Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering banding in Manitoba

Hi everyone,

I'm seriously considering getting a lap band at Maples Surgical Centre in Winnipeg. Right now I'm in the information gathering stage, and have an initial consultation the first week of July. It's very overwhelming reading all these posts as everyone seems to have had different experiences since being banded. Has anyone know anything or had any experience with Maples in Winnipeg?

Thanks!:smile2:

Hi there !! :redface:

I'm sorry that I don't actually know anything about The Maples, however I was just going to post that I had seen their website and that I hoped someone in Winnipeg would check it out and give us a comment on it.

They are affiliated with the False Creek Surgery Center (which still does not do banding) in Vancouver. And from what I've read FCSC is very reputable and has a really good reputation. I'm starting to look at (dream about :lol:) some plastic surgery and FCSC is one of the places high on my list.

Good luck with your consult and please let us know how it goes and what you think of the facilities.

Patricia

11/16/06

Hi there!

That's good to know that False Creek is so reputable - I knew the two were affiliated, but wasn't sure what their reputation was out there. I have an intial consult in a couple of weeks, but because banding is very new here, I can probably go for surgery within a month or so after that providing everything goes OK. I will keep you posted!

Hello,

I am also considering the Lap Band surgery at Maples Surgical Centre in Winnipeg. I also have an appointment at the begining of July as well to discuss the procedure, and as you say if everything goes well it can be done shortly after the initial meeting with the surgeons. I do have some concerns because it is so new in Winnipeg but I was told my the centre that the 2 Dr's (Dr. Andrew and Dr. Bracken) have had all their training by Mr. Miller in TO and he has done 1000's. These 2 Dr's seem to be very reputable, so thats comforting. I am excited to meet with them and nervous at the same time, but I think once I meet with these surgeons I will have all a better overview of what to expect and that will put my mind at ease a little... :-) I will keep you posted!

On canadianlapbanders.com there are a number of posts from Manitobans. This site is Canadian lapbanders mostly from the SWL or the TLBC, but Manitobans are now using it. You may also want to check that out. They are now starting up a support group which will be very helpful to you.

Hi everyone,

I was banded on June 24th at Maple Surgical Centre, still recovering. I would have been feeling much better but came down with a terrible cold on Sunday. It hurts alot when I cough.

They were very helpful at the centre and the nurse will also call you a few days later to make sure everything is going ok and to see if you have any questions. I will be going for a follow up appointment on July 8th.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

hi zoltrix. Congratulations and am very happy you are doing ok. The cold is a real downer though. If it is any consulation, I was told after the surgery to get up every hour and cough for whatever medical reason I don't know. Guess your cold is ensuring you are coughing if you can see any humour in this irony. Take care and keep posting how you are doing.

Hi Doddie,

Thanks, I hadn't heard about the coughing but if it helps that good because I've done my share of coughing in the last couple of days.

Zoltrix. Really great to hear the clinic is turning out so well and are giving you support you need. The band is wonderful, but for the first number of months, I felt every thing and worried. A lady on Canadianlapbanders let me verbalize my worries on private e mails. She has gone thru a lot with the band including a leaking band and had to have it replaced to having a baby with the band. If you have any worries post, and someone will help you but of course the best course of action is to call your clinic no matter how small an issue.

They do however need to create a support group. I have a follow up appointment on July 8th and that is one of the issues that I will bring up. Hopefully with the help of others they will get something going. They were however able to answer my questions when I called or find someone else who would call me back.

Hi Zoltrix! Its great to hear your doing better and trying to get over your cold. I am getting banded on July 22 at Maples and can't wait!! I agree, I think a support group would be beneficial for everyone here thats is thinking about it, or has had it done. I start my Optifast on Tuesday so hopefully it all goes well! Keep us posted on your progress as the weeks go by...I'd love to know how your feeling and how things are going overall!

Hi Simba, you should do ok on the Optifast, some days are harder than others but I got through it. It was especially hard for me in the evening so I would sip on coffee with a little bit of skim milk.

I'm still a little bit under the weather but it is mostly because of my cold. Since my surgery I haven't been hungry or very interested in eating except for yesterday I was so hungry. I know I shouldn't have but a had a few crackers and chewed them very well. Keep in touch and let me know how the Optifast is going once started. I didn't care too much for the vanilla so I would have 2 chocolate and 1 Vanilla a day.

Talk to you soon.

Hello all, I have my surgery date at the Maples on July 22nd. I start my liquid diet on tuesday!

I have met with the doctors and they are all so nice and uplifting.

Had my follow up appointment today and staples removed. AHHHH does that feel better. Everything healed up nicely. I was ready to pull them out myself. It pinched a little to have them removed but it was done quickly. My next appointment will be in 4 weeks for a fill. So far I am still losing, I find that some days I am hungrier then others but manage to make it through the day.

How is the first day of Optifast going?

Hi Everyone,

Had my consultation today (July 8th) at Maples, and have my surgery scheduled for August 5th! Yay - I'm so excited!!! 2 more weeks of regular food and then I start the Optifast for two weeks...I despise vanilla so that should be interesting :(

Glad to hear you're doing so well Zoltrix. Not long and you'll be on real foods again. Keep us posted as to how you're doing!