Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

I need some advice. I started the c25k this week.I'm running on a treadmill since it's cold outside. I am unfamiliar with a treadmill. I put the incline on 3 and the speed on 3.5. I did the intervals with these settings. Is this ok? I tolerated it fine, so should I continue to increase the speed? Any help appreciated!

Georgia... glad you took yesterday off, but not today :scared2: LOL! Congrats on the 3m straight!!!! You deserve to pull ahead of me for that (ok, in 1 challenge you're way ahead, and in 1 I'm slightly ahead, so I guess we're even)

Lyn... I missed you! I'm so glad you're enjoying yourself! My bad girl advice is to enjoy yourself, just to make sure you find 30 min each day to workout. Then any damage you do will be negated. But if that's not what you wanted to hear, and you're being good... I would go with vodka. Its very versitile and low in cals and fat. I'm still pulling and praying for your job, even if you won't find out for a few more weeks!!!

Scalingdown... Welcome! The C25k program is excellent. I would suggest you try different speeds and inclines to see what works for you. I started in the summer, and I ran at between 4.0 to 4.3 mph at a 0 incline. Now I run at between 4.5 to 5.0 and still at a 0 incline, although I have started to experiment with the incline a bit. One little bit of advice... don't run on the incline all the time. If you always have it up, then it will put a lot of strain on your joints, especially your knees and hips. Good luck.

Renewed... where are you my all or nothing friend!!! Don't give up, just keep on running!!! Oh, I forgot about your PS revision... you probably can't run right now. Sorry! But still visit us!

Hello from sunny St. Martin! DH and I have been here one week and have two more glorious weeks in paradise. I have been a good girl and have been watching food intake. There is a gym in our condo complex - haven't made it there yet, but it is in the plan for the next two weeks.

I have been drinking alcohol and was wondering if anyone know what would be the least in calories. Wine? Vodka, etc. I am not a drunk; but I do enjoy a drink by the pool each day. I would hate to be passing up all these great Desserts only to be gaining weight in alcohol. No scales here either.

Advise please.

Kathy- I wont hear about the job until I get home from vacation:(.

Vodka will have less sugar than say rum or most wines. Rum has a ton of carbs. Red wine is good for antioxidants and a dry wine has less sugar than a sweet wine. I prefer vodka and a lite mixer such as crystal light or light juice. Have a great time!!!

Hey Kathy, I am not having the revision surgery until Monday, so I can't use that excuse. We are all fighting off a cold. Sore throat, cough, etc. We have also been working on the land stuff. We met with the well people and Tony and i put an electrical pole in the ground tonight. Too bad that can't count as exercise. The biggest thing though is that I so battle this all or nothingness. I hate it. It is such a mind game. We will be out most of tomorrow. There is so much to do to get ready for this move, but I can't forget my exercise in the process... I will run tomorrow....I will run tomorrow....

BTW, Little Dylan's foot is pretty yucky. It doesn't look infected, but when I was cleaning it tonight a layer of skin came off of the deepest part of the wound. It just wiped right off. He is being such a trouper I know it hurts terribly. Poor little guy!!

I ran 47 min today and I ran for 35 of it and got the whole 5k in.

Thanks for your help!I am quite sore this morning. Lesson learned. I'm glad you have a rest day in between runs. I did 2 days of the run so far and have done Wii Fit the other days. I don't know what i would do without this website, and I really have enjoyed this thread for motivation and information.

MacMadam... Whew Hoo!!! Congrats! What an amazing accomplishment! You're probably right on my Nike+ heals, if not ahead!!

Scalingdown... Yeah, I still get sore on some days. Make sure you stretch. You'll soon figure out which muscles hurt the most frequently, and learn to stretch them. Mine is my calves and glutes, so I always stretch them. I stand on a step and one foot at a time, I put the weight on one foot and let the heal drop lower than the step. It is a good pain! Then for my glutes I lay on the floor on my back, with knees bent. Then cross one leg over and rest that ankle on the other knee. Then slowly raise the knee up towards my chest, stretching the glut from the opposite side.

Renewed... I hope you all feel better soon. Fight that all or nothingness!!! Did you take Dylan to the hospital or doctors?? I know you're a nurse and know these things... I just get scared with burns. Infection can set in so easily. I'll say a prayer for him to heal fast.

I ran again last night. That's 4 days in a row, and 6 out of 7 days, for a total of 15 miles! I didn't think I had it in me.

I need some advice. I started the c25k this week.I'm running on a treadmill since it's cold outside. I am unfamiliar with a treadmill. I put the incline on 3 and the speed on 3.5. I did the intervals with these settings. Is this ok? I tolerated it fine, so should I continue to increase the speed? Any help appreciated!

I started out walking at 3.5mph, running at 4.5mph with an incline of 1. I still do the same walking speed and incline, but my running speed is 5.0mph for 45 minutes straight.

Hey i am going to start a new challenge on Nike plus with teams!

I am teaming with Georgiagirl (sorry no choice for u)

Please let me know whos in and i will pair you up on your ability.

Bea1128 needs to get nice plus!!

Thanks

I am guessing i am going to have to count renewed out for this one.

Count me IN!!!!! My revision is very superficial. I will have it done Monday and plan to keep going without much problem.

Kathy, I have not taken Dylan to the doctor, but I probably will on Monday. I really think it is ok, but I want our Dr to look at it just to be sure. Even being a nurse, I don't like burns..

Kathy, I have talked to the Dr and we are putting prescription medicine (silvadene) on it. But I just think I will feel better if he sees it!

Hi Everyone,

I'm Carol...my friend Whosya suggested that I finally join you. I periodically follow his progress and so I've occasionally read your posts, too. I'm banded. Have been since 12/19/07, and started my exercise walking. I still walk which is why I hesitated joining you. I didnt consider myself a real runner. Then in Oct, a few days before my 45th birthday, I walked my first 5k race. I wasnt up to running at all then. A few sprints here and there to help my wt loss, but that's it. I had 3 goals for that race which I met. 1. I wanted to fnish, but I knew that wasnt a problem. 2. I wanted to not be last - I came in next to last in my age category. LOL and 3. I wanted to walk it in under an hour. I did it in 57.12.

Then all hell broke loose, when my band slipped. After 1 ER visit and another brief hospitalization, I had a total UFILL on my band. I was on a plateau for 3+ months. My doc has been gradually refilling the band and WOW for me I think I may have really good restriction for the first time, maybe!

Back to running: to compensate for the unfill, I started increasing my sprinting gradually and until my last fill appt, Id hovered at the same dang wt, only gaining 3# over the holidays which I feel is pretty good. I'm down to a 14 min mile, throwing in a bunch of sprints to my "walk." At this point I may be sprinting almost as much as walking. I did 16 sprints out of 5k. My latest practice times have been 47 mins and 45 mins. Unofficial of course...

Next Sat, the 31st is my next official 5k. The Komen Race for the Cure, here in West Palm Beach, FL and I'm hoping to keep my time to approximately 45 mins. I think that will be my official goal for this one: finish in 45 mins or less.

So, I'm becoming a runner, and use Whosya as inspiration! He's given me a few running and exercise tips, (he got me hooked on this) and now encouragement to make friends with y'all. I cant wait to get to know all of you, and make more band and exercise friends!

Best to all of you!

Carol (Slinky)

Edited by slinky
typo