Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am ten days out and on liquids. I finally couldn't take shakes anymore and i had 2 oz of refried Beans and then couple hours later some tuna. I just was starving and so weak and energyless and needed some protien besides shakes! I just want to cry I feel like I am a loser and even surgery can't keep me from eating! Please tell me someone has done this and how did you stop once you started? And some ideas on Protein Shakes I am so burnt out on vanilla with crystal light! Thanks

A liquid is technically anything that can go up a straw and at 10 days out they can be quite thick.

There isnt any need to live on shakes. You could blend up a decent Soup - one that contains meat and Pasta for example. If you need to thin it, do so with some chicken stock or a canned tomatoes, Water or milk, depending what it is.

You can also blend fruit, yogurt and an egg with some flavouring, it doesnt have that horrid soy-ish Protein shake taste. You can put bran or other Cereal in it too.

You can thin anything to a liquid, even a roast dinner. Just make it into a savoury Soup with stock. Just keep it to healthy, energy giving foods and dont eat them in solid form until you are allowed to.

I'm not sure what your Dr. told you to 'eat' on the liquid stage but I never did a single Protein shake after my surgery.

I was on liquids for 2 weeks and like Jachut said, almost anything can be made into a liquid. I strained and blended all kinds of Soups, I blended yogurts with milk and fruits and then strained the chunks. My only real rule on this phase of the 'diet', as per my Dr's instructions, were that whatever I ate was smooth and had no bits or pieces in it so that my stomach didn't need to churn to digest.

My bullet got a workout during the first 2 weeks !!! :ohmy:

You didn't do a 'bad' thing. You slipped up briefly and you already know you made a mistake so just get back on plan and forget about it. Maybe now with a few different ideas you'll be able to get back to liquids and not feel so shakey and weak.

All the best and good luck !!!

Patricia

11/16/06

306/202/175ish

Fletcher,

Don't beat yourself up! You have already done it and you can't go back and correct it. But, what you can do is make a decision right now to stay on track. If you are like me, your dieting history probably included so many starts and stops. As soon as I blew a diet, I would think, "well, I already messed up, so I might as well eat this too." Don't let that happen to you this time.

Instead, get focused on letting your body heal...that is the whole point of the liquid phase. If you keep eating solids before your body is fully healed, you could have some complications. I came to love Tomato Soup during the liquid phase. My doctor even let me crumble up some crackers in the Soup. If you make the soup with milk instead of Water, you are adding some Protein that way. Some milk has more Protein than others. If you are in an area with a Braum's store, their milk has a lot of protein compared to most.

Hang in there! You can do this. I know that it seems like the liquid phase will last forever, but you'll be through it before you know it!

Agreed with the others. Don't feel guilty. First of all, you will be allowed to eat that kind of food once your stomach heals. So it is not like you were eating some forbidden food that packs in the calories. Just get back on track. I am on my 16th day of liquids and I have experimented ever so slightly here and there with a little thicker stuff....or today I had to break down and have a very runny boiled egg to get some Protein in me before my workout. The main issue with the first few weeks is to allow proper healing to take place more so than the number of calories you are taking in.

You will note that most doctors say that ONLY in the first few weeks can you have certain drinks/liquids that are higher in calories that you should not consume following your healing. This is to allow you to have enough energy on a very reduced diet so take advantage of this, enjoy it and view it as the start of a longer journey.

From a view of 30,000 I think we can all agree that 2 oz of Beans barely registers!

I am 12 days post op and I did the same thing I feel like a failure I ate some stuffing with chicken blended to a mushie type stage and I did ok with it but I am suppose to be on full liqids for 3weeks I am just tired of those Protein Drinks and fruit smoothies I want food. I will get back in the boat and try to stay in but is hard I wish u all the success with these stages that we are going thru.

Thanks everybody for your support! I love this forum its so great to have someone who knows what you are going through! I just want to be successful! So again thanks for the support and ideas!

Hey FletcherGirl,

I'm 6 days post op and on liquids also, and it SUCKS to say the least, especially when I see that others can have soft foods at 4 DAYS post op!!! What's up with that? I've sneaked a few bites of like cooked soft carrot from my broth and even had two fritos one day!!! I think "cheating" is probably common because we ARE STARVING right now, to say the least, of course we want to EAT!!! Jello, broth and freaking popsicles? There's no way in hades that I will make it the two weeks, but I see my doc on Wednesday and hopefully he will let me go ahead and move on to soft stuff, or even blending my Soups would be fine with me, just SOMETHING to get my stomach to stop growling!! Don't feel bad about it in the mean time, from what I read on here, the first six weeks is for healing and learning the diet, so don't be so darn hard on yourself!!! Did you get sick from the refried Beans, cuz I have SO been craving something like that!! Let me know how it's going and come into the chat room later or in the morning, there are a lot of kewl folks in there to talk with!!!

TTYL,

Darie (Bluefish62)

Oh and one more thing, my favorite Protein is Designer whey, even my boys love it and I make like milkshakes(with Mootopi and ice cubes)out of it and freeze them and when I'm needing it, just take one out and thaw it a bit, so you get the protein and the taste too(i even cheat a bit and add a little Sugar Free Chocolate Syrup or Agave sweetener). But the protein is actually pretty good, and I'm sorry that I called you a girl, for all I know, you might be a guy!!!

Whoops!!

Darie