Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I took my first family vacation since having my lapband surgery 8/07. Everything was great except that I felt like a huge burden when it came time to eat. We went to several amusement parks and even the 7 hours of traveling time was a hassle. Don't get me wrong my family are great supporters but when you are traveling and vacationing and you constantly hear I can't eat there or I can't eat that. No one actually complained but I could tell that it was a definate sore spot. Any body have any ideas for the next vacation? I have come too far to give in to just eating junk even on vacation!!!

It is normal to eat one in a while some high-fat or high-sugar foods but you want to be able to have it when you really feel like it, rather than just because it's there.

So keep a soft bag cooler with you or in the car -

Freeze a pre-mix Protein Shake like from EAS

Energy or Protein bar

Turkey sliced cold cuts

Pre-sealed or canned tuna

1 small baked potato from Wendy's

Half an apple with 2 teaspoons of Peanut Butter

10 cashew nuts

10 almonds

4 mini rice cakes with 2 tablespoons low-fat cottage cheese

3 ounces low-fat cottage cheese and 3 whole-wheat crackers

1/4 cup fat-free ranch dressing with mixed raw veggies

6 Wheat Thins crackers with two teaspoons of peanut butter (or any nut butter)

Lisa:

Your ideas for vacationing are great. I have not had my banding yet. I am on a pre-op diet to lose 20 lbs. I hope to do that in the next 6 weeks or less, but I am scheduled to go on a cruise at the end of Sep, so I will ask them to schedule the surgery after my trip. I had hoped I could have the surgery weeks before and be finished with the liquid and mushies before I travel.

Wish me luck, I need this surgery and love to travel, so this will help me feel more comfortable whenever I go. I also need it for my health.

Edited by TravelLady48

Hi Anne the Travel Lady!

I love cruising too and actually just got back from one. I, too, hoped that I could get banded well before my trip...but that didn't happen. Still waiting on insurance at this point.

One thing I found this time was that the portions were very small in comparison to past cruises. My thoughts were that it would definitely make someone feel less "guilty" about wasting food while traveling. Also, the dining room had "spa" options. One of my favorite meals was grilled fish and grilled veggies! I purchased an insulated mug first thing and carried cold Water with me wherever I went (you could pack your own).

Because I was hot most of the time, I wasn't as hungry this time as when I was on past cruises. The heat kind of takes it out of you. :)

~~anne (the other travel lady!)

Hi Anne:

Thanks for your ideas, I always forget about the "spa" meals, they are usually pretty good and will be a great alternative. And I definitely take my own insulated cup for Water.

Still no date set for my surgery.

Anne

Along those same lines, you can purchase a water bottle that has it's own filter in it so you can always get Water wherever you are. It's also great for the airports because you can bring it through security empty, go to a fast food place, and ask for a cup of ice and some tap water.