Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Type 1 Diabetes and Lapband

I am sure there are people around here who do. I know that my surgeon had patience with type one and two whose blood sugar got under control and they healed well. My mom is diabetic, so naturally she asked about all the issues with diabetes and getting banded.

Does anyone have experience with Type 1 Diabetes and weight loss surgery? :confused2:

Hi there--no experience yet--I will be banded on Aug 26th and am a type 1. I am a little scared, but we shall see...

Migmom, Wonderful, Please let me know how it goes and who your Doctor is. I need to find one who will do it. I have only gained more and more weight since I got on the pump 7 years ago. Now, it is almost impossible to control my sugar at this weight. Most people think I am a type 2 diabetic. I have had it for 30 years. I have always been chunky, a size 10-12, but now am huge at 210 lbs. I don't have any energy. Please stay in touch!!!

Hi, I'm new to the site but I was wondering if anyone with Type 1 Diabetes had Lap Band done recently...my BMI is around 37...so do I qualify for the Lap Band having Type 1 and my BMI being 37? If anyone has been thru this or might know I would appreciate any advice you may have!! Thanks!!!!

I think it depends on your Insurance Co. I have Kaiser and it was over 40 BMI with out co-morbidity's or over 35 BMI and 3 co-morbidity's (????). Well, you have diabetes that is one, if you do not have any others such as high BP, high cholesterol, heart disease, depression, joint pain, etc... You may not qualify. But, remember depression and joint pain are subjective so if you say you have them you do...

If you are self pay I am not sure what the requirements are, but I know they are not as strict.

I hope this helps!:crying:

HI- I have surgery scheduled for Oct 2nd and I am on insulin. How have your blood sugars been since the surgery?? Would really love to hear how it has gone for you!

Bev

Hi all- My surgery was finally done on Dec 4th- and received my first fill today. However, after a week of great blood sugars, I am struggling again even after losing 15 pounds. Back on insulin....Novolog. I hate it and I am really compliant with the eating plan. Has anyone had good luck with lapband and diabetes???

It's going to take a while. The initial weight loss is always high, but then it slows down significantly. If you can step up your exercise then it will speed things up a bit...

Good luck.....

Hi everyone! Well I think I'm almost ready to have my surgery...they say within 3-4 weeks I should be having it done! I'm really excited! Please let me know how you are all doing it or the ones that have had it...I've been a diabetic for 23 years now and I've been on a insulin pump for around 5 years...I really, really hope this is going to help me with my weight and to be healthier...anyone's insight would be GREAT!!! Hope everyone is doing well!!! Can't wait to hear back from you guys!

I feel that it is the best decision that I have ever made. Don't get discouraged if your weight loss is slow...as long as it is PERMANENT!! The diabetes has been one of the reasons that my loss is slow, but along the way I have changed a LOT of my bad habits. It is a work in progress, but now that I know I am going to live longer, I am ok with that!!!

Good luck!!!

P.S. the surgery was the easiest of any procedure that I have ever had!!!

Hi, I'm new to the site but I was wondering if anyone with Type 1 Diabetes had Lap Band done recently...my BMI is around 37...so do I qualify for the Lap Band having Type 1 and my BMI being 37? If anyone has been thru this or might know I would appreciate any advice you may have!! Thanks!!!!

I am type 2 on 3 oral meds and now only taking 2 after lap band on 7-20-09. You will just need to monitor BS levels closely, remember you will be on low carb diet , liquids 1st couple wks progressing to soft foods. My blood sugar fasting 90-120 now and 2 hrs post 110- 130. Make sure your doctor discusses which meds/ insulin to cut back on. Good luck:smile2: