Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Carb Banders Unite

What are all you low carb bansters doing about Constipation. Last night I thought I was going to die.

Im not banded yet, but I put 4 teaspoons of benefiber in my morning Protein Shake and 2 teaspoons in my afternoon sweet tea (made with splenda) and it seems to help a little. Still wish it would work a little better though. I am thinking of switching to citricel (sp) and see if that works even better.

Make sure you are getting 30-40 grams of Fiber per day and that helps tremendously... they make splenda packets now with one gram of Fiber per packet.... you can buy fiber sprinkles and add it to everything... then South Beach makes the "Tide you over" drink packets and they have 5 grams of fiber per packet.... Beans are great Protein as well as terrific fiber.... include them in at least one meal a day...... do a google search for high fiber foods and that will help you understand some more things that you need to eat everyday... if you eat way too much fiber you could still stay constipated..... 30-40 grams is perfect... most americans only get 10-15 grams per day.... so up your fiber! It's also essential for good health!

Kammi in Everett, WA

Hi Denise,

I always try to eat either a yogurt or a cottage cheese with culture and that helps keep me regular on a low carb diet. Activia is great and makes a good lunch or Breakfast. There are several brands of cottage cheese that have live culture (acidopholus???) in it and they do the same thing.

A small amount of spinach or brussels sprouts can also help, and they are fairly low carb.

Good luck,

Nancy

yeah, I have been eating the activia. I always wonder if it really has anything special in it or if all yogurt has the good bacteria in it.

This is one reason I eat the Kashi crunch Cereal. It's the highest fiber of all the cereals. I try not to eat anymore big carb foods the rest of the day.

That benefiber does nothing for me other than give me gas. I tried Citricel and that made it worse! I am going to either buy some prunes, and/or talk to the pharmacist about which is better long term, stool softners of miolax.

Hi all,

I stumbled on this thread and instantly became interested in the low-carb thing and trying to get in ketosis. Sounds like it's something I might be able to follow. I was banded in March. I've lost a total of 19 lbs and have restriction yet the weight isn't coming off. I do keep a food journal but I was not aware of how important the low carbs were to weight loss. Thanks for the info.

Also, you can try coconut fiber/flour... it is four times as high in fiber as oat bran and twice as high as wheat bran without the glycemic effect that the grains have.... your blood sugar won't raise nearly as much and it is so darn healthy for you too.... you can use the coconut fiber/flour in things like your yogurt or such.... I also have a cookbook called "cooking with coconut flour" by Bruce Fife.... made the best pancakes too! It doesn't contain wheat gluten so it isn't sticky and is band friendly.... chewing on dried, unsweetened coconut is a good way to get fiber too..... here is a link below on coconut fiber.... hope you enjoy like I do... of course if you are one of the few that is allergic to coconut, this won't work for you.

Kammi in Everett, WA

Coconut Dietary Fiber: A New Dietary Supplement

yeah, I have been eating the activia. I always wonder if it really has anything special in it or if all yogurt has the good bacteria in it.

This is one reason I eat the Kashi crunch Cereal. It's the highest fiber of all the cereals. I try not to eat anymore big carb foods the rest of the day.

That benefiber does nothing for me other than give me gas. I tried Citricel and that made it worse! I am going to either buy some prunes, and/or talk to the pharmacist about which is better long term, stool softners of miolax.

Hi,

I work for about 15 GI doctors. They say to avoid any laxative that has senna in it.... I have seen what it does to the colon (turns it black). Miralax is an osmotic laxative that pulls Water into your stool and they say it is safe to use daily, however it can be expensive. I use that in my Protein Shake every day also, and I have had no problem since. It is still extremely important for you to get your fiber, that is a big key to a healthy colon. However, if you are using a fiber supplement make sure you drink plenty of water, it adds bulk to your stool and if you use to much of it you will remain constipated.

Hope this helps a little!

I have decided not to low carb it anymore. Every time I go off for a day I gain back 2/3 lbs. I usaully weigh once a week unless i go off low carb. I have decided I am tired of loosing the same lbs. As long as I eat healthy I will loose the same as if I was low carbing.

I drink so much Water I am about to float away. That's why I don't get why the citricel and metamucil made it worse.

I am going to look into coconut. I have read on another board the benefits of coconut. I am not allergic and think it tastes great!

Todays menu

Breakfast: 1 hard boiled egg 2 slices of turkey bacon

snack : 1 oz of almonds (surprisingly, very filling)

Lunch: salad with grilled chicken

Snack: 1 oz almonds

Dinner: Enchilada bake (tasted better the second day)

I modified the Enchilada bake recipe with fat free items, it still turned out pretty well, my husband ate it, so that has to be a good sign!

Hope everyone is having a good week!!

I blew it today and had birthday cake at my nephew bd party. I finally got the few lbs off from my last social function and now i know the scale will be up again tomorrow. Damn!

Well.....I dont understand this one.. but I have had at least 1 hard boiled egg everyday for the last couple of weeks and all the sudden, today, it doesn't agree with me. It sat funny until I finally had a PB. So it was Clear Liquids for lunch.

Mmmmmmmm....birthday cake, I will probably gain a pound just because I thought of it sinfully hahaha

That's the way I am. if I let my mind even wander about thoughts of sweets, the thoughts will take over and I will end up gaining 3-4 lbs.

I thought about not going to this party cause I knew I couldn't resist chocolate cake. I am glad I went though. None of the rest of the family showed up and I was glad I was there for my nephew's sake.

I agree with you all. If I even think of something carby and sinful, the scale seems to know and it goes up! Right now, I'm happy and loving my band. At least, I will continue to love it if it keeps working for me LOL!

Nancy

Denise~ I am glad you went for him too then, sometimes special people are worth an extra week of battling the scale! I wouldn't miss my nephews birthday either!

Angel~Congrats on your wonderful weight loss!! I am in Pasco County.....in the Land O' Lakes/Odessa area! Nice to see someone from Florida!! Keep up the good work and we will try not to think of all of the yummies that got us where we are fighting to get away from