Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are you setting your Goal weight?

While I have a ways to go, I've been thinking about what my goal weight should be. Sure, I'm setting small goals along the way (e.g., first 50 pounds lost--which I reached today:thumbup:), but how much should I ultimately weigh? I'd love to hear what factors you all are using to set your goal weight.

I asked the same question of my surgery coordinator. She works it out as you should give yourself 100lbs for 5 feet of height, 5lbs for each additional inch of height (reduce 10% for small frame, add 10% for a large frame)

So if you are 5'8" and have a large frame (i.e. broad shoulders) your ideal weight should be 154lbs.

Make sense?

Hi Lucy! Congratulations on your milestone!!!! I left you a post on our 300 pound thread!!! :redface: My doctor picked a goal for me of 180 pounds and I'm 5'9". I think all of my weightwatcher info had my height a range of 150-170, based on my frame.

I too am setting smaller goals so it doesn't become too over- whelming. I actually will be beyond words if I ever make it (when I make it) below 200 pounds!!!!!

I haven't been under 240 pounds since I was in high school many years ago, and I think if you have been that heavy for that long, you almost need to see where you feel comfortable at.

Tess

I looked at the BMI chart and picked a weight that would put me just below the overweight catagory, but not right on the line. Of course that may change once I meet with the surgeon on Monday. I just figured if I'm going to do this I don't want to be called overweight again.

Thanks everyone! Tess, I appreciate your support and encouragement! I agree that even if we set our goal weights, they may change. We need to base it on how we feel once we get closer. The lightest I've ever been was 155 when I was a senior in high school (I went on Medifast for several months to get there). I was about a size 8/10, which seemed to be a good size for me. (Of course, my friends at the time were confronting me thinking I was anorexic. I mean, come on, I wasn't that thin!) I'm 5'8", so that would be at the top of the range using the formula that vegwannabe posted.

I picked mid point in my healthy weight range. I'd like to go a bit lower, but it will take quite a lot of hard work and sacrifice at this point in time, and I'm not sure its really worth it. I"m good at maintenance, suck at dieting. I got here without really dieting but to lose any more would mean DIETING. Ugh. Not sure. I'd love to be 65kg but I suspect I may look a bit old and gaunt that low too.

Really, it would be better to get Lipo on my fat bum and leave my upper body the way it is, lol.

Thanks Jacqui! You are an inspiration. From your picture, it looks like you look fantastic! I've enjoyed reading many of your posts over the last few months.

I am struggling with that question a bit right now myself. I didn't want to set it too low and be unrealistic. When I lost a lot of weight when I was in my 20's and my body fat % was pretty low, I still was a higher weight than the charts showed I should be. I guess you sometimes have to go with what will be best for you.

I was banded at the end of March. I initially put 160 as my goal - I am at about 184 now. I have lost about 40 pounds, but only about 2 sizes in clothes. I was hoping to at least be able to shop in most any type of store for clothes when at goal, but I might have to re-think that.

But those smaller targets along the way certainly do help!

when I graduated from highschool I weighted 135 I thought I was fat then. I now look at pictures from then and I now think I was quite pretty and looked normal weight. I have decided now that i would be happy at 150 so that is my goal. I'm only 5'2" so according to the charts I will still be over weight but I can handle that.

I thought I'd pick a weight that puts me in the exact middle of a healthy BMI for my height (that would be 113 pounds) and I can live with that. However, I'd really love to get to what I weighed until my 40's which was 102. Being realistic though, I will be thrilled with anything that is in the normal BMI range. I just don't want to be obese anymore!

I have set mini goals for weight loss...down to 200 lbs by september 13th our wedding anniversary then then novembere then december by january 2009 I want to be down to 169 lbs

I asked the same question of my surgery coordinator. She works it out as you should give yourself 100lbs for 5 feet of height, 5lbs for each additional inch of height (reduce 10% for small frame, add 10% for a large frame)

So if you are 5'8" and have a large frame (i.e. broad shoulders) your ideal weight should be 154lbs.

Make sense?

so because I'm five feet exactly I "should" weigh 100 pounds even?

I too have been wondering how people choose a final weight that is a goal to get to :)

I'm going to cheat! I'm going to go down to 200 lbs, then have some plastic surgery, which will hopefully drop me another 5 to 10 lbs...

So, final goal, with an assist from PS: 190 - 195.