather. So that's got me bummed out a bit. Then of course there's money... or lack of it! Who would have thought that being out of work for 4 months a year ago would have put us so far behind still 1 year later, and there is no end in sight of this mess. This has eaten away at my normally optimistic attitude and has sent my DH into an eating frenzy when he was always the healthy one!

Ok, question on the running side of things... I got new shoes awhile ago. They feel great and stop me from turning inside on my right ankle. But in the last month or so, my lower right side back/hip/spine area is throbbing all night long after I run. I stretch it out and it helps for a few minutes but then starts to throb again. I know I have mild arthritis in that hip, but it has never acted up like this from running. Is it possible that the new shoes change my gait or running stance so that it is irritating another part of my body... or am I wishful thinking??

Kathy~ sorry to hear about the weather, it isn't much fun when you can't get out and run! I'll also keep you in my thoughts as you try to get through the financial issues you are having - that is always such a strain on families. I am sending good thoughts and prayers your way for carrying the torch - that would be sooo awesome!

I would take the shoes back into the running store and have them analyze your stride again. The shoes could have changed your gate and now it is showing up in other places. I have an orthodic like insert that I run in and I absolutely love it! Maybe they need to add something to help balance you out - or maybe they need to get you into a different shoe? I know that is not what you wanted to hear. Check it out sooner rather than later before it becomes an issue with your running!

Slinky~ Praying for good weather!

So I ran the route again - I know, stubborn - and I finally ran it without falling! Had a really strong run and felt good about conquering that trail! I did not realize how much harder it would be to run single track, but it really is fun! The altitude is definitely a factor, too, we live at 3200ft but we are much higher when we do the trail runs. Oh well, I come home all dirty and I have seen some great views, so it is worth it!