Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Calgary! :) Dr.McKenna?

Hi Everyone! :thumbup:... I'm new to this AWESOME site and have a few questions....

My GP referred me to Dr. Catherine McKenna in Calgary and today I booked my first appointment with her for September '08... The guy on the phone who scheduled me also told me that there was a $150 dollar one time fee? that Alberta Health doesn't cover?... I was wondering if anyone has been to her before?

I'm wanting to get the Lap-Band Surgery and I'm wondering how many steps there are in Alberta before you can get a referral to see a surgeon? do you have to see a nutritionist first (like Dr.McKenna?)...

I have also heard some doctors make you see a Psychologist too?? I'm Fat!! Not Wack!! lol

I'm also wondering if anyone has been referred to a Surgeon with good health? I mean I'm almost 400lbs and my sugars are excellent and so is my cholesterol but I am in need of it... The only thing wrong at this point in regard to my health is signs of PCOS (I'm 24)... I hope I can still get it done in Canada instead having to pay for it in Mexico...

Thanks for listening!! :)

Edited by CanadianChicka

Hi....and welcome to the site !!! :biggrin2:

Hopefully someone involved in the process in Alberta will reply to you and give you some answers. I've heard rumour that Alberta is actually pulling their gov't coverage of this procedure....true or not, I dunno. I've also heard that because the gov't are only covering a few surgeries (100+) a year the wait list is terrible. The surgeon will be able to give you more info on these issues I'm sure....altho maybe contacting the provincial medical system and asking will help as well.

As for the nutritionist and psych evaluation, both of these are very common, especially if insurance or gov't coverage is involved....and don't be overly surprised if you also need to be on a long-term supervised 'diet' as well.

Keep reading posts and asking questions !!!! And please post again if you find out any info about coverage !!!

All the best,

Patricia

11/16/06

306/202/175ish

Never heard of this dr. As far as I know, she is not associated with the CHR's Weight Management Clinic, which is the only place to get banded or referred for banding through provincial health care in Calgary. There are rumors that one of the Toronto clinics is planning to open a site in Calgary, but it will be all fee for service (rumor is $18- $20 k for the surgery). I don't know if she is associated with this clinic.

The WMC in Calgary has been reduced to 25 surgeries in the next year, and I heard they had hundreds of people waiting and have discharged most of the people from the program. Before this lastest announcement of reduced surgeries, it was looking to be a number of years to wait before being considered for provincially covered lap band surgery. Now - who knows.

I was banded thru the WMC and AB Health Care (one of the lucky 75 or so who have had it done in Calgary) and have had a wonderful experience, but don't know anything about Dr. McKenna. I had heard that another clinic had opened in Calgary that was supposed to be a one stop shop for obesity related issues, but that only the medical portion would be covered by AB health care - other services like dietician, psychologist, etc would be fee for service. This clinic was not associated with the lap band in any way. Maybe she is with this clinic?

When I got referred to the WMC, it took six months to get a call back and appointment, and this was before any reduction in service and the WMC does not charge anything for any of their services.

I was also referred to Dr McKenna for weight management but decided that I wanted the Lapband and from what I’ve been told she is not involved in surgeries in Calgary…I believe she is strictly a nutritionist…so I packed my bags and headed to Mexico, I am 1 month post op and happy with my choic. I knew that there was no way I would be accepted in the WMP because I have no major health issues.

Good Luck!!!

Hi there,,,I did see Dr. McKenna about 2 years ago for about 6 months. The extra $150. is for a metabolic rate test. There is a tube that you keep for future metabolic tests.

I found going to her good,,,I would have some great talks with her. My only problem is it was literally across the city from me and I couldn't get there after work in time for my appointments.

There is no reason why you couldn't be going to her and waiting for the lap band.

I have been to Dr. McKenna. She is a doctor, not just a nutritionist, and she has chosen to specialize in bariatric medicine. I am having lap band surgery on August 11th in Toronto, but I will continue to see Dr. McKenna when I return to Calgary from Ontario. I had lost weight with Dr. McKenna on a supervised high Protein diet. However, after injuring my knee I was unable to exercise, and we decided that the lap band would be the best option for me. Dr. McKenna is great as she has been overweight herself and understands the emotional issues.