Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are the Lap-band support Groups in NC areas?

Several folks, including myself, would like to identify where there are clusters of lap-banders in NC that either meet or want to meet. I partisipate with others in the Durham, NC area where we are just getting started. Do you know of lap-band support group meetings and who the contact people might be?

Thanks,

Judy

Guest cammie

Hey..... I'm from the Charlotte area and would love some people to meet with in my area...... anyone from around here? Cammie

Hey, I am from Lake Wylie SC but I am only 20 minutes from Charlotte. My Doctor Dr. Bauman is doing my Lap-Band surgery on the 30th of June. He is up in Concord and is doing the surgery at Northeast Medical Hospital. I know they have a support group there at that hospital. I will get more information when I can. I dont go see them again until the 21st of June. That is when I see Dr Bauman and The Hospital to pre-register.

Let's see about keeping in touch. I really need as many supporters as I can get! I think it will be great to get up and be able to talk about our experiences. And Greensboro isnt to far from Concord, what maybe an hour?

Hey Cammie, I'm in the Charlotte area, too! We should plan a little get-together as soon as we see who else shows up. It's really hard for me to drive to Durham in the evenings with 2 youngsters, or I'd join in the Greensboro IHOP gatherings. I'd love to meet everybody!

Hey Cammie, I just realized that I PM'd you about you needing help with LBT, you keep getting lost! I'm glad you found your way back. Don't go far! I can't believe you are in Charlotte! Angie, our numbers are growing! Guess what, I had an Eliza sighting...she came off the Summerville thread, can you believe it? yep, she actually posted somewhere else, I was very proud! hehe :)

That is Great! I am glad to see she is venturing out and testing the waters. We should really look into getting together after my surgery sometime in July? I would love to get to know you girls from Charlotte and go through this together.

Angie

I'm currently in the "get endless tests done" pre surgery phase. I am in Charlotte also. I noticed that Dr Voillingers lap band support group has disolved from lack of participation. Really want to get one going or join up an existing one in the area. So if anyone gets any information :D...keep me posted as well .

Melissa A, Charlotte NC

age 34, 2 girls ages 5 and 13

254lbs, 40.4 bmi

Dr Voillinger

Hey Melissa! Is Dr Vollinger at Presbyterian? WOW! It's growing here! We need to have a Charlotte Bash! Keep on signing up, ya'll! So glad to have you Melissa. Folks are really nice here. I wouldn't be making it through if not for LBT. My kiddos are 5 and 2, so getting out for meetings is tons of trouble...the 'puter is perfect for me! We'll start a Charlotte bash thread her soon, I'll bet. Judy! Looks like we are forming a group!! Wahoo!!

Yes Dr. V is at presby. My appointment isn't till July 14th. Just finished up blood work today and did my chest xrays, so only have the psych and the endo left I think. Hope to have all the result at the office before my appointment so they can do their insurance thing and get me scheduled. Really would like to have it before the end of summer.

Melissa

Hey Barbara! Your e-mail isn't enabled so I hope you will log on and get this...

Who's your TJ doc? The best advice I got on this site is to line up my local after-care BEFORE going to MX for surgery. So I did and I have my first fill scheduled with Dr Gonzales at the Surgical Weight Loss Center in Winston-Salem. He gives fills for people banded in MX and it was no problem to schedule, 'cept I'm having to wait until JULY 6th!!! Conferences, vacation, etc. Anyhow, the number there is 336-784-8299 and the address is 1000 south Park Blvd W-S, NC 27127. Non-flouro fills are $200 (I am getting non-flouro) and Flouro fills, if needed or wanted, are $300 for the doc plus $250-300 for the hospital flouro equipment use charges. I have checked lots of prices over the months and those are reasonable, so be sure to budget for up to 5 fills the first year, just in case. I did, but I will be over 12 weeks before my first fill. Some folks get their first fill at 6 weeks. I'm under-budget! woohoo!

I would LOVE to travel back to Dr. Kuri for a $70 flouro fill but with airfare and time away from my family, well, I'm planning to hit the highway for a 1/2 day. Should I need flouro, maybe I'll take the flight.

One other thing, should you have a problem and need to be seen by Dr G, I'm not sure about his office visit costs, several hundred buck, I'm sure. My MX doc was available by phone and e-mail in the few weeks after surgery. He still is now but I just don't need to call him! whew! Anyhow, it's good to know you can be seen locally. All you need is some cash.

Good luck! Keep us posted! And let me know if you have any other questions or concerns...I'm an open book, just ask!

Hello, I am from Charlotte as well. I was banded Monday (6/13/05) and would love to have friends to talk to. Dr Voellinger did my surgery at Presbyterian and it went great. Hope to hear from you soon. I am so ready to begin this new life for me.

Welcome Kim! I have noticed your posts on other threads, who knew you were from Charlotte!! wahoo!

You should go to the Introduction Forum and post an intro, tell folks a bit about yourself and your doc and weight loss goals. Let everyone say hello.

I read your other posts and it sounds like you are doing great! I'll bet Melissa above can't WAIT to talk to you!!!

Anyhow, welcome, make yourself at home here on LBT, be sure to read alot and get ALL your questions answered. There is no reason to feel alone with LBT here.

Looks like we need to be scheduling a little informal meet-n-greet?

I'll start a new thread in a few days and we can leave this one for Judy's NC Support groups, which is what she wanted to find out about in the first place and ended up creating a Charlotte Support group!! :)

I'm in Durham as well and need support. If anyone is intrested in starting some type of support in the durham-raleigh area please contact me.

i just caught this on my e-mail lap-band support group Monday on June 20th at 6:30 p.m. in the multipurpose room at Presbyterian Hospital charlotte, nc

Cool, I wonder if you have to be a Presby patient? Kim or Melissa, do you know?

We have Judy, SPJones, and Barbara in Durham...wow! Look Judy, two more for your IHOP gatherings!!!