Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know I'm being dumb....

Ok, I'm waiting on Aetna to approve my Lap Band, I've met their guidelines and I feel pretty confident I won't have many issues (we hope). Anyway, I went to see my surgeon yesterday and I asked him what pre-op tests he does. He told me the only major one they do (besides blood work and chest xray) is the upper GI (can't wait - har har).

Well, I also had an appointment later that afternoon with my PCP so I told her I wanted my heart checked (I know...I'm over-reacting). To make me feel better she's doing an EKG and a ECG next week, lol. I'm really not all "that" worried about my heart but, I do have high BP and I just want to make sure my ticker is doing okay before I have surgery. So, she also orders a chest xray, I told her my surgeon was planning on doing one, and she said "Thats fine, I want to also" I guess because I've never had one.

Ok, so now I'm scared....I smoke...omg I'm having visions of lung issues...I can't stop worrying about it. OMG...make it stop......

I know I'm acting like a child.....but I'm really kind of in a panic, because cancer runs in my family. (I know, my fault for smoking to begin with)

Bleh...well I'm having it done tomorrow to just get it over with.

I'm done being a big baby (for now).

7_5_142.gifYou might want to talk to your Dr. about your smoking. A lot of Dr.s won't do the surgery unless you quit smoking. I haven't had a cig since september. I had to use chantrix. worked great. But check to make sure. good luck

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb095&pp=ZRxdm609NVUS

7_5_142.gifYou might want to talk to your Dr. about your smoking. A lot of Dr.s won't do the surgery unless you quit smoking. I haven't had a cig since september. I had to use chantrix. worked great. But check to make sure. good luck sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb095&pp=ZRxdm609NVUS

Thanks for the response Gone :embaressed_smile:

Yes, he knows I smoke. He requires I quit for 2 wks prior to surgery (should be a lot of fun). I'm trying to quit now on my own, as Chantrix gives me HORRIBLE nightmares.

I've cut down a lot but I still haven't stopped completely.

Ok, I'm waiting on Aetna to approve my Lap Band, I've met their guidelines and I feel pretty confident I won't have many issues (we hope). Anyway, I went to see my surgeon yesterday and I asked him what pre-op tests he does. He told me the only major one they do (besides blood work and chest xray) is the upper GI (can't wait - har har).

Well, I also had an appointment later that afternoon with my PCP so I told her I wanted my heart checked (I know...I'm over-reacting). To make me feel better she's doing an EKG and a ECG next week, lol. I'm really not all "that" worried about my heart but, I do have high BP and I just want to make sure my ticker is doing okay before I have surgery. So, she also orders a chest xray, I told her my surgeon was planning on doing one, and she said "Thats fine, I want to also" I guess because I've never had one.

Ok, so now I'm scared....I smoke...omg I'm having visions of lung issues...I can't stop worrying about it. OMG...make it stop......

I know I'm acting like a child.....but I'm really kind of in a panic, because cancer runs in my family. (I know, my fault for smoking to begin with)

Bleh...well I'm having it done tomorrow to just get it over with.

I'm done being a big baby (for now).

Lung cancer shows up on a chest xray not an EKG. I know for a fact my father passed away from Lung Cancer (caused from dust and chemicals inhis work)

Dont panic

I'm in no way trying to be mean so please don't take it like that. I used to smoke and still miss my 20 best friends each day. I quit when I got pregnant with my son. I was terrified that my chest xray was going to reveal cancer. If I had been a smoker still it would have forced me to quit.

The only part of your post that is dumb is that you are still smoking. Do yourself a favor and do anything you can to quit now

I'm in no way trying to be mean so please don't take it like that. I used to smoke and still miss my 20 best friends each day. I quit when I got pregnant with my son. I was terrified that my chest xray was going to reveal cancer. If I had been a smoker still it would have forced me to quit.

The only part of your post that is dumb is that you are still smoking. Do yourself a favor and do anything you can to quit now

You're right...tomorrow is my 35th Birthday...might as well give myself a gift and stop now. I hope I can do it.

(I didn't take your post as mean, just honest, thanks, I needed a little kick in the ass)

Quitting is not easy, but you can do if you put your mind and heart into it. You will be so much better off with those cigs. I know, I quit 10 years ago cold turkey and I have never looked back. Each time you want to smoke, take a deep breath, and think of someone close to you, someone who is very very special that you would never want to lose and inhale them. Sounds silly, but it works.

Best of luck.

Been smoking since the age of 11. I am 40 now and my insurance won't pay for chantix yet. Not till I try other methods. They recomended classes to help with quiting. And my dr. did get approval for the patch to help. But I gotta go through the patch & classes, if that dont work there is another drug I have to try before they will approve chantix.

You should see if there are classes at your local hospital or clinic to help with breaking the habits we all have along with the ciggarettes.

I tried the patch 15 years ago and it didn't help at all then but I also wasn't really willing to try and stop then either. Now I am so that should make a HUGE difference. And I am the only smoker in the house now. My now EX smoked and all our friends smoked so it was a huge hopeless struggle then.

My BF stoped a few ago after he got sarcodosis in his lungs so I will no longer be tempted at home. And he will be my support when I get weak lol. I just hope he can live through the withdraws!!LOL I am a HUGE BABY when I get cravings. He's already expecting a few weeks of hell for this.

I haven't had a chest xray in years either something to possibly ask my doc for next appointment.

I Know what you mean about the fears! I have them also! But stopping is the best thing to do. For your health.

On a similar note I had my first mamogram this week too. And suposed to get the results in the mail and I have been waiting anciously and they are now 2 days late! And to top it off my net/phone was out all day yesterday and today till 8pm. Voicemail wasn't even working so now I gotta wait till monday to talk with my doc.

Guess I will have to back to nailbiting lol !!

You and I are in the same boat, I'm scheduled for a mammogram next week as well (will be my first too) and I'm scared shitless.

I'm also a huge baby when it comes to cravings and I'm fairly weak when it comes to resisting temptation. However, as I've aged it's gotten a "little" better. :(

I really want to quit smoking for my health and for this surgery!!! I want to heal well and not have issues because of my habit. ALL the women on my mother's side smoked...my grandmother lived to be 97 and didn't quit smoking until the nursing home threatened to kick her out if she lit up in her room again, lol.

She died in her sleep of old age...my mom is 65 and smokes also, but not heavily (like it matters how much...I know) maybe 5 cigs a day. She just had a chest x-ray when she was in the hospital for colon issues and checked out fine.

I know in my heart that none of these are excuses for me to continue smoking...I mean especially at MY weight it has to be putting strain on my heart. Plus, I'm tired of buying them and dealing with them, as much as I'm tired of dealing with food ruling my life.

I think it's time I let go of the things controlling me, and start controlling myself. :)