Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are the Lap-band support Groups in NC areas?

I don't know...the schedule I picked up from Dr. V's office said that lap band support groups had been canceled due to lack of participation. It says we can go to the general meeting if we want though. I would really like to get a lap band group going again..even if its very informal type of meet up. The RNY patients and DS patients have so many different needs than lap band patients. I would think it would be kinda of discouraging to have us with them for us. They loose so much quicker.

Kim how you feeling? you were banded recently right? I'm so excited and its funny how I look at everything I eat now pre band. Hubby and I went out to dinner for our anniversary tonight (17th anniversary) and I kept thinking about how I wouldn't be able to eat such and such this way...but might could have this or that after surgery. Did you have your lapband done with Dr. V? If so how quickly after insurance approval did you get in?

The sheet i picked up says that the support group meetings are held every third Monday of the month ...and are open to any/all types of bariatric surgery patients. Pre op patients are also welcome to attend.

Melissa

You are correct the lap-band meeting has been cancelled through the Dr. V. They said though if they could get enough support they would start it back up. Maybe we should do that or start something ourselves first and see how that goes and then go to them to start it back up.

I was banded on monday th 13th, Dr. Voellinger was my doctor and I am doing great. I have read alot of threads on here and alot of Dr's put you on a liquid diet after the surgery. Dr. V (after you pass this one test) will let you have Clear liquids in the hospital. Then when you get home you have soft mushie food...I have had yoguart, cottage cheese, boiled eggs(smashed), Soups, SF Jello & pudding, grits. Now let me mind you it's not been alot of anything. I would say less then a 1/4 cup.

If there is anything else as a newly banded person I can answer please feel free to email.

Wow, This is so exciting! I am so happy to see so many Charlotte people on here. We really need to get this going girls. I have my surgery on Thursday and would love to do something in July if we could. Where is everyone from in Charlotte? I am down in SC in Lake Wylie. My husband works up on Arrowood. Are any of you near there? Where would be a good convienient place to meet? Lets get the ball rolling!

Angie

I live near the new 485 exit near the airport. I work out at the y near arrowood road. We have another in charlotte and Kim in Concord, I believe. I haven't had my surgery yet, still doing the pre tests, my consultation with the surgeon is on July 14th, so hoping to be done with tests by then. Can't wait to meet all of you.

Melissa

Cool, I know where that is. I havent been in the Y down by Arrowood but I have heard it is a really nice one. I go to the Clover Y near me. It is very small but is really nice because you get to meet a bunch of nice girls. We all went out the other night and had a blast. It will be so neat to meet you all. I am sure you will have all those test done by then and will have your surgery date soon. I know how it feels. It seemed like forever for those tests and getting them back to Dr. Bauman. It will go by fast. It did for me. I am getting nervous. I have three days until mine. I can't wait though. Talk to you soon.

Angie

Good luck on Thursday....I know what it's like. I am 2 weeks post op and had my follow up today with Dr. V and he said I am doing great...made me feel good after walking out of there. We should pick a day in July and meet for dinner or something. Or at a mall something...I live about 10 - 15 mins from Concord Mills. I was told I can start my Water classes again...lets hope I can keep up now that I have been in about a month.

26.6 pounds gone forever.....

Wow that is great Kim! You have lost that much in two weeks? I hope I do as good as you in the beginning. I am so nervous though. I know I will be fine it is just so nerve racking. Did you have to do liquids before surgery? Dr Bauman doesnt have us do liquids until after surgery. I can eat up until midnight the night before surgery. It's my husbands bday so I am happy for that. I can have my last piece of cake for a while. :)

Yes, I would love to hook up with you at Concord Mills. I am a ways away but I love it up there and wouldnt mind the ride. I will have two extra children with me in July so maybe an evening outing or we could do lunch but I would have five kids! :) Let me know.

Angie

Okay ladies! Concord Mills seems to be emerging here. As long as you don't mind the drive, Angie! :) I'm in a funny spot off Hwy 16 North of Charlotte, so Concord is not a problem...I'll probably go through Huntersville to get there but I can certainly do it!

