Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Food Police!!!

Guest Leslie2Lose

Guest Leslie2Lose

I am surrounded by food police. I went to the beach this weekend and before I left one of the guys I worked with said, "Leslie, you've done so great, don't digress and get back into old habits. Did you eat a piece of candy earlier?" WTH? I ate a peppermint patty! One Peppermint Patty! Everyone I work with has to analyse everything I eat. If something doesn't look "healthy" they ask, "Can you eat that?"...Yes, I can eat it. I chew it up and swallow. How the hell do you digest your food? It's starting to bug me. I know they are coming from a good place and have good intentions. They want me to eat right and continue to lose weight. The majority of the time I healthy; low carb, high Protein and stay around 1000 calories a day. I know they care, but they just go overboard sometimes.

I also live with the "Commissioner" of the Food Police. DH also means well, but he drives me crazy. Either I'm eating the "wrong thing" or not eating enough. I wish I could find a happy medium with him. We went to Zaxby's this past weekend (at the beach - and I'm wasn't too happy - I wanted local foods, Panama City Beach, that I can't eat at home - that's for another topic altogether). Anyway, we went to Zaxby's and he asked if I could eat it. I ordered the kid meal. I had one chicken finger and maybe 4 french fries. Nothing is healthy there - and I can't do salad. I tried to make the best educated decision on the menu. He asked, "Can you have that?" Then asked when I said yes, "Should you eat that?" I just looked at him and continued to chew. I don't know if he does it just to make me mad or if he is serious.

I guess I'm just in a pissy mood today. I normally don't bitch about stuff like this, but the food police are pushing all of my buttons this week. Does anyone else have to deal with them?

I went to the beach with some friends/family last week and had the very same experience. And there was a lot of, "Whatca eating?" over-curiosity going on. Every time I ate anything at least one person would say, "Watcha eating?" I got kind of pissy by Thursday and when my aunt asked me what was wrong, I told her I didn't want so much attention focused on me. I don't like being the center of attention anyway. Like you, I know they mean well, but uhhhgggg!

I guess I am just that kind of person, I was at a BBQ the other day and someone asked "can you eat that" and all I said was "Well sure does look like it doesn't it" and just stared at them as I took another bite.

Another person tried the "Are you supposed to be eating that" my only response was "are you supposed to be this stupid or are you being special just for me".... again with the stare.

I am a hard ass bitch have been for as long as I can remember and enjoy turning the tables on people and making them eat there words... Parents included (I just doing in a more tactful way with them LOL)

I have quite a few food police around me. The worst about is my 6 year old Autistic son. He perserveres on everything and he has made my diet one of those things. It drives me nuts. I can't eat anything without him asking if I can eat it because he seems to think I can only eat popsicles, Soup and Jello and all the rest isn't allowed. My 16 year old SIL will sit and stare at me while I eat, and my husband's grandmother (who has always harped on my pickiness and my son's food issues) will ask about the things I can eat to no end. It is to the point that I don't want to go to family functions anymore because I can't stand it. I want to be normal and they make me feel like a freak!

My MIL is the WORST. She is continuously asking me if I am "allowed" to eat things. It grates on my nerves like no other. I always tell her that I am in charge of what goes into my body and don't need someone to "allow" me to eat anything.

On the other hand, I have found that I am becoming the food police. Crazy, huh? It's the worst with my husband. I don't actually say anything to him but when I see him eating gigantic portions, it just irks me. I feel like telling him he'll be the one needing the lapband next, lol! He eats his dinner, picks at whats left of mine AND our 20 month old daughter.

Tell 'em that it's rude and ask them to back off completely. It is your body and your fight.

Guest Leslie2Lose

On the other hand, I have found that I am becoming the food police. Crazy, huh? It's the worst with my husband. I don't actually say anything to him but when I see him eating gigantic portions, it just irks me. I feel like telling him he'll be the one needing the lapband next, lol! He eats his dinner, picks at whats left of mine AND our 20 month old daughter.

My DH does the same thing! I never finish my plate. He'll either finish it or if we are out to eat and I take it home, he'll eat that too. He does the same thing with both of DD's food. I tell him not to do that - he's going to end up gaining the weight I'm losing! He says that he doesn't want to "waste" it...I say waste away!

Eating food when you aren't hungry is just as much wasting it as throwing it out.

it's not wasting if you put it in the fridge for another time.

heck being able to take home a resturant meal and have it for 2 or 3 meals is a money saver in my opinion lol. Or even home cooked ones. Thats awesome.

I would seriosuly have a talk with him on the cleaning plate issue though or your right he will need a band next.

As for food police as long as your doing well and losing as you and your doctor are happy with. Tell em to bug the heck off! in however manner your feel is you. Sometimes you just gotta put your foot down and TELL people what is or isn't acceptable to you.

Sometimes you just gotta put your foot down and TELL people what is or isn't acceptable to you.

Seriously, being policed over food choices would be totally counter-productive for me.

Sorry you're going through that...and for the most part (especially in your DH's case) people are honestly trying to help. I'd just let them know that kind of help...doesn't really help at all.

Guest Leslie2Lose

I tell them everytime I can eat want. I just can't eat very much of it. I tell them EVERY TIME. It doesn't seem to deter them. It is now getting followed by the leave me the hell alone look. It's not like I'm eating BAD food. OMG - One York Peppermint Patty isn't going to kill me - it's not like it was a Snickers Bar.

I guess they think I should still be eating Jello and drinking broth...

My father is the worst and he doesn't even live close to me. He paid for 1/2 of my surgery (self-pay), so I'm going to have to just deal with it, but it does get so irritating. Thankfully, he does live so far away and I'm so grateful for his help - Brenda

My SO's mother who just met me but knows I've had surgery says, "I should take your plate so you quit nibbling." They were done eating and I hadn't taken much, but as you all know it takes time to eat and I wanted ALL my food. In all seriousness I looked this 70 year old woman in the eye and told her, "I'll stab your hand with this fork if you touch my plate."

We all laughed. I asked my SO if that was too much too soon and she laughed saying her mother learned not to mess with me and my food from the beginning which was a good thing.

Whew....she still likes me so I suppose that's okay.

This is why I'm not sharing with anyone! Other than DH (of course), I've told one of my best friends and my mom. That's it. Part of why I told my best friend is that she and/or her 13 yr old DD are taking care of my DD when I have classes or appts and DH isn't home. I needed to let her in on it so she wouldn't worry.

As far as everyone else is concerned, I'm taking a weight management class through Kaiser and am slowly losing weight (which is true!), they just don't need to know the real reason behind the class itself!

After surgery, I'll decide if (and who(m?)) else I might tell.

You are going to have to tell people to back off. It's really none of their business WHAT or HOW MUCH you eat!

In all seriousness I looked this 70 year old woman in the eye and told her, "I'll stab your hand with this fork if you touch my plate."

Haha that's awesome. Glad things were okay after that though.:(

Edited by Froggi