Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

Wow what a week! I ended up having to take 4 days off running, and not sure if I will be able to run tonight! After my muscle strain on Mon., I rested as suggested on Tue. Then Wed I had plans with DH, so couldn't find time. Thu I was out of town until the wee hours of the morning. So although I wanted to run, I never found the opportunity.

Yesterday I wore my new "sexy" high boots and pencil skirt. I attended a design school presentation and cocktail reception, and have to admit... I looked fine! But OMG, my feet hurt today! These were 4" heals, and I did a lot of walking in downtown Toronto. Plus, I wore them to work today with my new jeans! So my poor feet are screaming at me.

I'm going to give the run a try, but I don't think it will be very successful!

DH had the treadmill company in today to tune up our treadmill. We've had it for 3-1/2 years, so it was time. They told him that the treadmill is in excellent shape. They just recalibrated it a bit.

I'm off to St. Paul on Sun to Thu next week. I haven't decided if I will take my laptop with me... so if I don't I'll be offline for awhile. I do plan to run while I'm there.

Renewed... you have got to get back up on that treadmill and shake off your mood. You're spiraling into a self fulfilling prophesy of "run hatred". Stop telling yourself "I'll start my schedule tomorrow" and just get on the treadmill and get it done! Then start your schedule, and stick to your plan. You can't go full force 24/7 and not burn out. You have to pace yourself. Please start back, cause you've accomplished so much to give into the "dark side" now!

I finished the 9 weeks! Now What????

I was planning on adding 2 min more to my runs next week. Not sure where to go from here. Do you find it better to run for a set time or to run for miles?

I have a 5K coming up in March, so I was going to have my DH drop me off 3.1 from the house and run home for practice. Of course it will be hilly and the race in March won't have that much of an elevation change, so I figure if I can make it at home, I can make it on race day!

Any suggestions?

Krtork... How far are you running now at the end of week 9? If you're close the the 5k distance, then adding a few minutes will help build your endourance. If you know the course route for your race, train on it if you can. However, just running the 5k around your house will help prepare you too. Now that you've finished, there really are no rules. I tend to run a few long runs each week and a few shorter ones. I also run between 5-6x per week. Pick your favourite music and have fun.

Carol... I hope your race goes well today!!! I bet you're already there, so sending positive thoughts your way.

Hi, Kathy and GA,

Thanks for the great encouragement!

Hi All,

I have to tell you that i'm really disappointed in my race today. The cold weather really affected me badly. And for all of you cold weather ppl...cold here is a very big deal.

when youre used to an average temp of around 75, and specifically around this time of year the avg temp is around 68, running and walking in 45 degree weather is really hard to do. In my own defense, i heard even experienced runners saying the cold affected their run.

My time was 52:44:95. :thumbup: And yes i know its 5 mins better than my last race, but i had worked on my own to get it to about 45 mins. I'm trying not to be too hard on myself and especially not give up. I think if i could have been under 50, I'd have dealt with it better. now to get to some serious training after i take a couple days rest.

I also learned something about myself in relation to my running, and i dont really know what it means. Maybe some suggestions would be helpful here. When i sprint/walk at home it's basically my meditation time. Solitude, concentration and day dreaming ensue. But being in the race with soooo many ppl, (the news here anticipated that ther were 21,000 ppl patricipating in one level of the race or another.) was very distracting. I need to figuure out if i need to do more on my own or make myself work out with other ppl.

I'm gonna go take a nap and maybe post more later.

Carol

Carol... I know that all of our encouragement and "great jobs" are sincere, but can't replace the disappointment you feel inside. I'm sorry it wasn't the success you'd hoped for. Having said that, I'm still going to say... I'm so proud of you! You shaved a lot of time off your last race, you trained so hard for this, you got out there and ran/walked through the race with SOOOO many people, and you did it in very cold (for you... LOL) weather. To everyone else you were a huge success. So bask in our happiness for you! Be tough on yourself another day.

As for the learning you had... that's great. I know when I ran my race, I found it very different than running on my own. With all the people there cheering me on, it was both exciting, but also distracting. I only had a few hundred people in my race, so I can't imagine having 21000 people. I would have found that too daunting to try. In fact, when I did run my race, I chose to enter the smaller, less known race rather than the "Run for the Cure" race, just cause I was afraid of all the people.

I learned from my race too, and now like to run where there are lots of people. In the spring I'm looking forward to going to our park to run, which always has lots of runners, walkers, bikers, etc.

Congrats on finishing the race! This is definately way better than many people ever do! This is living at its best.

Kathy....Have a good trip! We'll miss you.

Carol...I second what Kathy said. Even thought you didn't get the time you expected, I'm very proud of you! Don't be so hard on yourself! You finished and you improved your last time. That's what it's all about. Congrats!!

Sorry Whosya...took yesterday and today off. I have pink eye. Didn't want to risk spreading it at the gym and we all know what happens when I run outside, lol. I promise to hit it hard tomorrow.

Ok ppl! I'm officially giving myself a break now! i needed the night to put things in perspective. Maybe i was just over tired and too sensitive about my times, so i'm back on track emotionally about the race. I am looking into doing another one in a couple months. It'll be warmer then amd maybe using Kathy's suggestion to do a less well known race so fewer ppl will participate...might be less intimidating and distracting. for now i'll research the c25k plan and actually train. im thinking about going for a walk today, but might take the day off to continue my recuperation from the sinus thing. I'm off and on today since its superbowl. Have a great week, all!

carol

kathy~ Have a good trip! Thanks for the info. I am running close to 3miles at home. I figured if I kept adding minutes, I could add a longer run once or twice a week.

Whosya, How do you keep from getting burned out!!

Gosh i had this HUGE awnser all typed out and my connection went down and i lost it. Ahhhhhh.

Carol: You did GREAT!!! Every run is never wasted. Its all valuable experiance!! you shaved time off you last one and you experiance cold conditions! Im proud of you.

Georgia: PLEASE dont run outside!! Take time off...i need you 100% fit for us!

Is there something I'm missing about GA running outside??? Guess so. I'll have to read back a while it seems.

Whosya, thanks for the encouragement. I think I have it in perspective again, considering that I am already looking for a new race to do. I need to do one in more hospitable conditions though. If I need to chalk this one up to experience with the cold so be it, but now that ive been there and done that, I dont feel compelled to do THAT particular scenario again any time soon. LOL. Even thinking warm thoughts didnt help.

The coolest thing that came out of this race for me is a really awesome NSV. Ive had several (like 6) of my non-banded friends say to me that they'd be interested in doing some training with me for a 5K!!!!! One said she finds me an inspiration for the wt loss and trying to get fit! Now, thats what I call motivating. I get so much encouragement from all over now, but especially from my band friends. THANKS Y'ALL!!!!

Carol

Georgia: PLEASE dont run outside!! Take time off...i need you 100% fit for us!

Okay okay...I didn't. LOL. Pink eye is better so I will hit the gym this evening.

Is there something I'm missing about GA running outside??? Guess so. I'll have to read back a while it seems.

Carol...accident prone is a good word to describe me, lol. I've had 3 different injuries from running outside....a twisted knee, and 2 twisted ankles. I'm givng up on running outside for now. Although....I am thinking of doing a 5k this month, so we'll see.

Edited by georgia girl