Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all! I'm very new to this site, I found it while doing research online.

I'm scheduled to have my band put in on June 21 although I believe I'll have that date moved to the 23rd so my sister can be here with me. I live alone and have no family nearby so I think having someone to help take care of me is a good idea.

I'm scared but excited too. I love reading ya'lls posts. So informative, I'm learning a ton.

I'm scared, but mostly about the unknown, the "how much will my life change" aspect. I am a strong person so I know I can do this.

Any "words of wisdom" to think about as I wait about a month and a half to have this done? I'm crazy impatient and so ready to go, but I've got a bunch of work travel between now and mid-June so the 23rd is the best time.

Excited, scared, happy to be here with folks who have a lot of knowledge and experience!!

I live near San Francisco and will have the surgery done there.

Thanks Harley Nana! Was it tough to get used to eating such small amounts? It's a question on my mind a lot right now.

Best advice I can give you is this... Take the time you have before surgery and start cleaning up your eating habits so it won't seem so hard to do after surgery. Start excersisng, getting in a least 64 oz of Water. Start concentrating on chewing slower and not drinking with meals. think of your self as a bandster in training. Also go ahead and start making a list of things you will need for your hospital stay and the grocery list you will need for all your food stages. Alot of items you can buy now and will still be good. Canned Soups, Jello,Protein powder, ect...

The waiting is the hardest part but just hang in there it will be here and gone before you know it. Congratulations and I wish you lots of success with your new journey that is just beginning!!!!

Actually, it's surely small amounts, but it's also healthier food choices too. The band is a great tool and it helps to stay on track and focus on eating healthier. I choose Protein and fruits now where as before it was bread and potatoes.

Not washing and flushing your food down with liquid during a meal is probably one of the toughest changes, although, after 5 months, it's not that hard any more, cause if I do, then it's coming back.

Wow, that's great advice, I hadn't thought about starting to stock up now, but that's true. Good to have stuff on hand and ready! I have been trying already to slow down when eating. It's a HUGE change for me.

A "bandster in training", what a perfect concept!! Appreciate your insight Jammin' and Losin (great screenname!)

:)

Actually, it's surely small amounts, but it's also healthier food choices too. The band is a great tool and it helps to stay on track and focus on eating healthier. I choose Protein and fruits now where as before it was bread and potatoes.

Yep, I hear you. I come from a family of super fast eaters and great big portions. This is a whole new learning process for me on both counts.

My sister (who is supportive) has been saying "I don't know if I could do it", she and I have been talking a lot about how we were "taught" to eat as kids. It's hard to unlearn that type of behavior but I'm committed to it.

Good evening. I am also a bandster in training - May 26th. I did all of my shopping yesterday because I'm going out of the country Tuesday, when I return I am going to help my sister get ready for her daughter's graduation, coming home and having surgery.. so I understand about the travel.

At first I was real bummed out about being on the pre-op diet during all of this but now I am excited because it is the beginning of my new life eating.

Welcome to the site and this great bunch of people. My fears have been controlled and I feel much more prepared after reading here (every day).

I am also a bandster in training - May 26th.

Wow! That's coming right up! Congrats to you! Sending you lots of huge support and hugs!

Tell me about your pre-op diet? I haven't had this mentioned by my Dr, but I think it's still early yet. When I scheduled the date they said they would send me out a whole bunch of info. so maybe I'll get details there.

All I've heard so far is to try to lose some weight before surgery as it helps make your liver smaller which helps in the banding process.

Welcome to LBT! You've gotten some good advice from the others. Feel free to snoop around, and just give a holler if you need me. Have a great day! :)

Every surgeon has their own pre-op diet but here's the one they gave me (to shrink the liver):

For 2 weeks before surgery -

2 Protein shakes per day

1 meal with 4 oz meat and .5-1 cup of vegetables

Protein Shakes must include at least 20 grams of Protein and less than 5 grams of carbs.

In the literature, it says that starting sooner will be better. But they didn't seem too worried that I will probably only follow it strictly for 8 days. I will make better food choices before but I'm anxious to eat some of the fruits and vegetables that are available in Ecuador or SA.

Welcome to LBT! There is a lot of information for the taking, just browse through some of the older threads, and you will find lots of valuable information.

I can't see where it would hurt you to eat the wonderful foods in Ecuador or SA. I would be extra careful that you don't pick up a bug or parasite while there. That would be my only concern. I travel out of the country from time to time and I usually only drink bottled Water. And eat at reputable places. It still can't 100% keep you safe but at least you tried.

I envy your adventure to SA and Ecuador. You will have to post pics.

I will make better food choices before but I'm anxious to eat some of the fruits and vegetables that are available in Ecuador or SA.

The other thing all you pre-bandsters can do as well is take your measurements and take some pictures. Tuck them away till about a month after you are banded. Then take more measurements and more pictures and then do the celebration dance. HUGE differences.

Welcome Moon!! It is completely normal to be scared. I am a RN and I was terrified of the unknown. You are doing yourself a great service though by becoming informed and asking questions. I wish I had found this site before I was banded. I am just thankful I found it now.

Best of luck to you!