Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Six (a rant)

Yesterday, for various reasons, I ended up at home in time to watch the noon news.

I noticed an interesting thing. In the 45 minutes that I watched of an hour-long newscast, I saw six advertisements for weight loss surgery.

Six. One advertisement every 8 minutes or less. They weren't all from the same doctor either, so this wasn't a side effect of a bulk-buy deal.

I suppose part of that has to do with the target audience of that time slot (stay at home moms), but the blitz really bothered me. All the ads had the same underlying message: "Tired of fighting? Talk to us, and we'll make a miracle happen."

Yes, but....

I know docs and insurance companies require seminars and 'full disclosure', but those of us who are on the other side -know- that we didn't truly get all the information. The physical effects and the possibility of complications were mentioned, but nobody warned about the mental and emotional rollercoaster one was boarding.

Write a check, go to sleep, wake up thin and everything is fine. That's the promise on TV, and on the radio, and on billboards, and in print and seemingly everywhere these days. I worry that many will wake up in a nightmare instead of their dream.

...not to mention that the commercials following that are usually food commercials - something cheesy, creamy or sugary.

But, yeah, I see your point about that. It's no wonder so many people end up on here asking if they can eat xyz a week after being banded.

And no wonder so many get discouraged when they don't lose.

After all, the commercial said it's a miracle cure for obesity.

That's true. And there are so many little symptoms that we have, that aren't disclosed because the doctors don't even know about them. I have had symptoms, went to my doctor, spent a whole lot of money, only to be blown off and told it was nothing after the diagnostic tests show everything was fine. Well, what the hell were they then? Why would I take time off of work and spend all of that money, if I was making it up?

I really think you have to be a banded doctor to really get it. They do make it look like a cure. They also don't advertise that it will take several fills before you get the right restriction. They should atleast do that.

Tighter controls as to who could actually perform the surgery would help a great deal with standardization of care. Of course, that would cut down on the money being made by everybody......so much for that idea.

like here lapband is new since march and theyu have billboards everywhere with my doc on it saying "the WEIGHT is over" lol

I agree with you. Its not quite like that here - yet - but the band has been done for way longer.

I've seen TV ads though, very rarely but in that 10 am timeslot and yes, its all promises of miracles. I've also seen newspaper and magazine ads. Never do they mention anything negative!

Jacqui you're ticker died :embaressed_smile:

Of course they don't mention something negative, it's ADVERTISING. :Angel_anim:

It's the thing that pulls you in. My doc at our seminar went over all the bad things. Of course, like it's been said, some people don't experience all symptoms and you don't truly KNOW until you're banded. (Like suddenly having bathroom urgency issues, what's up with that?)

In Texas it's big business and there's LOTS of ads for it. We are one of the fattest states. :smile2:

But not as fat as Mississippi or Alabama... at least according to the seminar I went to last night. :Angel_anim:

According to what I have read and seen on news and such that West Virginia has a morbid obesity epedemic haha Guess I moved to the right state eh LOL