Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I haven't found the answers for a few questions....

Guest WieghingOptions

Guest WieghingOptions

Hi, I have been doing all of my homework and research but don't know where to find the answer to this one...

Can anyone explain to me (or point me in the right direction) the difference in the types of bands? I have seen references to Swedish or 9mm or 11 mm or?????

I found one site that said there are four types of adjustable band used and it is important to understand which band will be used but that site didn't even name the four or give the differences. I haven't been able to find this info. What makes them different? Do they work differently based on shape or ???

Thanks.

Hi there,

All of the adjustable bands are designed to work the same way. The only real differences are the lengths and fill capacities, as far as I know.

The type of band you get depends on a couple of factors. If you're banded in the U.S., you will get one of the Inamed bands--the only ones approved for use by the FDA. Inamed has, I think, two sizes of band, one that holds 4 ccs of Fluid and one that holds up to 10 ccs of Fluid (known as the VG band). The length of the smaller band is either 9.75 cm or 10 cm: I don't know if that's two different sizes or two ways of referring to the same thing (since 1/4 of a centimeter isn't very much). The VG band isn't referred to by length, since it has a name.

The Swedish or MIDbands are made by other manufacturers and are only used in other countries. If you're here in the US your choices are limited by the FDA and then by your doctor, who will decide which size of Inamed band your body needs.

Hope that helps!

I have also heard of a midband but am not sure if that is the same thing as a swedish band or not. It is actually placed further down on the stomach rather than towards the top. Once again ONLY inamed bands are placed and filled in the U.S. If you get surgery in Mexico, it is by far easier getting fills for the inamed bands in the U.S. than the other types. Alex is correct about the two sizes of Inamed bands. Mine is a 9.75 and holds 4 cc's of Fluid. The other inamed band is much newer (just came out last spring) and holds 10 cc's of fluid. I have heard people get frustrated because it takes more fills to get restriction with the larger band but I've also heard stories about people having to get a second surgery because the smaller one is too tight when placed. Best of luck, Teresa

Yeah, I got a 9cc midband which I chose after weeks of research, and hours in a room playing with 4 types of bands. I picked at all of them, and felt the midband was the way for me to go. Since I dont have to worry about fills since there is a doctor who will fill it, and Im 2 hours away from Mexico.

From what the doctors were saying,is that they determine the actual size on the band by how much you need to lose, how thick your stomach is, and many other different things. Some band sizes just arent right for everyone.

I knew going in, I didnt want the sweedish band. I also heard of alot of slippage and erosion problems with the inamed band because of the thickness of it, and how little give it has. Playing with it, I noticed the port slips off of the tube rather easily, as the midband can also slip off the end, it has a bar which locks it into place. The johnson band was sort of a hybrid looking band..didnt really like it. I liked how the midband was soft yet durable. The inamed was probably however the most durable feeling one..but it was ALOT harder. Of course, the midband is also newer, so there is less documentation. However, my partner had a midband, and shes done great with it.

anyway, just do some reasearch. I don't think there really is much info out there on which is better or whatnot. If there was, I wasnt able to find much besides personal opinions.