Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I have lap band surgery

Guest Paula M.

Guest Paula M.

I am 53 years old, 5'1" tall, and weigh 163 pounds with a BMI of around 31. I have always been overweight, sometimes 10 to 15 pounds, sometimes more, but always overweight. I have struggled my whole life with my weight and it has a substantial impact on my self concept. I think in many ways it has held me back socially and professionally. I am happily married with 2 children and am reasonably successful. Here's my dilema. One side of me would really like to have the lap band surgery. I see it as a tool to keep me in line with food. I tend to use food for comfort when I am mad, bad, sad...you name it, I overeat. The lap band would be like a watchdog, reminding me not to do that.

Here are my concerns and questions:

1. Since I have always relied on food for comfort, am I going to have emotional issues with the lap band because my comfort blanket will be gone?

2. Is lap band surgery an extreme measure that I shouldn't be using when I am probably only 35 to 40 pounds overweight?

3. I suffer from Migraines, would I have problems taking medication for my headaches, such as Excedrin, if I have the surgery done?

I have a million more questions, but these 3 are at the top of my list.

Paula - Each person is different, but if I was only 30 pounds overweight, I would not have the surgery. This is not a quick fix, it is really hard to stay in the guidelines of the band. Have you tired to stay on an exercise program? You still have to exercise with the band. Have you tried watching what you eat? You still have to do that with the band. Some people have to give up foods that they really enjoy to have the band, are you willing to do that?

Like I said, surgery is not an easy way out, so you will need to research all the information about the band and decide if it is right for you. I would try everything I could to lose the weight by myself before considering surgery.

Good Luck!

Paula, I also have Migraines and was (am) an Excedrin user. It's the only

one that will help my migraines. They do make an aspirin free Excedrin which

(for me) works as well as the regular. (the aspirin in it is what we are not supposed to have) Also, there is a liquid product called Gel Stat that is for

migraines. I haven't tried it since I haven't had a Migraine since being banded

on 3/10, so I can't vouch for it effectiveness.

As for having the surgery, I would love to be at your weight of 163 (I'm now

at about 205) but weight is such an individual thing, if you feel you couldn't

lose down to whatever weight you desire to be by diet/exercise alone, lap

band is the safest alternative.

Good Luck in your decision,

Rhonda

Dr Lopez 3/10/05

221/205/130

1. Since I have always relied on food for comfort, am I going to have emotional issues with the lap band because my comfort blanket will be gone? The comfort blanket will be food no matter whether you get banded or not. I think most if not all of us use food or used food at one point as comfort. I know I did. And yes I still do. The thing with the band is you STILL have to make better choices of what foods you eat. The cheetos, fritos, ice cream, Cookies, candies, sodas, milkshakes, etc still go down really easy with the band. Yes, we don't or can't eat as much as we would have without the band, but we have to consciously make better choices. Also, find something else to direct that stress when you want to grab a cookie for comfort.

2. Is lap band surgery an extreme measure that I shouldn't be using when I am probably only 35 to 40 pounds overweight? I will stop just short of saying you shouldn't have the band. I would never want to make that decision for anyone else. If I were you and only had 40 lbs to lose I would look at my eating habits and what kind of exercise I am getting. Maybe just a change in your diet will help stimulate the weight loss. I know you are struggling with it much like we all are, so I hear your frustration. Discipline is the hardest thing to accomplish when we are overweight.

3. I suffer from Migraines, would I have problems taking medication for my headaches, such as Excedrin, if I have the surgery done? I too suffer from migraines. I can take capsule Excedrin with no problems. I had to break them in half at first but now I can take them without any complications. If you eliminate some things in your diet you might find the migraines will either go away or diminish in frequency. I got rid of Equal and my migraines almost disappeared. Just a thought.

Hope this helped.

Most of us would be happy to be at a goal of 163. I'm 5'1 and when I get to 160 that may very well be goal for me, then again, I'm 55, so I don't ever expect to be 125 again, (like I was for a week in 1982, LOL). The band is definately a tool, it's not a cure all, we still have to make good choices every day, the band does not do all the work for us, but by golly it does help.

perhaps a psych evaluation will help with the emotional eating issue?I hope you find the answers you r looking for-this is a fabulous board for support.

Guest Paula M.

I realize that lap banding is only a tool and that I will still have to make good food choices and exercise. What I'm trying to decide is whether it is a tool I should be considering. If it would help me control what seems like a never ending desire to eat, then it would be worth it.

