Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

At 5 weeks and can eat everything and lots of it

Feedback would sure be great. I am about 5 weeks post op and lost 15 pounds on liquids and mushies, but after a few days of solids I started getting hungrier and can eat like I used to. Will this go away after I get my first fill??

Dan

Yes, the fills help. I have been banded since March 31st and have had 3 fills...be patient and don't try to outsmart your band...listen to your doctor/nutritionist. You have got to trade your bad habits for something else that is positive and productive.

Guest ZenGarden

Hi Dan,

Unfortunately, this is very common as you are only 5 weeks post-op and don't have any restriction yet. Willpower plays an integral part of the equation right now and this time is often called 'bandster hell' (the time in which you don't have restriction). My advice to you is to drink low calorie fluids to help keep you satiated.

Getting your first fill will help, and hopefully you will get good restriction from the beginning. There are a select few of us here who, like myself, are still battling hunger and lack of restriction at 15 months post-op.

Hello,

I was banded on April 30, 2008 and just had my first fill on June 21st.

I have had no restriction. I think I had been trying to outsmart my band - thinking that once I got restriction, I would be limited in what I ate - so I'd better 'go for it' until then (ice cream etc).

Well, after my first fill, I still feel nothing and realize I'd better shake the 'last meal' attitude and get a grip before I sabotage myself right back into my old habits. I've had no pain, no p'bing, nothing getting stuck, nothing to remind me that I've had anything done other than my empty pockets.

Hopefully the second fill, and better self control will do the trick. I'm a bit disappointed by still hopefull - but not 'full'.

I am at four weeks and also have lost 15lbs, and feeling the same way you are. I am hoping that after the first fill I will fill full again. Everything that I have read, and everyone I have talked to said that the first fill will help, and that this is normal for this stage of the game.

Do not freak out about being able to eat anything and everything at 5 weeks. Until you have had your first fill (and depending on your fill amount and band size it could be your 3rd fill - or more) and have restriction it's up to you and your will power to make the most of the situation, sucks I know but once you get that fill and get towards a good restriction level you will be rocking :) It took me at least 3 fills to even notice a difference.

And operagal, it's good that you realize you have "the last meal attitude" and know you have to do something about it as I had a VERY bad case of that and trust me, as I am sure you know, it doesn't do you any favours...

Good luck everyone :tongue:

Guest ZenGarden

Hello,

I was banded on April 30, 2008 and just had my first fill on June 21st.

I have had no restriction. I think I had been trying to outsmart my band - thinking that once I got restriction, I would be limited in what I ate - so I'd better 'go for it' until then (ice cream etc).

Well, after my first fill, I still feel nothing and realize I'd better shake the 'last meal' attitude and get a grip before I sabotage myself right back into my old habits. I've had no pain, no p'bing, nothing getting stuck, nothing to remind me that I've had anything done other than my empty pockets.

Hopefully the second fill, and better self control will do the trick. I'm a bit disappointed by still hopefull - but not 'full'.

It is very easy to get discouraged during this time because you go into surgery thinking you will wake up and not be hungry. Unfortunately, this just isn't the case and I believe this is why so many get frustrated with the band early on.

The band is a tool, which only works when properly calibrated to one's own individual needs. I am 15 months post-op and have had 8 fills. Since everyone reacts differently, it is difficult to know pre-op how you will react after surgery. Continue to do your best and make sure to get regular fills. Essentially, you are the only person who can guage your own restriction level and it may take more than average amount of fills to find your sweet spot.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your progress.

Thank you. You are absolutely right. I was hoping that I simply wouldn't be hungry. So many people write that that's what happened to them and I was hoping for the same. I really appreciate your response, it gave me both hope and much needed direction.

Hi Dan. Sounds like you need a fill. This gets better. Focus on your goal. My doc said that you never want to be full. This was a big adjustment for me. Stop while your ahead and get a fill. Once you have an adequate fill, the hunger pains will stop and it will become a chore. Good luck.

Hi I was banded on April 30th,2008 also. And lost 10lbs. UNTIL June 5th. Dr. Hart(Atl,GA) put in 4cc he said. I FEEL NOTHING. I can eat & eat & not feel full. It's awful. I went back June 16th. He said wait 2 more weeks & come back. Not loosing...but loosing & gaining the same 3-4 lbs. everyday.

Thanks-LuLu

234/now 221

Guest ZenGarden

Hi I was banded on April 30th,2008 also. And lost 10lbs. UNTIL June 5th. Dr. Hart(Atl,GA) put in 4cc he said. I FEEL NOTHING. I can eat & eat & not feel full. It's awful. I went back June 16th. He said wait 2 more weeks & come back. Not loosing...but loosing & gaining the same 3-4 lbs. everyday.

Thanks-LuLu

234/now 221

Hi Lulu: congrats on surgery! I don't know of Dr. Hart, but I use Dr. Steinberg at Dekalb Medical Center. You will find that you are still quite hungry even after being banded. Again, because your doctor waits typically 6-8 weeks post-op to give your first fill, your hunger level may be exactly the same as it was prior to surgery. This is unfortunate and very frustrating, but all part of the process. I have heard of some people here whose doctors filled their bands during surgery. In my eyes, this is the ideal situation...you go in for surgery and come out with a band AND moderate restriction from the beginning. I don't know why some doctors are more conservative than others, but alas...they are.

The main thing is to try your best to keep your eating under control during this 'bandster hell' as we call it. You will get good restriction at some point, but since the band isn't one size fits all, it might take several fills in order for you to reach your sweet spot.

Please feel free to PM me if you want/need to discuss this in private.

Best of luck to all of you and keep us posted on your progress.