Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

Thanks Georgia! So glad your ankle is better. I did not run today either. We closed on our land improvement loanand had a little drama. Dylan was at my inlaws and just before leaving to close my mil called to say he had dropped a pot of coffee on himself. Thankfully only his right foot is burned. It could be much worse, but his foot is burned pretty badly. We got medicine from the doctor and will keep it bandaged tfor awhile. Poor little guy. It really hurts. So, today has been kinda crazy.

Hi guys.

Renewed: Lifting weight is SOOOO GOOD for women!!! I wish more were not afraid of it. And you will not bulk up unless your injecting steriods! Cross training is very important.

Took the day off running today ( weights and swim day)

Flying back to -10F on Friday (Booo)

70F today in Cali.

Renewed...I'm so sorry Dylan got burned. Poor fellow...hope he feels better soon.

Whosya...I must admit, I'm one of those women who worry about lifting weights. I've always been on the muscular side (even when I wasn't overweight). My tennis coach in college asked me if I lifted weights and I told him no, I didn't. He pretty much said it was impossible for a girl to have as much muscle as me and not lift weights. I worked out a lot, but I didn't lift weights. I do have a hormone imbalance, so I always figured that was why I was muscular. I don't know, I always felt self-conscious about it. Anyway, that's why I don't do a lot of weight lifting. I do some every now and then, but not regularly.

I get to fly on Feb 1st, which is the first time since very early banding days (about 85 lbs ago), so I'm excited to see if I fit in the seat comfortably now???

Kathy~ You will be thrilled. I was so excited when I sat down on the plane and could put down the tray and even pull it back to me! It is great how such little things can make us feel so good.

I like to lift weights but it tightens up my muscles and I like to be flexible. So now I do Pilates instead.

I definately see the benefit of weight lifting, and I love the way it makes me feel. I am also not opposed to a little definition. I would much rather be a little bulky than pencil thin. I just always get stuck in the "what to do" part of weight lifting. More reps?? More weight?? I think too much. It is crazy around here with Dylan's foot and now packing to move, but once we get moved I am definately going to start lifting weights again!

Tip:

MYTH: Lifting heavy weights make women bulk up.

REALITY: Women don’t have enough of the muscle-building hormone testosterone to get bulky, even using heavy weights. The truth is, some people will gain muscle faster than they lose fat, so they may look bigger until they shed some of the flab and reveal the slim, toned muscles underneath. Shape sleek muscles with this workout from The Biggest Loser's Jillian Michaels.

Whosya... Great new picture! Thanks for the article.

Renewed... I hope Dylan feels better soon! Poor little guy.

Georgia... I'm with Renewed and Whosya... strength training is really, really good for you. I'm like you and have always had lots of muscle, just well hidden by the fat! But even at my highest my leg strength was excellent (not so good on the upper body, LOL). When I had a gym membership, my DH and I would strength train 3-4x per week. This went on for probably a year or so. I didn't bulk up at all. In fact, I got really well toned and slimmer. My goal is to be able to afford a gym membership so we can do that again. I know I can also do free weights at home, but I'm not as disciplined and focused that way (excuses excuses).

Ok, I had an absolutely crappy day today. Very upsetting. Then I picked up the kids and they kept bugging each other, so my DS hit my DD, so I had to inflict a harsh punishhment (no video games for a week - he was warned!), so that added to the drama. So I had every reason in the world to just say screw the running. Instead I decided to do it, and ran 3.4 m. It helped a lot!

Oh yeah, when I was out of town, I used the hotel fitness room. The first day I was in there the young girl who reports to me came in and ran beside me. She only lasted 15 min and gave up! I lasted 45. The second day my boss came in and ran beside me and lasted 10 min to my 21. Man it felt good... both are much younger and hotter than me, so I had a little chuckle!!!

Kathy....Darn it! I was hoping you took the day off, lol. Just kidding :thumbup:

I didn't run today. I decided to take ya'lls advice and do strength training. My legs felt like butter when I left the gym, lol. I'm predicting I'll be very sore. I plan to run tomorrow if I can lift my legs. :biggrin:

Kathy, you always have the best NSV's!

Hello from sunny St. Martin! DH and I have been here one week and have two more glorious weeks in paradise. I have been a good girl and have been watching food intake. There is a gym in our condo complex - haven't made it there yet, but it is in the plan for the next two weeks.

I have been drinking alcohol and was wondering if anyone know what would be the least in calories. Wine? Vodka, etc. I am not a drunk; but I do enjoy a drink by the pool each day. I would hate to be passing up all these great Desserts only to be gaining weight in alcohol. No scales here either.

Advise please.

Kathy- I wont hear about the job until I get home from vacation:(.

Lyn...I've always heard that red wine was the best for you. I don't have anything to back it up. That's just what I've always heard. Sounds like you are having a blast!