Each of you that responded, although none of you came out and said it, sound like you don't think I should do this. I'm curious as to why you feel that way.

Guest Paula M.

You all sound like you're advising me not to have the lap band procedure. Could you be more specific why you don't think I should do it?

Guest Paula M.

Paula M.]You all sound like you're advising me not to have the lap band procedure. Could you be more specific why you don't think I should do it?

I wouldnt imagine anyone is suggesting against it-its just a personal choice for a tool to help you lose weight-not a cure all ya know?I actually think most everyone here is very glad they got the band and would do so again but-each case was what was good FOR THEM-you have to make that choice.

I'm not sure anyone is actually saying you shouldn't get it, shouldn't need it, or don't deserve it, or don't struggle with your weight any less than any of the rest of us.

I guess it's just odd to have someone just above my goal weight thinking about doing what I have just done.

On the one hand, who am I to say you shouldn't? Just because you "only" weigh 163. Some could say that about me at "only" 220+ band day weight. Don't tell me I shouldn't get banded just because you would be so happy to be the weight I am now. We ALL struggle. I got banded because I couldn't get anywhere diet-wise and keep the weight off. Even if I did lose a good 50lbs, what's the liklihood of me keeping that off for the next 20+ years? That and few other things made my decision and I'm happy with it so far.

BUT I wouldn't recommend this surgery to anyone struggling with their weight. It's a huge life change. It's a huge commitment. Believe me when I tell you I have been tempted in the last 4 weeks to toss away the money I spent on the Band, and then some, to have this sucker yanked out. There have been moments when I hated it.

Another decision maker for me was talking to my mom...she's 66 years old, weighs around 135 (she's 5'2") and is only there because she does Jenny Craig. When I found out she was going back to Jenny Craig at her age, I saw my future, the next 20-30 years with this eating monkey on my back. Yes, I will still have to fight that monkey, but it will be possible for me to maintain a healthy weight loss now, I have hope.

You need hope, too. You deserve it as much as I do. You, too, can have this tool and should if you want it. Got money? Get Band!

But if I could do it without it, I would. This is not very easy. It's BIG.

Weigh it carefully. That's really all folks are saying, I think. That's what I say, anyway.

Good luck with your decision. You have my support no matter what. Just read lots in here, and make sure this is the life you know you can live.

Hi paula,

First, I dont think there is a surgeon out there (even in Mexico) that would band someone with a 31 BMI. You would have to have some serious comorbidities for anyone doctor to consider this.

Please understand that I am not unsympathetic to your situation. If a tool like the lapband was available when I was "only 35 pounds overweight", perhaps I would not have ballooned up to over 334 lbs.

Yes, I think banding is an extreme measure for someone to consider that is overweight or borderline obese. I think what most people are trying to tell you here is that the band truly is just a tool that helps with satiety. Unlike a bypass where you have dumping to prevent or discourage you from eating a piece of chocolate cake, you dont have either malabsorption or dumping with the lapband. So having the band wont stop you from eating a bowl of ice cream or Cookies or tortilla chips or soft high caloric foods or candy etc... It will help you with Portion Control if you stick to the solid Proteins. If you are eating watery mash potatoes, you probably could eat a similar portion after banding if you wanted to.....

Babs in TX

Hi

I wouldnt have had this surgery if I had less than 70 pounds to lose.My doctor does the operation on people with a BMI of 42 and over.

This is not just a little band around the stomach.When a person needs constant medical supervision it means they have a medical condition that warrants it.If you have no specific weight related co morbids (and I dont think Migraine is directly related....but may be food related..) then why create a "condition"?

I am in the medical field and if you need someone to say dont have the band,I will say it.Dont have a band.Doctors shouldnt do the operation on people with such a low BMI anyway.

When I was 40 pounds overweight I wore a size 14 and I looked like a doll......I was only ever thinner than that when I had an eating disorder.

Relax,enjoy life.I sometimes think that if I get to 40 pounds overweight I dont know what I will do.....

I really have sympathy with any person that's got weight issues.It is so much thing of how we feel about ourselves.But having an operation is such a drastic thing.

Please you all,dont jump on me.Any operation is a risk.And this is a foreign object being implanted into your body.It should only be done if really neccessary.

That said.....it is only my opinion and we know the saying about opinions.

Thanks

Guest Paula M.

Thank you so much to everyone for giving me your perspectives. I really appreciate it. I'd appreciate any additional comments as I struggle with this decision.