Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self-Pay out of the chute!

I was planning to be a self-pay but I lucked out at the last minute when my insurance changed and I received coverage.

I guess is depends on your surgeon. Even with self-pay I would have had to have the blood work/EKG/physician release, upper GI, psych evaluation and two nutrionist classes. The sleep study was optional and visit with the personal trainer was optional.

oh no, if you're self pay you won't have to do the 6 month pre-surgery diet. i'm self pay and there was about a 3 week window between my initial consultation and my surgery date!

Thats been my experience. I dont have any of the medical problems some have, so many thats why I was approved. Then it took another 3 days to get a date approved. The doctor was attending a seminar the first date I picked.

I still dont have a surgery time or a pre-opt diet and Im scheduled July 8th. I only have the post opt diet.

i was a self pay, everything was done within TWO WEEKS! i think everyone is MUCH MORE willing to work with you when you have the cash!!! still, my experience was great & i LOVE my dr!!

You have all been so helpful, thank you so much!! :sad_smile:

I am self-pay also. The hospital I work at is a bariatric surgery "Center of Excellence" but the employee insurance plans specifically EXCLUDE bariatric surgery!!!! SO, I am going to Dr. Aceves in Mexicali, Mexico. He has a great reputation and has done hundreds of bands. The package is only $7,000 exclusive of airfare (about $600) but that is much less than the $20,000 out-of-pocket "employee discount" offered by my employer! Surgery date July 15th. All I had to fill out was 2 medical history forms and I was accepted. Can't wait!! Christine

I went too 2 seminars within a 5 year period (was hoping insurance would cover, they never did) so now I’m self pay. I had my first visit with the nutritionist on June 9th. I began my liquid diet on June 12th. Had my pre-op on June 17th, but my EKG had some errors so they order a stress test done. Had that done on June 19th. I got news today that my heart was good and I was clear for surgery which is schedule for June 26th. Is that fast or what?

Well, I did have the initial consultation with Dr. Wieger and he confirmed I am definitely eligible for the surgery. But the surgeon I chose, Dr. DiMarco, is very busy and I do not see him until September. :)

I am going to DisneyWorld for the first time in September so the timing is ok with me, I just will be at my heaviest in all of my pics which is depressing. I was 'kinda sorta hoping' I would be able to get through the process this month in order to lose those initial pounds before the trip, but oh well.

I guess the wait is for the best as I would not want to have complications leading up to the Disney trip..especially when airfare is non-refundable!

Hello! I am also self pay (see siggy) my doctor handles a lot of self pay clients and he has a process that he has us do:

1) Initial Consult

2) 2 week pre-op medifast

3) 1 free seminar where you get to meet his staff and hear their successes etc. and bring your family

4) Get your Rx filled before the surgery (he gives you the script at step 1)

5) Hand in all your preop paperwork consent forms

6) Get a phone pre-op meeting with the surgery center 3 days prior to surgery.

Pretty slick if I say so myself!:wub:

(and I have something to compare it to! I was originally going through my insurance co. for the RNY GB - but changed my mind:scared2:)

I went to my seminar on June 12, had my pre-op appointment on July 2 (I waited a bit to call while I did more research) and then got my labs finished last Wednesday. They will schedule one more visit and my surgery before I have to go back to work Aug. 25th.

They basically nixed all the pre-op procedures, except the blood work/urine labs and the psychological eval... BUT the counselor I was seeing last year wrote a letter and they accepted that. I had to pay for the labs myself because my insurance won't even cover the labs. Because they are so finicky at my insurance company, the doctor said I was excused from everything else. I don't have any signs of sleep apnea, GI issues or anything else.

So ONCE the labs come back I am ready to go!! I am super excited.

Oh, and if I jumped through enough hoops I could probably get the bypass if I waited a couple years, but I don't want that procedure, I want the lapband, as it just seems better to me in every way.