Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering banding in Manitoba

wellllll....somewhat bad news....My surgery date is now post poned to August 5th, slinky i might just see you there. An emergancy came up so they had to push back my date.

But soon enough I will have it done and on my way.

They usually give you 2 boxes of chocolate and one of the vanilla, why don't you ask if they can give you just the chocolate? What time where you and Maples yesterday as I was there getting my staples out? Probably seen you and didn't even know it!! My appointment was for 3 pm and I had both my girls with me, one teenager and one toddler.

Hi Zoltrix - I was at Maples by 3:30pm on July 8th - I don't remember seeing anyone with children, but it didn't take long for me to see the surgeons, so maybe you had already left. How are you doing now? What kinds of foods are you eating at the moment? Keep us posted!

Lmbmkm - sorry to hear about your surgery date being pushed back - we might see each other on the 5th though - my name is Tracey by the way, I usually don't go by Slinkymalinky on a daily basis:smile: Hope to see you there!

Hi Tracey, I'm Linda. I start my Optifast on the 22nd...and Jen told me she giving me all chocolate...YAH!! Do you have an appointment time for your sugery?

Zoltrix--How are you feeling??

I'm doing ok but still have a bad cough. Talked to Jen on Friday as I was worried about the coughing. She just said to try and hold my stomach and if I get any unusual pain to page one of the doctors. I am getting worried because I don't really feel restricted anymore. I have tried solid foods and have had no restrictions. My first fill is not until Aug.1.

Hi there,

I started a new group on yahoo called Manitobalapbanders.

This group is meant to give members a forum to have questions and concerns addressed, give support when needed and meet new people with a common goal, weight loss via the LAP-BAND.

I know there are alot of forums for the Lap Band but I wanted to start a group that was more specific Manitobans, to all patients that were banded at the same location and treated by the same doctors.

So if you are interested in joining here is the link:

manitobalapbanders : Manitoba Lapbanders

See you all there :biggrin:

zoltrix I wonder if you should be seeing your doctor for tests concerning your lungs for either asthama, infection, whatever. The cough may not have anything to do with banding surgery and is only coincidental.

I am particular about coughs because I was diagnosed with TB when I was 11 years of age, caught from a family that did not follow up on one of the children's coughs. I also had asthmas for a long time before being tested only to find I have asthma. The other is a viral cough. Best to check your cough out with someone that is expert in lungs.

Hi Doddie,

Yes, I am seeing my doctor on Wed. Thanks for the concern. Last night was a little bit better, but as soon as I woke up it started again.

I don't think the cough is related to the surgery at all. I haven't had a cold or cough for a year, of course it had to come now.

Great idea to start a MB lapbanders group! I think we should keep a thread going on here too - that way we may find people from Manitoba who aren't aware there's a Yahoo group yet.

Hope you'll feel better soon Zoltrix - coughing can't be much fun after surgery.

Hi Linda - can't believe Jen is giving you all chocolate shakes, you lucky girl! I'm starting Optifast on the 22nd too. I'm sure we'll run into each other the day of surgery. Keep in touch!

it'll be nice to run into you slinky.....

And Zoltrix-take care of yourself

Edited by lmbmkm

Hello...

I've been out of the loop for a little while, but wanted to let you know I did well with the Optifast especially with the horrible vanilla flavoured ones. The vanilla was by far the hardest part of the 2 weeks, but I did it!! I even had a family wedding and was able to pull it off with no questions asked!

I had my surgery 2 days ago on July 22 and everything is going great so far. I'm a little sore but I'm very happy with the progress I have made so far! I will be joining the Yahoo group shortly! :smile2:

Hi, I'm new. I have been just looking around for different places for the lapband surgery. The one that is closest to me is in Winnipeg. Maples seems to have a good reputation, but I am wondering about the cost. I will be phoning soon to find out. I know that Manitoba will pay for the hospital costs outside of province, but not the tubing itself. I think it's kind of stupid that they won't conver the cost at any private clinic that provides the service. I feel that the lapband is the way to go, but it's not available in hospital. They are willing to pay for gas, etc. to go to a different province, but won't pay for a private clinic within the province. I guess it just doesn't make sense to me. Let me know if I have this wrong. How do you guys feel about this.:cry_smile:

Hi Johnny,

I really can't say much about being from out of province, because I live in Winnipeg. All I know is that I was 100% self pay, and at Maples the grand total is $18,375.00 Very expensive I know, but half the price of a new car, so definitely worth it. Maples is an excellent facility, and the two surgeons, Dr. Bracken and Dr. Andrew are extremely competent. I had my surgery yesterday and couldn't have asked for a better or more caring experience. Whereabouts do you live? The only reason I'm asking is that the cost includes all your fills for the first year, so if you are a long way away you might have to find a fill doctor closer to you.

Anyway, good luck and keep in touch!

Hello My name is Janet

I am on Optifast now It is going okay I haven't been cheating and not really hungry. My surgery is booked for Oct 14th. Looking forward to it but scared at the same time. I am a nurse and work on MaternitySurgical floor so have have some idea about surgery. Only met one of the doctors and he was very nice. The clinic is very helpful with any questions.

Wish me luck and will keep you posted.