Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everone, I am new at this so bear with me. I am trying to decide to if I want to go the band way :rolleyes2:. Does anyone know of anyone that had the band put in after age 60? I am diabetic and have other health problems and my Endocrinologist and I discussed banding but, I am so undecided. I am from PA and was also wondering if there is anyone out there that had the Lap Band procedure done in Pittsburgh or knows of a good surgeon there that does it. Just one more thing...I am so proud of all of you that I have read about. I have battled weight for years and I know how hard it is.

When I went to my doctor's seminar (I am 55) there were at least half a dozen people there - male and female - who were older than me. I believe one woman was 65. We are never too old to get healthy, feel better, and enjoy life. Good luck to you!

There is a whole thread for people over 60 on the site. Just go to the home page and scroll down and you should find it. Good luck in your decision.

Hi Young At Heart.....

I am 64 years old and will be having my band put on July 3rd. I have had diabetes for 10 years, and also have high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I've been able to control my diabetes very well with oral medications. However, I was concerned that it probably won't be many more years that the oral medications will be effective. I was told they are good for about 10 years. Don't know how true that is, except my dad was on orals for about 8 years before he had to go to insulin. I just felt inspired that it was time to make a life-style change and hopefully avoid the result of long-time diabetes, such as blindness and loosing fingers, toes, feet or legs. It just seemed that it was time to take the bull by the horns and do something positive. I started checking into this back in February, and it has taken a long time to get everything done. The doctor wanted lots of tests to make sure I am healthy, and I am sure that that is the best way, even though it has made it a long, drawn-out process. I got all the tests done by the end of April, but his first appointment was 19 June. Then I got bronchitis and the bad cough that goes with it, so banding has been rescheduled to 3 July. I feel good about this surgery because I know that the other options in treating my diabetes only mean more medications or insulin. If I can get off the meds for good, my whole body will be better off. Not such a job for the kidneys and liver...better for the heart. Well, you know..... Take your time in deciding what you want to do because it will mean a life-style change. But your life will also probably be longer and healthier.

At one of the seminars I attended there was a lady there telling her story about the Lap Band. She was 67yrs old and had it put in at age 65. She looks 20 yrs younger then she did in her before pictures. She said she felt better then she did when she was 30.

Go for it! :redface:

Thank you all for your replys and especially referral to the 60+ group.

My first husband died 4 yrs ago with complications from diabetes and he had the front part of his foot off first then the leg below the knee. He started with a heart attack at age 48 and lived for 20 yrs with the complications of the disease. I remarried and don't want to end up like that although I have already had stents but eyes, kidney function and liver function so far have been good.

God Bless and keep up the good work.

Young at heart--I was on BP meds for the last 7years or so. The day of my surgery, got off of them. My BP this afternoon was 114/70. No meds! Pretty good deal, huh?

I asked the same ? a couple of months ago. I was banded 2 weeks ago. I am 59 . I have had no problems and feel great.

It is a tough decision but I am so glad I made it.

The lady that is my patient consultant or whatever the term is says she is age 67. She has lost 65 lbs in 10 months, not as huge of a loss as some, but she is doing well.

Hi everone, I am new at this so bear with me. I am trying to decide to if I want to go the band way :ohmy:. Does anyone know of anyone that had the band put in after age 60? I am diabetic and have other health problems and my Endocrinologist and I discussed banding but, I am so undecided. I am from PA and was also wondering if there is anyone out there that had the Lap Band procedure done in Pittsburgh or knows of a good surgeon there that does it. Just one more thing...I am so proud of all of you that I have read about. I have battled weight for years and I know how hard it is.

I am 61 and was banded on June 8th. I didn't have any complications but my surgery took 4 hours because I had to have a hiatal hernia repaired at the same time. Even with the extensive "remodeling" I was up and about without pain a couple of days after. My doctor decided to do lapband rather than bypass because I have diabetes II, COPD and various other problems. I've already lost 20 lbs and still have my first fill to do. Although I originally wanted the bypass I'm glad that I went lap band because it is reversible, less invasive and can be easily tweaked to my needs. I interviewed several doctors before I chose my doctor. Good luck.;)