Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still don't know if I'm full or what

I'm sure there's a post somewhere out there, but searching this forum can be difficult.

My question is is that I still can't tell if I'm full. It's strange to not keep eating until I feel like I'm going to blow up. I also don't want to overeat since I'm in bandster hell right now.

My first fill is 7/7 and I want to make sure that I keep going in the right direction with my behaviour and weight loss. I'm keeping my calories under 1500, but need to work on knowing when to put the fork down in preparation for my fill. I'm working on eating slowly and chewing it to mush. I've gotten to the point where my meals take anywhere from 1/2 hour to an hour.

So maybe I'm doing the right thing and what I'm feeling in my tummy IS being "normally" full. Just thought I'd ask for other experiences. Thanks - Bren

well if your 1st fill is on 7/7 that means u don't have any restriction so u gonna keep eating like a horse. so don't panic, once you get filled you'll feel a difference.

I'm sure there's a post somewhere out there, but searching this forum can be difficult.

My question is is that I still can't tell if I'm full. It's strange to not keep eating until I feel like I'm going to blow up. I also don't want to overeat since I'm in bandster hell right now.

My first fill is 7/7 and I want to make sure that I keep going in the right direction with my behaviour and weight loss. I'm keeping my calories under 1500, but need to work on knowing when to put the fork down in preparation for my fill. I'm working on eating slowly and chewing it to mush. I've gotten to the point where my meals take anywhere from 1/2 hour to an hour.

So maybe I'm doing the right thing and what I'm feeling in my tummy IS being "normally" full. Just thought I'd ask for other experiences. Thanks - Bren

Excellant question, shy! Most of us bandsters kinda have a malfunction in that part of our brains that tells us when we are "full". Most of us pre-band confused "full" with stuffed".

Now that you are banded, it's important to practice eating until you are "not hungry". Notice I didn't say "full". You are in a good situation to "re-train" your brain into knowing the difference between not hungry and stuffed.

BTW, some people have restriction without any fills. It's kinda different for everybody. Good Luck!

When I went to the doctor today he said that most people do not feel restriction until they are at 5.5cm or more.

Good Luck!!!

If you have that bloated too full feeling after you eat then of course you ate too much. Are you measuring what you eat? I experimented with different measurements from 1/4 to 1 cup. I need to know beforehand how much it takes to satisfy me...otherwise I don't know I am full until it is too late.

At this point, 1 cup fills me up too much, about 3/4 of a cup leaves me satisfied without that bloated too full feeling (1/2 -2/3 of that being protein) so I only put that much on my plate. The amount will be different for everyone.

I was told that it should take 20-30 minutes to eat, if I am still eating after 30 minutes then I should stop eating and wait until I am hungry to eat again. I eat 3/4 cup a food 3 or 4 meals a day depending on my hunger.

Edited by Jodi_620

Thanks everyone for your input. Great points. I am trying to "re-train" my brain (hey I rhymed, lol). I have no restriction now, so eating only 1 cup of food might make me want to overeat and bloat, which I definitely do not want to do! I make myself eat a meal over 30 minutes because I am weighing/measuring out my food. I feel that, for right now and before my 1st fill, I need to know how to eat sloooowly. I'm so used to stuffing myself so fast. So far, when I take the time, I find I'm not putting my head in the pantry as much as I used to - Brenda

well actually we shouldn't eat until we are full u should eat until u are not hungry any longer. and most of the times after we eat 1/4 of a meal we are or shouldn't be HUNGRY any longer... Now eating until u are full is something else.... That means normally cleaning your plate... and that is what causes weight gain. Another thing is when u eat until u are no longer hungry means eating smaller meals more often.... which will result in weight loss.... Just eat when u are hungry.. and chew your food really good... Don't eat until u are full and u will be ok...

The problem I have with this theory, is the same thing that made me doubt this band would work...If we could all stop when we were "No Longer Hungry" vs. "full/stuffed" we would not be here...I feel like the band should make it almost impossible to "Over-Eat" and I'm not talking about the slider foods and junk food. I'm referring to a meal of Steak and potatoes, salad and bread...After a surgery it should not be the norm to feel the same way we did before. And that is just how I feel...When I stop eating it's due to will power. I may not feel "hungry" but almost always I feel as if I would like to eat more...To me this past 5 months has been like a very hard diet...and If not for the fact that I told everyone I was getting banded, I'd likely have quit from pure discouragement by now...I give great credit to all that have been succesful with the band. And I will continue to give it my best effort. I am down 40 lbs. But honestly, I'm having serious doubts about the effectiveness of this tool...

The problem I have with this theory, is the same thing that made me doubt this band would work...If we could all stop when we were "No Longer Hungry" vs. "full/stuffed" we would not be here...I feel like the band should make it almost impossible to "Over-Eat" and I'm not talking about the slider foods and junk food. I'm referring to a meal of Steak and potatoes, salad and bread...After a surgery it should not be the norm to feel the same way we did before. And that is just how I feel...When I stop eating it's due to will power. I may not feel "hungry" but almost always I feel as if I would like to eat more...To me this past 5 months has been like a very hard diet...and If not for the fact that I told everyone I was getting banded, I'd likely have quit from pure discouragement by now...I give great credit to all that have been succesful with the band. And I will continue to give it my best effort. I am down 40 lbs. But honestly, I'm having serious doubts about the effectiveness of this tool...

This thread was going strong until my post...That was on 6/25/08...Whenever I post something of this nature it is a complete thread stopper...I'm not sure if it is because I come across as discouraging...Or if others agree and are just trying to stay positive...Any thoughts???

I hope someone who has had the surgery can answer you :blink:

Did you have any fills yet? Maybe you are due for another?

Understanding exactly what u are talking about... But it sounds like u might not have a restriction. Prehaps u need to talk to your Dr. about getting more of a restriction... Also and yes I am still in the process of changing the way i think and react towards food. Knowing that I am thinking that ok i have THE BAND and now everything is going to be great... it is so diffrent from the gastric bypass and until u reach that sweet spot u are going to struggle... so just like myself I do have to excercise self control when i eat. Not saying that u do this, but for myself I am not going to eat until i get FULL.. becasue once i am full that is too much and i have learned that by reading and research... and the funny part is, is i was never taught that when i was growing up. I was always told to eat until u are full.. and by that time u are miserable... so along with having a tool that will help us control our food intake we have to say ok well this is enough... and back up... Also if we all drink the proper amount of Fluid on a daily basis u will get and stay fuller longer... just a thought....everyone is diffrent.. but hopefully something will work for u...

I have felt that, but I've been tracking what I eat on dailyplate.com and I can definitely notice that I'm eating so much less than ever before. And not because of willpower. I'm really not as hungry. I'm satisfied so much sooner! I got banded 2 1/2 weeks ago so I haven't had my first fill. The first few days i felt the same way. But I definitelly notice a difference.