Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many have lost 200 pounds...

Wow, I'm also really glad I found this place. You're all incredibly inspiring! I'm hoping to get banded in the next few months, and I think I have about the same amount as Cass to lose. To be honest, I haven't weighed myself this year(little scared!) so I'm estimating.

It's good to know what's actually possible. Ideally, I'd like to lose a sizable portion of weight in time for going off to live in the dorm at college in Fall 09.

I am thrilled to have found this forum. I have over 200 lbs to lose and it is difficult to think of that big number. Ick! I have to lose the equivalent of a welter-weight boxer.

Anyway - good luck to all of us on our journeys !

Well, I am gettin' banded august 8 and have at least 200 pounds to lose and I am inspired by the stories here and look forward to becoming an inspiration to those who come after.

Edited by rhondalou
spelling error

I started at needing to lose 249... I started at 419 pounds and I am on a 6 month diet for insurance. I just finished month 3 and at that weigh in (July 21st) I was down to 398.5. My goal is 170 lbs and now I need to lose 228.5. Though I would like to get down to 150. We will see what happens. I'm supposed to get banded in November.

Hi all,

I had my banding done on July 16, as scheduled. I lost 10 pounds in the two weeks prior to surgery on a 1000-calorie-a-day regimen. At first I lost a lot of weight quickly post-op (about 18 pounds in the first month) but in the last 24 days I've lost only four pounds. That may sound impressive but, in fact, that's on an average of only 900 calories a day. According to the mayo Clinic calculator, at my current weight, age, and sedentary lifestyle I should be consuming 2000 calories a day to sustain my current weight, and therefore should be losing about 2.2 pounds a week ((2000-900) X 7 ./. 3500), so how come I'm losing an average of only 1.16 pounds per week?

I know our bodies are genetically programmed to go into "starvation mode" when the number of calories we consume is restricted. Has anyone got experience with this phenomenon and does anyone know how to counteract it?

I assume exercise will help. Is there anything else that can help with this?

I would try exercise for sure, it helps rev up your metabolism to burn more calories and increase your resting metabolic rate so you burn more even if you're just sitting down (the added muscle will help with that too). Plus, in the past (I haven't been banded yet, FYI) I found that the amount of weight I lost was directly proportional to the amount of Water I drank. The more Water I drank - the more the pounds flew off. If only I had been able to keep losing, but I look forward to getting banded and having a tool to help me get the weight off and keep it off!

Good luck and congrats on your success thus far! :thumbdown:

Thanks, Kellster. My sister, who was banded two years ago, also said I should drink more. I've averaged about three cups a day of liquid, not counting the milk with my Cereal or the fluids that occur naturally in foods like fruit or vegetables.

I've found it hard to drink just Water because I'm seldom thirsty but adding Crystal Light has helped, so I'm going to drink more of that. I'm also going to try to drink a cup of coffee once every few days, which I've avoid before this because I've read we should avoid caffeine. I'll see if that helps with my Fluid intake.

Here is my take....and I am just another person banded.....surely not an expert on anything related to health or I wouldn't have put myself in this here shape I seemed to have let myself get to....but....

I would incorporate some light exercise at first....nothing strenuous...just light things like walking and maybe leg lifts on the floor while watching your favorite television show - that makes the time go faster for me - I would also drink more clear liquid....I am trying to drink two gallon a day to keep metabolism up.

Lastly, this is big for me.....it might not be something others agree with and everyone is different....but I only weigh at the doctors office during my monthly checkup. I do what I do during the month and have changed my lifestyle as part of the banded community. For me, it would drive me crazy if I weighed weekly or daily....I would be so obsessed with what the scale said. I want to go by what my body tells me...not so much what the scale says.......if I pay attention to the first - the second will come on its own.

That may seem weird........but it is what it is and it is working at this point. We will see from there.

dab

Thanks, Dab. My husband has been bugging me to weigh myself only once a week too. I'll do that when things seem to be going along smoothly. I feel I'm still in the post-op condition where I'm checking out how things are settling down. I've tried most foods out now but still have to try Pasta and get into a normal regimen before I feel I can trust weekly weighings.I'm trying to increase my Fluid intake - not easy when I don't feel thirsty.I'm going to start deep Water Aquafit tomorrow. I used to do it a few years ago and I'm going to go back to it. It's not too strenuous for me. I'd also like to take some dancing classes, as I love to dance but haven't done it for many years.Thanks for your support.

ok Today im am at 253...i am just 13lbs away from losing 200lbs. Sept 6th will be 13 months for me since being banded at 440LBS. Just wanted to encourage you all.

hi all,

glad to see that everyone has started back posting. and to who'syadaddy thank for the inspiration. i to have alot of weight to lose. how ever i have been reading around on here and no one has said any thing about this.

i hate Water what else can i drink? i have tried the aqufina flavored water it ok but, costly. i have not been banded either. started keeping a food journal this month and trying to cut down and doing the chew thing but, its hard to hold the food in your mouth for 20 chews. but im gonna keep trying till i get it right.

China;

I never drank coffee hardly at all until after I was banded. Now I drink too much...probably a pot a day.

I used to drink 8 plus Diet Coke's a day...but have quit that totally. I am not the biggest fan of Water either, but try to drink a few glasses per day. I also drink Lipton Green Tea...it is pretty good and isn't super expensive.

My wife bought me some of the new Gatorade stuff that is only 25 calories per bottle....it is alright - but I don't like paying that price for something to drink.

There are a few options. Also, I use the sugar free single flavoring packs sometimes. Take a water bottle, take a small drink out of it and pour this powder in...put the cap on and shake it up.....you are good to go.

Just a few options that might help you.

Have a great week

dab

Hi all,

I had my banding done on July 16, as scheduled. I lost 10 pounds in the two weeks prior to surgery on a 1000-calorie-a-day regimen. At first I lost a lot of weight quickly post-op (about 18 pounds in the first month) but in the last 24 days I've lost only four pounds. That may sound impressive but, in fact, that's on an average of only 900 calories a day. According to the mayo Clinic calculator, at my current weight, age, and sedentary lifestyle I should be consuming 2000 calories a day to sustain my current weight, and therefore should be losing about 2.2 pounds a week ((2000-900) X 7 ./. 3500), so how come I'm losing an average of only 1.16 pounds per week?

I know our bodies are genetically programmed to go into "starvation mode" when the number of calories we consume is restricted. Has anyone got experience with this phenomenon and does anyone know how to counteract it?

I found a DVD "weigh to win" it has 3 levels of exercise, the first level all exercises ar done sitting in a chair. And you do sweat, so if mobility is an issue right now, perhaps you might like to check this out? Good luck!:lovechoc:

hey dab,

i like gaterade. i just found out that slenda has flavored sugar. plus i heard that if you us crystal lite that counts as Water.