Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

... and I think I may give the nike running tool a try... does it only work with nike shoes or can you put the chip in other shoes?

Those of you that have the nike running tool, is it worth it?

Regarding training, do any of you ever run 2 days in a row or is it best to have a rest day in between?

I love my Nike+ and would love it even more if I could get it properly calibrated...it is typically a tenth of a mile low. I can't wear Nike shoes, so I have a sensor pouch. Started with this one ( [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Marware-Sportsuit-Sensor-Sport-Black/dp/B000ID6DTG?&camp=212361&linkCode=wsw&tag=podophile-20&creative=380789]Amazon.com: Marware Sportsuit Sensor Case for Nike + iPod Sport Kit for iPod nano 3G (Black): Electronics[/ame] ) and hated it. Found this one ( [ame=http://www.switcheasy.com/products/Runaway/Runaway.php#]Welcome to SwitchEasy[/ame] ) and love it.

As for running days, there have been numerous times I have ran 2 days in a row and I noticed no ill effects. I personally can't run 3 days in a row (as I rudely found out) but I also have a unique situation with my health.

I have never picked up any type of fitness magazine. Not willingly and not to read for any kind of personal interest...Until today. I was leaving the kitchen at work where we have a bookcase for staff to find books to read, cast-offs no longer wanted, magazines - old and new and something caught my eye as i was walking past. it was this: Competitor Southeast The front of the magazine was of a woman running, and i looked. kept looking (staring, really) for like 20 seconds. Afraid some of my colleagues would come by and think i'm nuts (i'm a clinical social worker BTW and work with a lot of psychotherapists - lol) i picked up the mag and headed to my office where i proceeded to close my door and began thumbing through this thing.

Knowing i didnt have the time to read any of the articles in it, i just looked at some of the article titles and the calendar of events. Now, y'all may know that i live in south FL where we have great weather most of the year. cool warm hot and hotter generally describes it, so there are events almost every weekend of the year. from 1 mile fitness walks and kids events to tris, marathons and (what did Whosya call them?) Ollies. Im still a newbie to running and may never make it past a 5k run or duathalon if im really lucky. anyway, see if you can look up this mag for your area. Mine is Competitor southeast, i saw other locations online too, it's a nice little magazine that got my blood going, to the point that i may actually start thinking of myself as a "running ehthusiast" if not an athlete just yet. its exciting and a bit confusing for me in terms of what i think of as my personality.

If you look at any of the events down here (especially winter ones for all of you northerners wanting some warmth when its -5 or whatever out) and want to come for a race, let me know. I have a spare room if you dont mind a couple kids and a cat getting in your way. I could have written a lot more, but thought id give you a break, plus im at work and have to get back to it. lol.

have a great weekend!

Carol

I had a great run today. Walked 3 min. to warm up. Then ran 33 at 5.0, then walked 2, then ran out the time, still at 5.0, and 2 min. cool down.

I can't believe I can run at 5.0 now. I remember when 4.6 seemed really, really fast. 5.0 actually seems a bit slow but my heart rate was pretty high so I didn't want to go faster.

quote=BeantownDiva;1151897Hi Everyone!

Ninner and those that do your own music... do you just keep time of walking/running intervals with your own watch? The Ulfrey (sp?) music does make me a little nuts and I know so many good pop /RB/hip hop songs that just make me want to run and run... I think next month I am going to get a nano to use just for working out. I have been told it's not ideal to run with the iPod 60 anyway... and I think I may give the nike running tool a try... does it only work with nike shoes or can you put the chip in other shoes?

After week six there is no more interval timing. You warm up, run for a set time and cool down, as for the shoes on my non nike plus ones I cut a hole in the tongue and slide the sensor in but a pouch will work.

Those of you that have the nike running tool, is it worth it?

Yes it allows me to see my speed and trend workouts against each other.

Ninner how are your feet btw?

There good, I just can't run in the same shoes 3 times in a row. don't know why, just can't or they hurt. I need to go into Houston and find a running store to have some shoes fitted. Anyone have recomendations for a place to have shoes fitted in Houston or Corpus.

Thanks, as always, for everyone’s posts and support J

Beanie/quote

Whosya... Congrats on the Triathalon!! How short is "short"? How did you do the bike portion inside?

I took 2 days off due to work activities. Then ran yesterday. I was really stiff and couldn't go very far. Probably tired from some late night activities. I plan to run this evening, so hopefully it will be a bit better than yesterday.

I went to see the Toronto Leafs play the Columbas Blue Jackets the other night. Our company has a Box, so I was there entertaining a customer. First time in the box for me... cool!!! (((((I'm not a hockey fan)))))... I whispered that - afterall, I am Canadian! LOL! Good thing I was in the box, as I got to socialize rather than focus on the game. However, it did go into sudden death overtime and then a shoot out! Of course my team (Leafs) lost, but really... that's ok!

finished an indoor Triathlon this morning!!! Yaaaah. it was short but sooo much fun. its got me uber excited about this season.