July sounds good. Days are better and I have 2 children (ages 5 and 2) so a stroller ride is fine for a while, but I may get more mileage if we can duck into one of the kids play places...I can't remember the names, help! Cheap is also better! I don't mind throwing some money at some games, but I know they'd have fun playing on some kind of indoor playset, especially with other kids. I balk at the thought of keeping them happy yet contained at a mall!! A play area would be perfect for me.

On the other hand, if we did an evening (after 7pm) I could ditch the kiddos with hubby and have a little girls night out? I'm game, but I'm a bit more flexible during the days (ya'll are saying, "yeah, right!")

We are leaving for Myrtle at the very end of July. But the few weeks between now and then are fine. Wait! Guess we better get Angie banded this Thursday, huh? Good luck, girl! I'll be thinking about you!

You all let me know what you think about the Concord Mills thing...is a weekday long lunch possible?

I work durning the day but I would be willing to take a day off to meet fellow lap banders...if we keep it days, I will have to miss a few though. :-( That is alright becasue I will catch up at the next one. :-)

I am pretty open the month of July....the best time for me take off would be the week after the 4th, (we have someone leaving so we will be short staffed.) How about Friday the 8th? My son has a dr's appt @ 2:30 in S Charlotte I was going to take 1/2 day off anyway so I can make a whole day.

Thoughts?

Angie - yes Dr. V makes you do 2 weeks of liquids before the surgery. After you are home from the hospital you can have mushies/ pureed food...I am on my last week. YEAH!!!!!

Cool, I hope I am feeling ok on the 8th. I will have to keep you all updated on that one. But I dont mind going up that way. That's where I have to go for my Dr's appointments anyhoo. Let's try Concord Mills and see if it works and if not we can get more aquainted and decide on a better place.

Ok, I am off to have my last piece of pizza with a friend! lol :) So I will chat with you girls later. Have a good one. And hope to see you soon.

Thanks for the good thoughts Kathy.

Angie

Check in Melissa! We'll start with a lunchtime Concord Mills gathering, then plan from there...next gathering can be a no-kiddos one! Any info about the places to go in the mall that are kiddo-friendly? How's 11am? Are you sure a week recovery is enough Angie?! The 8th works fine for me...let's keep checking in! I'm excited!!

Hey Angie I am just over 2 weeks post op and I feel great...I know everyone is different so if the 8th don't work we can change it. I did forget you saying that you have a liquid diet afterwards so if want to do it when you are soft food that is just fine. The 8th was just a date I through out there since I knew I was already taking some time off. We can meet mid week if that is better...I will just ask for the day off. So keep us posted on how you are doing and I way lets take it from there..Melissa's consult with the doctor is July 14 so we could even wait until after if you want. The week of the 18th looks good for me also..

Kathy, there is place called Jeepers in Concord Mills (I think they only have pizza to eat) There is a nascar place that Curtis, my 2 yr old son like to go and hit the buttons on the games. Melissa do you know of something else in there?

Lets play it by ear for the 8th and see how I am doing. I go and see Dr. Bauman on the 6th and I will only have three children, not five. I get the two boys in mid July. So that would probably work out. But like I said I will play it by ear. Everyone is different. I did really well with my c sections so we shall see. I will keep you posted.

Two more days. We are having a cook out tomorrow night for my hubby's birthday and then off to la la land and up for my big day. I am so nervous and excited at the same time. Ok. I am off, I have a friend getting me on IM now. TTYL

Angie

Okay, I'm penciling in the 8th, but Angie, don't hesitate to postpone if you aren't up to it, promise? We'll help you with 5 kids, let's just get them to a place where they can roam safely and we can chat. If they have pizza, maybe they will have milkshakes? That's drinkable!! Melissa, let us know how that works for you and if you have other ideas about where we can plant some kids at Concord Mills.

Anyone else who runs across us...if you want to join us, please do!!! Just post here so we can check you out and make sure as best we can you aren't some psychopath. Which makes me wonder, should we move our specific plans offline? hmmm. Just a thought. Let's be safe, ladies. Can't wait!!

Actually that isnt a bad idea. Lets talk somewhere else. Or you all can PM me? Let me know. Lets take this offline you never know and you can never be to safe.

I will be fine. I believe I will. I will be able to drive right? Not away after surgery but that will be 8 days out I should be able to drive? Let me know what your doctor had you do Kathy.

Thanks,

Angie