Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

I did my first 5k when I was around week 10 or so. I completed it in 44min, ran the whole way... but I was slow. I finished about 2/3 back, as there were lots of run/walkers and walkers. Chances are there will be lots slower than you.

BTW, I've been at this for awhile now and I still run my 5k in about 38 to 40 min, and I'm perfectly fine with that. Slow and steady, happy and proud!

here's another of my long-winded posts...

tonite i had an interesting running/learning experience. i ran at a local park after dinner which consisted of bbq at the park with friends.

lesson 1: dont run immediately after eating. I did fine, really. i wanted to make sure i got my run in so when i realized i was losing daylight and we'd need to get the kids home soon, i asked if anyone minded that i go for my run. and i did since hubby and all there said go for it. like i said i did fine, but wasnt the most comfortable during the first run interval. Im on w4d2, BTW. not as easy as w3. but completed the whole 16 mins of running!

lesson 2: this is a lesson for me for right now, and hopefully part of it will change. dont listen to nonrunners who tell u its easier to run on mulch than asphalt. i listened to one of our friends who said hes "run a cpl times." said he likes running on mulch (chopped up bark-for u northerners) since its easier on his knees. I tried it. i hated it. felt sluggish and not sure footed at all. i felt that because of the uneven texture that i had to work harder at staying level and balanced. my feet hurtmuch more because of it. as soon as i switched back to the asphalt i did much better. I may go to the park again. it was very nice seeing other ppl there and lots of runners too. everyone smiled at me, and i didnt feel like i was the fat girl trying to run and looking ridiculous!

also it was the first time any of my family actually saw me run. the kids were very very supportive. hubby - who knows? he said hi as i went by. we'll chat about that another time. :/

thanks for reading,

Carol

oops forgot to add this: YAY WTG Kathy!!! u will do great at your race, i know this, cuz i see your dedication to yourself and your fitness in all of your posts! and WOO HOO on the clothes. i just love finding 1 or 2 pieces to mix and match w/ old stuff when i find something that looks great. Keep it up and u will start to fit into those 14s to the point where u feel comfortable in public! Very proud of u!

Carol

Hi everyone! As this is such a popular thread, i'm placing the link here to another thread that was started yesterday.

I've talked with LBT and was asked to put the thread out here to see how much interest there is. It's voting, but you can also reply if you have suggestions, questions, comments, etc. It's about having a LBT 5K Run!

Click the link below to see the other thread, vote, and/or make comments and suggestions.

The thread title is: "Vote: Would you be interested in a local 5K run?"

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f178/vote...-5k-run-91026/

Thanks! And hopefully we'll get enough interest to do this!

Tkl (aka Rhonda)

Mamato3

I ordered the Biggest Loser 30-Day Jump Start book. It has been amazing help to me. I am exercise challanged too. This book starts you out at a slow pace and you build on it. It will take me more than the 30 days todo the JUMP START because I started myself at the beginner level. The book goes in to "picture" and written detail how to do the exercises. It also has some great food recipes in it too. But I mostly got it for the exercise.

This post is to document my intention on starting on this when I am cleared for excercise (should be on 4-27). I have never been a long distance runner and in the past I have used Bike Riding as my cardio workout. I have a partner to run with so this should be interesting.

Right now at my weight there is no way I could ever think about doing that. BUT when I get shed of a lot of pounds, I'm going to do that and amaze not only myself but a whole lot of other people I know!

There are people over 300 lb. who do triathlons too.

I think people should "just do it". You can start really slow and it may take you a long, long time, but that's better than waiting until conditions are just so.. It's part of what my mentor calls being an "imperfect athlete".

I agree. I'm over 200 and i'm doing a mile already, working up to the 5K. The thing to remember when starting out, I think, is that you won't start out doing the full distance. You need to work up to it. But I have always loved to run, just wasnt able to do it in the last few years. Now I can, and I am! I'm hoping to do a 5K the end of the summer or early fall, or, maybe both!

Good luck to all!

Hey Guys,

I'm on WEEK 9 of the C25K! Yeah me!

So here's the thing. I'm still really slow. I have a question for you veterns. I am signed up for a 5k on May 9th. Currently, at week 9, I'm running 30 minutes, but only getting about 2.6 miles in and that includes my 5 min warmup and 5 min cooldown. So I have a long way to go to get the full 3.1 miles.

After this week, should continue to add time to my run each week in an effort to eventually get to 3.1 miles? OR Should I keep it at 30 mins and focus on increasing my speed to attempt to get up to 3.1 miles?

I'm concerned that I won't be ready for the race. I haven't run on the ground at all still, just the treadmill.

Mac, Whosya, Kathy, et al, words of wisdom?

I was in your same place when I was at week 9. I would do two things.

1) Keep adding time. Most likely you'll end up running the 5k in the 35-40 min. range so you need to be able to run for more than 30 min.

2) Start doing interval training. This is fast work, followed by slow work. It will really increase your speed so you can do the 5K in a reasonable amount of time.

I do my interval training with a coach at a track, but you can do it on your own with the treadmill. Just increase your speed and try to run at the higher speed for as long as you can. Then drop back to the lower speed to recover. When you feel recovered, increase your speed again.

Do at least one interval workout a week and one "long run" a week. The rest you can do what you want.

The combination of the interval training and running longer each week really helped me and I was able to do a whole 5K in my treadmill session about a week before my race.

Mac - Thanks! I'll give it a go!

Suzanne

Here are my words of wisdom...take them for what they're worth as a novice runner. I did 2 5k walks and 1 6k before I started training the C25k program. At one of the 5ks and the 6k, I sprinted a bunch of times. (my own version of the program) Im not sure what to tell you about the time/distance training, but heres my suggestion. Find a way to run outside a few times b4 your race. Even run (or walk/run) the course if you can. The treadmill and the road will be much different. I cant do a treadmill at all, but ive noticed that on different roads and textures of running surfaces, I run differently. Just look at my post from the other day...about trying to run on mulch. Hope this helps!

Carol

Carol, Thanks I did see your post about the mulch. There is a school near my house with a dirt/gravel track. I think I'll see if DH will go there with me Sat morning so I can try that out.

The 5K is on blacktop. I've walked/jogged it the previous 2 years and know the route, but I've never tried to run the whole thing. I'm going to try though!