Short, huh? lol. Awesome, Whosya! YAY!!! WOO HOO! Glad u r doing so well! It inspires me every time I hear about your continued success. (A triathlon short.) *Carol is amused and shaking her head in wonder at how cool it is that Whosya thinks of a tri as "short."*

I decided to continue, today at least, to do another day of week one. (anyone know if i should take it one day at a time or plan on a whole week?) I feel myself getting stronger when i run! Lungwise, i feel great like i can move on, but i think these blasted shins of mine need more conditiong b4 i do move on. I went to fit 2 run yesterday and had my stride analyzed. Found out that im pretty neutral in my stride and my asics are the right fit for me, so i didnt need to buy new shoes. Yay, so now im gonna save up for a nike+ maybe. The guy at f2r asked me what my pace is and i had no idea...i also learned that i definitely dont like treadmills. do not feel confident at all on them, but i was only on for a couple minutes so no dizzyness. it was nice, though having the kid that fitted my shoes tell me congrats for losing the 60#! Of course to look at me i dont have a runner's body (YET). but im getting the runner's heart. Woo Hoo!

Well todays run was much better than yesterday! I did struggle with my head at the beginning... funny how that still gets in the way once in awhile! It kept telling me... "oh you're still too tired; just run for a few minutes; the kids need you; etc; etc" But I kept going and after 10 min, I was on a roll and went for the full 30 min.

My DH took the dog outside to run today. We want to train her to run with us. So far, we've got her up to a fast trot (my normal pace LOL) for about 2.5 km. Hopefully by the summer she can run a full 5k with me. Not bad for an old gal - she's 6 (LOL - that's me in dog years!).

I'm also going to get my son on the treadmill, I think. I'm a bit nervous about that, given his mental capacity. But I think he'll like trying it, as long as we're there with him. He likes to run, and last fall we had him running 1/4 mile laps, so I'm hoping the treadmill will hold his interest and get him running.

Whosya... Congrats on the Triathalon!! How short is "short"? How did you do the bike portion inside?

Thanks! It was a super sprint. 1/4 mile swim (18laps)

5 mile bike (Stationary spin bike)

and a 2.5 mile run on the indoor track

I came in about 43 mins.

To compare my GB tri is

1/2 mile swim

29mile bike

6.2 mile run (10k)

:hurray:

WTG Whosya!! You rock!!!

I have taken the last 2 days off. I felt like I was about to really wear myself out if I didn't take a break. I'll be hitting it stong tomorrow again. I think I'm going to try to run Mon-Fri every week and take Sat and Sun off. I'm soooo lazy on the weekends, lol.

Renewed.....how's it going? Haven't heard from you lately. Hope the move is still going well!

Kathy...Way to power through that run!!!

Nevermind. I thought I was in the other thread.

You guys are all amazing. I can't imagine getting to where you are now, but I'm giong to push as far as I can to what I'm capable of.

I start week4 day1 tonight. FIVE MINUTES? Seriously, I hope I can do it!

Hi All-

Thanks SO MUCH for all the replies regarding the Nike+. I think I may give it a try. Is that the one that talks to you? I seem to remember someone laughing about hearing Lance Armstrong tell them they'd done a great job on some program....

DeGirl, I am the same way, Nike running shoes don't typically work for me. I do well with Adidas and may try Asics (sp?) this time. We have a great place in Beantown called Marathon Sports and they analyze your movement and then put you on a treadmill with the new shoes to check. I am due for a new pair. Thank you for all the info on your sensor experiences!!!

Whosya... sorry, I must have misread... did you say your triathalon felt short?? :-p you crazy dude! But congrats, that is so amazing!

Kathy glad you had fun at the game, our Bruins seem to have fallen off the wagon as far as winning anything! Also, WTG on taking care of YOU and getting the time for the run!

Georgia I will be interested to see how you do with the mon-fri thing. It’s tough for me on the weekends too, esp the weekends we have my stepson with us.

Ninner I am glad that your feet are a little better…. That’s odd that you can’t run in the same shoes… curious!

Suzanne, we are ALL amazing!!! Forget the running for a moment, just the fact that we are all on this board trying to make healthy choices for ourselves (including but not limited to the Band) says that there is something incredible in all of us! That’s awesome that you are on Week 4! I start Week 3 this week, can’t wait to see how it goes!

Hi to Slinky, Mac et al J

Beanie

Edited by BeantownDiva

Georgia, I am good. Still trying to get settled in. Lots to do, and so far from being done. I haven't been exercising at all. I have a goal to start back on Monday. I hope to be pretty much unpacked by then. I think I am going to do more weight training than running. I will probably run 2 ays a week and weight train the rest. My body has just quite dropping pounds. It seems I stay the same weight whether I run or not. I havven't decided for sure what I will do, but whatever it is, it begins on Monday.

Thanks for checking in on me. Hopefully I won't be so MIA much longer.

Suzanne... You can do it!!! 5 min is a hard hurdle to get over, but you can!!! If you need to just slow your run down a bit until you feel right. Don't get discouraged by comparing to us. Remember, we were right there with you a few months ago... just started earlier that's all! Soon you'll be powering through right along with us. It doesn't take long, but its important to get the basic body conditioning first. I can't tell you how much that has helped me. I hated running, but for some reason by following the C25k program, I built up my bone/muscle structure enough and my heart health so that I could do it, and better yet... I wanted to do it! Keep it up... you're doing amazing!