Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm super excited about getting Lab Band Surgery but....

Hi, I'm super excited about getting Lab Band Surgery...but, I'm alittle worried about feeling it inside me. Does it hurt to lay on it? How bad are the scars afterwards?

I figure the cost of my health is more important than scars or pain afterwards, I mean yes afterwards for like amonth or so it's gonna be sore on my stomach and as someone who usually sleeps on there stomach it'll be hard but I'm more excited overall than anything

The scars aren't too bad, the one for the port is the biggest at about one inch (mine is right above my belly button.) I also have two very tiny ones on the left side of my abdomen one tiny on on the right side and one below my breasts (at the bra line). I figure if I have to choose between 5 tiny scars on my abdomen and all that fat, I'll take the scars! You can't feel the lap band inside you. During healing there is pain at the port site. I can't sleep flat on my back and it hurt to sleep on my side or stomach so I slept propped up on the sofa. I tried propping myself up in bed but I would roll over in my sleep and wake up in pain. It took about two weeks before I was able to go to bed and sleep on my stomach. I am still healing but for me it has already been worth it!

Edited by Jodi_620

U know It isn't that noticable once u have it for a while... As your tummy goes down from weight loss u will know its there but its not like it pokes out or anything.. My mother had a port in her chest for chemo treatments and i remember asking her if it bothered her at all and she was like nope it's fine.. I would rather have this than them poking me trying to find a vein to get blood and such, i know our port only has saline Fluid in it, but a port is a port and it is doable....:P

I am hoping to be banded in early August but have a friend that has a band and her port doesn't stick out. Also her scars are getting smaller as her skin is shrinking. Who cares about the scars? I just want to be thinner and healthier and enjoy life!! Just think of them as battle scars, a battle you will win against FAT :P

I was banded in November of 07 and I feel my port (which is the most painful part of healing - not too unbearable though). You get so used to it that you forget it's there. Sometimes if your pants or jeans dig in you will feel that it's there and it reminds you, but not a painful feeling at all. I developed scar tissue around it so it's a little hard, but after the weight I've lost so far, it doesn't stick out. Also, my scars are healing pretty quickly. My bigger scar, where the port is, is starting to fade now, but the other smalls ones you can barely see anymore.

Thanks for all your answers! It's very helpful....I would much rather be healthy & thin again and have scars, but my stomach was always my best feature. Oh well I'll live!(:

Wow, your stomach is your best feature?! Wanna trade? LOL

The scars are really not bad, and some people I've seen in their after, a few years later you can barely see them.. they look like a freckle or something. I had revision surgery and they cut open an existing port scar, so it looks kinda ooky, but I don't care!!! I am 110lb lighter and that's a small sacrafice, right?

I don't know if I ever worried about the scars.. maybe a little bit, but I was more concerned about not being fat!

Guest Leslie2Lose

I'd rather have scars than fat. There are some posts on here with pictures of the scars - you can do a search for them. Maybe that'll help you some. I too had a revision on my port (it flipped) and my scar is healing now and looks kinda weird. I'm hoping over time it'll look better. It is in my left chest/breast area, but you can't see it even if I am wearing a bra or swimsuit. Scars are no biggie.

After reading some of the feedback, I noticed folks have ports in different parts of their body. Do the doctors let you pick where you want it and if so what area do you think would be the best for the port? I assume you wouldn't want it to be in a spot that would get rubbed by a waist band or under wire bra. Any good advice?

:rolleyes2:

After reading some of the feedback, I noticed folks have ports in different parts of their body. Do the doctors let you pick where you want it and if so what area do you think would be the best for the port? I assume you wouldn't want it to be in a spot that would get rubbed by a waist band or under wire bra. Any good advice?

:rolleyes2:

Lol. You don't get to choose where the port is put. Most surgeons have a place where they put all of them and that's the way it usually stays. You will not be picking where the port is put - the surgeon does

I too am excited about my surgery. But, I'm a bit confused- I'm getting the REALIZE band it's done out patient, my surgeon says the scars are minimal. As I read it seems to me that some of your surgeries have been more complicated???

I too am excited about my surgery. But, I'm a bit confused- I'm getting the REALIZE band it's done out patient, my surgeon says the scars are minimal. As I read it seems to me that some of your surgeries have been more complicated???

prefectforme,

The scars are minimal but not non-existant. The smaller inscisions (4 or 5) may be almost invisible. The larger port incision may leave a more noticible scar.

To all,

Here is a link to a thread on scars with some photos.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f17/scar-stages-share-yours-6117/