Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello from Roanoke Va banded in Jan 2008

Hi my name is ken I was banded VCU In Richmond Va on Jan4 2008..spent two days in intensive care because of complications in waking up due to sleep apnea...otherwise the operation was a breeze..not not much pain after surgery..I was the first at VCU to have the new AP lap band used...very suprised and dissapointed after surgery that I could still eat like normal so waited untill my first fill one month later dissapointed then to that soon after still no restriction.

They say the third time is the charm..so after my third fill I finally felt restriction..I have never vomited and don't have the so called slime other people have had..I now eat about 1/3 of what I used too..sometimes my brain writes bigger checks then my stomache can cash..In other words I'm still used to having a large plate of food in front of me, but I start eating and get full very quicky..I think my dog is gaining weight!!.

First fill 2cc second fill 2 cc third fill 2cc fourth fill 1 cc and holding at this point

Start 317 pounds....now at 277 but remember I haven't had restriction until one month ago..so in other words 30 pounds was loswt before surgery and two weeks after and the rest has come off since the Fills have started working.

I would like to hear from othe people nearby..I originally had Dr White to perform my surgery but after jumping through all the hoops and hurdles one week before my scheduled surgery I was notified he was no longer with Carilion..I did a lot of research and found a wonderful Dr Kellum at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond that has performed over 1500 successful surgeries and is actually a teaching professor. I did not feel comfortable with the remaining surgeon left at Carilion at Roanoke.

My only drawback is I have to drive 6 hours round trip for fills. But my life is worth that!

Sincerly,

Ken

Congrats on having the lap-band surgery and your success.

I had my surgery on March 24th at Roanoke with Doctor Bruce Long. I do not know what your issues with Doctor Long are (I do not want to hear horror stories) but I like him and have much success with him. My surgery went well and was back to work in 10 days. Not much pain either.

My first appointment was back in December. I lost 30 pounds before surgery and have lost 40 pounds (as of today):ohmy: since my surgery. I have had one fill in early May and I have an appointment next week.

I have not been sick (vomit/slime) and have good restriction. I do not want another adjustment yet. I can eat a small amount (not tiny) and feel full and an losing weight. So I am happy!!!!

Now that you have restriction, you should be on your way.

Best of luck!

Thankyou for the reply! We are both about on the same course....Dr Long did not do Lap Bands about last August...so he was not available then..my nurse told me that it usually takes between 3 to five fills on average before they hit the perverbial sweet spot. I guess my biggest dissapointment is that I assumed right after surgery I would feel restriction..other then that I'm extremely pleased...Congrats on 40 pounds lost!!!! It is so much joy to try on those pants you haven't worn in a while and they fit..like most of us I have a closet full of different size clothes.

Maybe I'll see you next month at the supoort group in Roanoke

Ken

Actually I am number 11 or 12 for Dr. Long's lap band surgeries. However, he has done Gastric Bypass for several years and a surgeon for quite some time. So I really did not feel like a guinea pig.

I have not been to a support group meeting. I know I probably need to go. I just have not made much time for it.