Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who's the man Obama or MCcain?

Gloucester your statements above are so perfect... I want to be able to express myself like that when I grow up:rolleyes:

Bah! I'm not grown up!! She's 11 years old now, and I still don't know how to answer that question. :rolleyes2: At the time she asked, though, I opened my mouth to answer and "Holy crap!" came out.

I am pretty cynical, and I'm working on it. I really WANT to be more open minded and believing, but I have a hard time digesting the media.

Bah! I'm not grown up!! She's 11 years old now, and I still don't know how to answer that question. :rolleyes2: At the time she asked, though, I opened my mouth to answer and "Holy crap!" came out.

I am pretty cynical, and I'm working on it. I really WANT to be more open minded and believing, but I have a hard time digesting the media.

Well, what came out of your mouth was right on! your daughter is a lucky girl!

DOn't blame you for being cynical, I'm too often, I used to be more believing...

Bah! I'm not grown up!! She's 11 years old now, and I still don't know how to answer that question. :biggrin: At the time she asked, though, I opened my mouth to answer and "Holy crap!" came out.

I completely understand where you are coming from. The news and media has been cancelled. That is the major factor on why I spend so much time pulling bits and pieces of information from so many different sources. In all that, you are bound to find some morsels of truth. I typically look for any non-partisan statements and completely ignore anything flaming that seems to follow (with the exception of a few...). However, if we love our Great Nation as we say we do, it is our duty.

Choosing who is going to lead the greatest country on Earth should never be taken lightly - so I commend you.

Edited by LilMissDiva

Truth as I see it is very personal. My truth is what is true for me. The country's truth is what is true for me. Whether a man is going to make a good president depends upon whether I believe the things he says are true, for me. Everything in my life relates to me and my viewpoints revolve around what is good for me.

I do care about others and I do care about the world and my country, but I cannot help but be influenced by how it all affects me.

I am involved in charities and I give back to the community, but if I say that I am just doing it only for others, I'd be lying. For the most part, I do good deeds because of the way it makes me feel about myself. I have donated anonymously and have given gifts anonymously but the reason I do it anonmyously is because it makes me feel unselfish so again, it boils down to me.

Am I different that everyone else? I don't think so. I do think I try very hard to be honest with myself - about my motives, about my goals, about my citizenship in the world. As long as I understand this, it helps me to not be as self-centered as I could be. That sounds like a contridiction, but that's the way it works for me.

I love doing things for my children. I love the feeling of patriotism and the love of other Americans. Those things make me feel good about them, and me.

Truth is whatever we make it. Many politicians do want to work to improve this country and for the betterment of all of our people. Some politicians are greedy, pure and simple, laced with very few altruistic endeavors. It is very hard to distinguish one type of person from the other. All we can do is measure their words and deeds as best we can based on our own experience and knowledge. We can be fooled. We have been fooled. All we can do is hope that our public servants understand their own motives and are at least a little truthful about them.

Sista, preach!!

NOBAMA!!

Go McCain!!

And yes, I am educated. I am a woman. I have met John McCain and he has the experience we need now!:thumbs_up:

NOBAMA!!

Go McCain!!

And yes, I am educated. I am a woman. I have met John McCain and he has the experience we need now!:lol:

Agreed! Oh lucky you! you met John McCain! I met Giulliani once...:) and a while ago hubby and I were having lunch at RL in Chicago and Michelle Obama was having lunch there with who seemed to be her friends, of course I don't care for her, so that meant nothing to me... she left while we were still eating and she had an entourage and body guards with her and some people were calling her name trying to get her attention and even saying " Michelle we support Obama!", blah, blah... and she didn't turn for a second or responded, nothing...can we say snobbish? :tt2: who knows... I really don't care...:)

Edited by ELENATION

I sure can't argue with the fact that McCain is experienced. I don't think that he will make a good president, but I can't fault his life experiences. I honestly think he is too old and a little too out of shape to handle the job. I'm not really guessing about that. I know how much things deteriorate as we get over 55. Let's all remember the last few years of Reagan's final term and give McCain's age some serious consideration.

