Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Heart Stopped Once Stomach Inflated w/ Gas

Ok, I was scheduled for surgery on June 26th. I arrived at the hospital, they prepped me, and rolled me back right on time for my 7:30 surgery.

The next thing I remember, I'm waking up with people all around me. They told me that they weren't able to finish my surgery because my heartbeat stopped for 30 seconds. Apparently, when they made the first incision and inflated my stomach with gas, they immediately lost my heartbeat. The doctor had to give me CPR so they immediately brought a portable x-ray machine to my bed in the recovery room. I'm assuming they wanted to make sure I had no broken ribs.

As soon as they finished taking x-rays, the cardiologist was waiting to check me out. They did some sort of ultrasound at my bedside and said that everything looked good with my heart. They starting running lab work after that to make sure I hadn't had some sort of heart attack.

They kept me overnight in ICU to monitor me and continued to take blood tests at 8 hour intervals to confirm their original findings that I had not suffered from a heart attack. Thankfully, all of the tests came back negative. The cardiologist believes that when my stomach was inflated with the gas, it put pressure on my vagal nerve causing me to have some sort of "vagal attack". This is supposedly what caused my heart to stop.

I felt pretty okay all day yesterday, other than some aching ribs. The area where my incision was didn't even hurt. But when I woke up this morning, I felt like I had been in a car accident. My chest, ribs, lungs, and neck hurt so, so bad from where they gave me CPR. But, I suppose that it sure beats the alternative! frown.gif

The cardiologist cleared me to have surgery but is suggesting to my surgeon that they take certain preventative measures to keep me from coding again. The surgeon is currently booked up until September. But, he says he's going to try to squeeze me in for then. So, as of now, my surgery date is unknown.

Has anyone else had this happen or heard of this happening? If so, did they end up having the surgery the second time around without incident?

Wow, I'm so sorry that happened to you! How scary! It sounds like you're recovering well and I'm very happy that you're still exploring WLS options. I've never heard of this happening before...but WOW it's sure something to keep in mind.

Did you have your heart tested pre-op (EKG, Stress Test etc)? I haven't been banded yet, but my risk factors (high weight, high BP) are a concern for me.

I'm just glad you're ok! I'll be thinking about you.

I have had a vagal attack but not as scary as yours. I was in class when I passed about and stayed out for about 5 minutes. I still had a heart beat but it was sky high and my blood pressure was off the charts. Luckily I was in a nurisng class. My reason for the attack was that I had a virus, so weird who knew a virus could do that?

I'm glad that you are still going to have the surgery. They will take extra good care of you, with this in your past.

Yes, the docs were very surprised too. They said they've never had this happen before. And, OF COURSE, I would have to be the first! :angry:

My goodness...how scary. I'm so sorry that you aren't feeling well...but so happy that you are still with us. The vagal nerve starts at the base of your brain and innervates your heart and lungs and passes through your diaphram. In some people it loops around and goes lower than it does in others. Usually it's out of the way but in some people when they do surgery on the stomach it presses against it. Most anesthesiologists will ask to see documentation of the vagal nerve prior to putting you under.

LOL...you might think that I know what I'm talking about but I just typed while my husband explained to me what happened to you. It's nifty having an Anatomist in the house. He's gross but handy.

Good luck to you...However, my husband said that now that the Anesthesiologist understands your anatomy that everything will be just fine.

Lunabeane...

Thank your husband for the info and thanks to you for relaying it to me. I feel a lot more confident that moving forward with the 2nd attempt should be safe. I know the doctors said it should be fine. But, hearing it from an unpartisan third party makes me feel a little better for some reason.

Anyway, I just hope they're able to get me in sometime soon so that I don't have to wait until September. :thumbup: Keep your fingers crossed for me!

wow... I am so glad that u are ok... and the best part about it is that your Dr did not risk your life.... did u have a pre-op diet? and did they say why the gasses might do that to u?

Yes, I feel very fortunate. The didn't say much other than the gas hit a nerve and shocked my heart. I do have a new surgery date scheduled now. It's July 24, 2008. I did have a pre-op diet and I get to start it all over on July 10, 2008. (yay) :wink_smile:

Thanks, Julie. I saw that you had plastic surgery. Did your insurance cover it? If so, How'd you get them to do that? :thumbup:

Also, Congrats on your weight loss success thus far!!!