Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated

:confused2: I had my surgery on October 30, 2007 and since then I have lost 45 lbs. I am happy about those 45 lbs but I am very frustrated. I have had 5 fills for a total of 6.8 cc's in a 10 cc band. What keeps happening is that I will lose weight for the first week or so after my fills and then I will get stuck at that weight until I get another fill and the same thing keeps happening over & over. I feel as though I am at a good restriction and am watching what I am eating, watching calories & have been excersicing. Has this happened to anybody else? I don't know what is going on or what should I do?????

Well.....first of all, you've lost more weight than I have, and I'm actually feeling pretty good, so this is liable to be tainted with optimism. Continue reading at your own risk.

That said, I will tell you that I feel like my weight loss is happening a little more slowly too, I have the same size band, and although I have restriction, when it's almost fill time, I tend to gain back a few already-lost pounds.

HOWEVER, and this is really the kicker: Would you have lost 45 pounds in about 8 months before lap-band? Was consistent, gradual, constant weight loss a reality in your life before? Did you EVER BEFORE have the feeling in your heart and the knowledge in your brain that the 45 you just lost is now GONE FOREVER??? I didn't, I can tell you that much.

The point is this: You're 30 years old. You have a LOT of life ahead of you. Who cares if it takes 2 years to get to your goal weight? I, for one, will make ANY time investment necessary to know that my future is brighter and longer, I will always be healthier than I was yesterday, and one day, I might be able to Comfortably walk around in a bathing suit! Whoa!!!!!

So, relax. You're doing fine. Your band IS WORKING. Trust it, trust yourself, and try to look on the bright side.

Edited by stranger138
spelling

That you for your response.

I do feel good with losing the 45 lbs and have now finally been able to look at my self and notice it.

I think what is frustrating me is that before the band I was able to go on a diet and lose 35-55 pounds in a couple of months time (3 at the most). The only problem there was that I would gain it back over time.

I will keep working at it and try to step up my workouts and try to get the last 65 lbs off. I guess what I am worried about is, am I only going to lose weight right after a fill???? what happens when I am at the bands full capacity????

Keep up the good work and realize that we are all different. We certainly did not gain the weight in eight months, it took a long time to put it on and it will take some time to get it off.

I too was banded in October 2007 (10/25) and to date I have lost 82 pounds (25 prior to surgery). Do not worry about the number, some have lost more and some have lost less. The thing to remember is it's going down, a slower weight loss is actually better.

I am completly off my blood pressure medicine, C-Pap machine and feel great. Hang in there you are on the right path, enjoy the ride.

:)

Thanks, you have done a good job too.

I have been reading the postings on here since before I got my surgery and I have seen some people lose slower but most have been at lot faster than me. I think my problem is that I have had the weight on for so long that I just want it off. I know it is not going to happen overnight but maybe just a little faster.

Many people here advise keeping a food journal. Online sites such as The Daily Plate or FitDay make it easy. It could help you to see how much Protein, carbs, and calories you are consuming and you can report it to your doc/nutritionist for their input.

Del, I really do think you'll find your "sweet spot" before your 10cc band is full. I know you see that you're 2/3 of the way full already, but trust me, there's a lot of room left! Like, I went from 3 to 5 to 7 in three fills, then had to go back down to 5.5 and then to 6. Now, I'm ready for another .5. 7cc was too much for me before, but I'll probably be back there in another 4 months. Next time you get a fill, your whole world may completely change. That's what's good about it. I don't know if I mentioned this earlier, but I've found a lot of others who have a little frustration with the 10cc band. Since it has so much more capacity, it takes longer to feel the restriction. People who have a 4cc band feel a difference with only a .25cc fill, where it's just not like that for us. The pendulum swings a lot wider for us, but we all eventually get to the sweet spot. Oh, and if it really DOES take complete capacity to get you to restriction, don't worry, because your band actually holds more than 10cc!!!!