Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

Having the nike plus is helping me alot because I can see the small speed gains each run and worry less about the speed walkers on the track passing me.

Hey another Nike Plus Bloke!!! YOu should get on our Challange!

I have a question. I want to start the couch to 5 k program and was planning on doing it at lunch. I have started walking with a coworker and want to continue. Can I jog next to her and count the time will that be as good of a work out?

Any suggestions for more energy?

Suzanne, my energy has been awful lately. With the virus this week, it's even worse. The other day, I bought a liquid B complex supplement with B12. I've only been using it a couple of days, so I can't really say yet if it's working but I'll let you know.

I know Renewed and Georgia have followed (successfully I think) a low carb diet. But I can't do that. I tried it for a week and couldn't sustain enough energy to run.

I can do well on a low carb diet IF I'm not doing much exercise. I had stop doing low carb when I bumped up the running because I was getting soooo drained. I try to stick to whole grain carbs too for the most part.

Well, we have had a really rough week. I thought I was over my virus Monday, but I guess it wasn't done with me. Today is the first day I have felt half way decent. Poor DH was much sicker than me though...from Monday till today. I think we had the longest virus in history, lol.

Still don't have much energy but I managed to make it to the gym tonight. I did 4 miles on the treadmill. I walked a good bit of it but it felt good to get back at it.

Everyone is doing sooooo well. Keep it up!!

I still can't find my receiver for my Nike+. You can buy new sensors but you can't buy new receivers so I'm going to have to buy the whole kit over again. I'm very annoyed!

Carol... good luck tomorrow! I hope your weather is good, and remember to look around, take it all in and enjoy the race!

Georgia... I hope you & your family feel better soon. Nothing like getting the "iky" as a family!

Ninner... if you PM Whosya with your email address he can set you up on the challenge for Nike+. I agree with you... I got the Nike+ for Christmas and it has been such a great tool for me. It motivates me to see the details on my computer and to see my progress. Then, being in the challenges drives me to keep going.

Whosya... maybe you should post the team challenge status now!!!! Salsa finally joined the challenge and all of her runs added in!!! Oh it feels nice to be out front, even though its not me personally that did it! LOL.

Beantown... hope the auditions went well.

MacMadam... what a bummer!

Minxz... Welcome! Go ahead and do your runs at lunch. Anyway, anyhow, you can count the runs!

Happy Friday the 13th everyone! I was so hoping the good weather would hold until the weekend so that I could run outside. We had a huge melt, which caused lots of flooding, and now the roads/sidewalks are all clear. Of course - today the temp dropped and it snowed again :frown:. Not sure if it will be good tomorrow or not. But if possible, I'm getting out tomorrow afternoon for a nice long run. Tonight will have to be the treadmill again.

I went to the chiropractor last night. I haven't seen him in a few months and he was just amazed at my size/shape! It was kind of funny!

So I'm still without my receiver and I had to leave work early to pick up my bike so no final "Couch to 5K" workout. I think I'm going to consider myself graduated though. I ran on Mon & Tues and my "New to the Sport" workout tomorrow is going to include some running so that's my 3 runs a week.

I've decided that in the gym I will work on increasing the amount of time I run until I can run the full 4 miles and let my other workouts (track, NTTS) work on my speed.

I signed up for a 5k race on March 15th. It's part on Irish festival for St. Patrick's Day.

MacMadam... congrats on signing up for your St. Patty's race.

I haven't signed up yet, but plan to run in a 5k of April 5th and another on Apr 26. The first one is a huge race here in the city for Retina research. It usually has about 2000 people in it. The other is in a small town not too far away for Autism. My son is not officially autistic, but the Docs and most of us think he is somewhere in the autism spectrum, plus we have a few friends with autistic kids... so I plan to raise money for that one.

I've been checking on the races and they are starting pretty soon here... nothing close by in March, but 3-4 in Apr and a bunch each month until Nov. So I think I'm going to try running 1 per month.

Opps... it posted before I was done...

I ran intervals again tonight. This time I pushed my top speed but took a longer recovery time, and it worked a lot better. Over 20 min, I avg 4.9 mph, which is really fast for me!!! I am wiped though, and only did 20min cause its late and its been a really long week. Plus I want to try for a really long run tomorrow at the park.

Mac....sorry about your nike+ receiver. Congrats on signing up for the 5K.

Kathy....one 5k per month?? That's AWESOME!!!!

I've been looking for another 5K to enter, but there's not very many around here. The only one I could find for this month is tomorrow and DH couldn't get off. I was hoping to do one in Albany next month, but when I looked it up online....it's a marathon, half marathon, and a one mile fun run.

I think I'm finally feeling like myself again. I did 5 miles on the treadmill today. I walked quite a bit of it. I've been working on my speed, so about half way through I did high speed intervals (5.5 mph, which is super speed for me, lol). This speed thing is waayyy harder than I thought it would be. My goal is to be able to run a 5k straight at 5.0 mph. Hopefully I'll get there one day, lol.

I ran yesterday and today, but they weren't me best runs. It's been a rough week, my 1 year cancer diagnosis anniversary and then today found out my gallbladder has to come out. Have any of you had to have yours removed?

I hope that the surgery can be scheduled soon (if it has to happen), for selfish reasons. I HAVE to run the Gate-to-Gate 4.4 mile run this year...LOL!

My goal is to be able to run a 5k straight at 5.0 mph. Hopefully I'll get there one day, lol.

You'll get there! I started the C25K back in September running at a 4.5mph. I can now run 5 miles straight at 5.0mph.

I had mine out in '89. Open! They do it lap these days and it's not that big a deal. Plus no more gallbladder attacks!

Georgia... my goal is to get the 5k in under 35 min, which is just a bit faster than 5.0mph. I hope to be able to do that by end of summer. Right now I typically do it between 37 to 38 min.

DeGirl... I had mine out in 1993, when laproscopic was really new. I recovered very quickly and was back to work in 3 days (had to... no sick pay then). The lapband surgery was pretty similar for me, so don't worry, its no big deal! BTW, did you read Whosya's post a long time ago about writing the word Cancer on the bottom of your running shoes? That way every time you run, you're stomping out cancer! I did it, as its such a family medical tradition!