Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie from Wisconsin!

Hello everyone,

I have been researching the Lap Band for some time now, and decided to go to a informational session back in May 2008. After going back and forth with my inner self, I decided to make a decision. I will have my first consultation July 1st, and was wondering if anyone could tell me what to expect. The nurse told me this consultation will take up to 2 hours. I have read a lot of threads, but have not found any pertaining to the first consultation. I am just a little curious, any thoughts/advice will be greatly appreciated. I am kind of feeling alienated because there are a few people around me that are not that supportive.

I had Lap band in Green Bay WI. I would highly recommend my doctor. I went to the 2hr consult last year. Basically they will run through a slide show presentation and show you exactly what happens with the band and possibly with gastric bypass too. You wont have to say anything. Then he will weigh and measure you and get a feel for how you want to achieve this. They are going to throw ALOT of rules and info at you...dont let it scare you...relax ask all the questions you want.

Thanks for the info. Wow, you have done great with you wls. You are truly an inspiration. While researching the good and the bad, I was not nervous at all. But the closer July 1st gets here, the more nervous I get.

Reading the threads on this website has given me quite an insight on the Lap Band, and I know this will not be an easy fix. I'm just tired of the yo-yo dieting, and this seems like the tool that is going to help me get to my future goal and sustain it.

Just a little bit about me. My highest weight was 286, my current is 260, and my ultimate goal is between 150 and 160. My lowest weight was 245, which I achieved doing Weight Watchers, that 41 lb wls took me TWO years, and I am now on my way back up to my highest weight. Throughout my wls journey, I have become accustomed to working out, but the scale was not moving, so, I can not wait to be banded to get back to working out, and finally see the scale go in the right direction.

Oh, if all goes well, the procedure will be done a Columbia St. Mary's Hospital. Again, thanks for the information, I'll try to calm down a little.

I just wanted to say HI! I'm from southeastern WI. Good luck with everything!:Angel_anim:

yeah try and let all the negative stuff you read roll off you. I was banded last August 07 and i am down 170lbs so far. It takes work but is def achieveable.

Here is my question to you.....does the band really make you feel more satisfied? Correct me if I am wrong but I have read that after getting the band you will eat approx 1000-1200 calories/day. That is pretty much like a WW diet is so I am just REALLY hoping a band makes me feel full....otherwise is surgery really worth it?

Smartiegirl, it seems like you are just starting out as well, it would be nice to go through this together if you'd like. I went to the Wisconsin thread, and no one has updated for some time now. Good luck with everything as well. Let me know, I could give you my e-mail address as well.:thumbs_up:

Here is my question to you.....does the band really make you feel more satisfied? Correct me if I am wrong but I have read that after getting the band you will eat approx 1000-1200 calories/day. That is pretty much like a WW diet is so I am just REALLY hoping a band makes me feel full....otherwise is surgery really worth it?

I think i had the same fear as you. I just had myself convienced it wouldnt work and i would never feel full.

Believe ME! i feel full!!!! I just to be able to eat a 12" sub from Subway as an example with NOO problem whatsoever. I would still be hungry. Now i can eat only half a 6 " sub!!! It takes a few months to get the right adjustment but it makes a HUGE diff.

Now here is where ppl fail

1. They get there band so tight that they cant eat solid food and the revert to soft food like candy, milkshake, ice cream...This is definately a risk. I personally have a hard time with Candy and Cappinno on my diet. But i CAN NOT eat more than a slice of pizza. Yes one slice! I used to eat a whole large Pizza.

2. YOu just eat soft foods like candy alot. You will NEVER get full on candy. I dont know why. IMy doc say to eat every 3 hrs or so but make sure its solid food.

I am NOT perfect. I do make mistakes. I exersise hard though to off set.

It is VERY weird though when you get about 6 months in. YOu look at someones big plate in a resturant and you think i could NEVER eat all that.

Your always looking straight to small kids meals or small meals. FOr example. I was in Red Robin and for dinner the most i could eat was a CUP of Chilli. That ended up being 2.95 for my dinner LOL. And when your still big you get a WEIRD look from the waiteress sometimes.

Hi all,

I went to the first consultation yesterday, and everything went great. Met with the surgeon (didn't think I was going to meet him, however will see him with every visit), nutritionist, and answered alot of questions thrown at me by the nurse. The consultation lasted about an hour and fifteen minutes. I didn't get nervous until I arrived in the parking structure, and of course as soon as I got there they took my blood pressure. The nurse looked at me as if I ate a salt sandwich for lunch, but I had to explain to her that I was nervous. Anyway, my psych eval is 7/29, and my 2nd appt. is 8/11, and I also found out that I will have to do the Optifast for two weeks prior to the surgery. So, does this mean, if everything goes smoothly that I will have a banding date some time in September?