Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone had a Hiatial Hernia pre surgery??

I have been "housing" a hiatial hernia since my middle 20's. Now that I am researching this procedure I have found that this type of hernia may cause problems. I am looking for anyone that has one, or one that was discovered during surgery. I have been on Nexium (for reflux and heartburn) for as long as I can remember...how will I know the difference between reflux and PB. Thanks for any help you can offer! Kimberly

Yes, my surgeon repaired it while he was in there...I think most surgeons will do that. It is best to have it repaired not only because of the reflux but because if it is not repaired your abdominal organs can start migrating up into the chest area which would be bad especially with the lap band.

BTW: Reflux and PB are very different. Reflux has the nasty stomach acid whereas PB is just your food coming back up in the same form as when it was swallowed.

My hiatal hernia was discovered during surgery as well. The good thing was that, though my lap band surgery was not covered by insurance at all, the hernia was. My surgeon filed for the hernia and then refunded back the amount insurance paid to me. It ended up covering about 2/3 of my total surgery cost! So I say "Yay, hernia!" Repairing it during lap band surgery shouldn't be a problem.

I knew I had a hernia prior to surgery. I too have been on Nexium for a number of years due to reflux. The hernia was repaired during surgery. PB differs from reflux in that you actually have food rather than acid coming back. Hopefully, you will experience neither. Take care!

Tammygirl

Was your recovery longer because of the hernia repair? I thank God I found this web site early...everyone has been such an fantastic help!! Kimberly

Did your Insurance not approve you because of your low BMI?? I have several comorbidities, but my BMI is fairly low (according to Cigna) and I am concerned with coverage. Kimberly

My insurance just didn't cover WLS at all. And as for the recovery with hernia repair, I don't think it was any longer. I had the surgery on a Friday, and went back to work the following Tuesday. Of course, I have an office job, so nothing strenuous. It was no big deal, really.

Hi KF!

I returned to my desk job within a week after surgery. So I would say the hernia repair did not prolong my recovery period.

Tammygirl

My Dr suspects that I have one, too. When he goes in there on July 7th for my band, he will fix that. Make sure that there is proof of diagnosed hernia for insurance purposes because my surgical coordinator confused my insurance company by trying to get the hernia repair preapproved without evidence and it was a pain in the butt! They had to resubmit everything with just Lapband and it backed my approval up almost a month. Finally everything is worked out. Can't wait!

My surgeon didn't charge for the hernia repair. He said he would literally be right there placing the band so he just repaired it

As for longer recover, my recovery was no longer but it was more difficult. Most people don't have problems with the surgery but some do and I was one of them. I had a hard time breathing for several days. I was told that is was due to the hernia repair, which involves the diaphragm (the muscle we use to breath). It was just very difficult to pull air in. If I would talk for more than a few minutes or walk across the room I would get breathless. I was and still am unable to belch. Right after the surgery I would get the sensation in my stomach that I needed to belch followed by a severe pain that moved from my stomach, up my esophagus to my throat...but no burp. I am still not able to belch but I do not get the pain. I had my surgery on Friday took Monday-Wednesday off then worked half days on Thursday and Friday. So I didn't take any more time off than was expected but I think I could have gone back to work Tuesday or Wednesday had I not had issues with the hernia. But like I said these problems are rare...I'm often the unlucky one :thumbs_up:

Jodi you are such a huge help!! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am a teacher in the fall and winter, but in the summer I wait on tables. I am sure I will not be able to go back as fast as you did....I am shoting for surgery in October, after the restaurant slows down. I am sure I can go back to school after a week...but carrying trays will be out of the question. I still don't know if my insurance will require a 6 month diet...my GP sent them a wonderful letter stating that I have done several diets with him so possibly they will not require ANOTHER ONE. Was your BMI was low...did you have a difficult time getting approved? I am trying to stay @ 35-36, but it is just hardwired in me to diet and loose weight...I have been as high as 40, but do not want to go back there for anything. I have Cigna so now it is just hurry up and wait. Thanks again Kimberly

Happy to help! I was not prepared for the hernia repair problems, I was told that the typical shoulder pain that we get from the lap band surgery would last a few days longer due to the added hernia repair but that is all. I was upset that nobody warned me that although rare, other recovery issues can arise. Just didn't want you to think that it is easy 100% of the time.

I work a desk job; waitressing would probably have been difficult for me for at least three weeks.

My BMI was 41. I have United Healthcare, their guidelines are BMI of 35-40 with co-morbities or a BMI above 40 without co-morbities (which is fairly common with many insurance companies).

Happy to say, I had no problems getting approved and didn't have to provide weight history or do the supervised diet thing. Best of luck for a fast and smooth approval process!!!

I was told I had a hiatial hernia about 10 years ago when I was bed ridden for a couple of months, but I have not had any acid reflux for years. I will definitely ask my surgeon about this. :lol:

So many of these post are helping me gather questions that I can ask my surgeon before I reschedule my Lap Band surgery. Thanks.

Anne from Pasadena, Ca

Jodi, I have read about several people that did not even know they had a hernia, but mine keeps reminding me of its presence with disabling reflux and heartburn. Cigna stopped covering Nexium so I have had to go to another med and it does not work as well. I can't imagine life without it, but would like to try...lol. I am waiting until I start teaching in the fall (around the beginning of October) for my surgery. I hate to give up the money from the restaurant...lol. If Cigna requires me to go on another diet for 6 months that puts me in after the holidays. Either way I will not be waiting on tables. My BMI is low (I can't believe I am calling a BMI of 36 low, but according to the insurance company it is..lol) and I have several co-morbidities, but until I get the OK I am not going to get my hopes up. We could never afford such a surgery.

Yeah, I didn't know I had a hernia until I had the pre-op tests for lap band surgery, they found it during the barium swallow. Prior to that I had occasional heartburn for a year or so but nothing alarming. The radiologist called it a slight hernia and my surgeon wasn't convinced that there was even a hernia there until the actual surgery. I didn't know for sure that I had hernia surgery until a day after when I noticed the breathing problem, I got scared and called the on call surgeon who explained that my breathing problems and burping pain were due to the hernia surgery.

Cigna should have set guidelines for weight loss surgery as long as you are within those guidelines, whether on lower end of the scale or not, they should cover it. I just made it with a 41 and no co-morbities. l would call them and find out what their requirements are. Like I said, it is typically BMI of 35-40 with co-morbities or above 40 without. Give them the code for surgery (CPT 43770), ask them what their requirements are and you could even ask them to send you a copy of their policy for surgical treatment of morbid obesity. That way, if they deny you unfairly you will be armed with the facts to fight it.