Another for instance... my good neighbor was a fighter pilot for the Navy. Yes, he did tours in 'nam and as a career, it doesn't get much more strenuous than being a Navy fighter pilot. He's now 71 and he is very involved in an organization for retired military pilots. In fact, he holds one of the highest offices and he travels frequently for various meetings/conferences, etc.

He tells me how hard it is these days to get it all done. He loves his duties in the organization but he feels he needs to step down and allow someone who is more energetic do his job. And here's a guy who still edges his lawn because he doesn't like the way his lawn guys do it. In a really high wind the other day, a section of our heavy cedar fence was blown down into the alley after being hit by flying patio furniture. He single-handedly (after delivering meals on wheels) pulled that huge, very heavy section of fence out of the ally and into our driveway. So yeah, he's still in good shape and he's still active mentally, but he'll be the first to tell you that he is not as quick thinking and fast on his feet as he used to be. Btw, his kids are in their 50's.

"I honestly think he is too old and a little too out of shape to handle the job. I'm not really guessing about that. I know how much things deteriorate as we get over 55. Let's all remember the last few years of Reagan's final term and give McCain's age some serious consideration."

Oh no!, this was a stab in the heart BJ.. it hurt...:)

I happen to believe that McCain is smarter and more relevant than most "twenty-somethings" could ever hope to be. Belittling John McCain because of his age is an insult to all older americans and I don't think anyone could get away with doing the same thing to Hillary because she is a woman or Obama because of his race. It's a sad statement when you look at how older people in other cultures are revered and looked up to for wisdom because they have seen and endured more than their children and grandchildren. Please know that I'm not suggesting that you belittle older people, I know that's your opinion on McCain only, plus I know you didn't mean it in a hurtful way,but I just had to say this. I had to vent!:) ,discrimination takes many forms..

For the record, I'm 45:wink:....

About Ronny.... I remember when Reagan was asked about age as a campaign issue when he was going for his second term and he said “I am not going to exploit for political purposes my opponent’s youth and inexperience.” I think the man was a genious and had such a sharp and great sense of humor, in fact his retort ended speculation about whether he should be seeking his second term because he was "too old" to bear the responsibilities of the White House. He won reelection in a landslide. :lol:

Edited by ELENATION

Sorry, elenation. You're right, it's a serious problem because it's not something that McCain can do a thing about. And I am sorry if you think I am being discriminatory. I know you're not supposed to ask someone how old they are when you interview them for a job.

However if you were hiring someone to work for you and the job carried huge responsibility and the job put your employee in charge of lots of money and the job was physically stressful because of travel, personal appearances, etc., and the employee needed to carry a gun at all times and always use good judgement before pulling that gun out, and you wanted someone for a minimum of four years, would you honestly choose a 70+ year old, who has had cancer and still has problems from lets say a car accident, over a 45-ish person who is extremely intelligent and had lots of creative new ideas, is extremely cautious before whipping out his gun and threatening someone and on top of all that is also physically fit?

Well I guess anyone might if they knew for sure that they agreed with the elder candidate's proposed plan of action for their company and disagreed with the younger person's new ideas. That's the real rub, isn't it?

I am well on in years myself just in case you think I am too young to appreciate what someone with advanced years can offer. I happen to know first hand (although I am not in my 70's) that there are a lot of changes that most people have to deal with when they are over 55. And besides, some of my best friends are brilliant senior citizens.

I am sorry I'm the one to toss it into the discussion, but I do believe that it is a relevant consideration.

Btw, I wasn't talking about the period of time that Reagan took office the first time or even early in his 2nd term. I was talking about the last couple of years that the was in office and obviously had Alzheimers. That affected the man's abilities, there's no question about it.

Which brings up a little pet peeve of mine: the Republicans have spent a lot of time spinning PR about how great Reagan was and they drop his name when they want to impress people what a great job the Republicans did when he was in office. I would probably buy it if I didn't have such a good memory and if I could put out of my mind the 200 or so people around him who were indicted and/or convicted of criminal behavior while working for him.

Definitely McCain!

ebrow, you're 19 and you're gonna vote? Good for you!! And you know the candidates and feel good about casting a vote for the right man for you. I am very impressed.

I voted as soon as I was able, but I had a politician in the family and he probably would have disowned us if we had acted like voting didn't matter.

Sorry, elenation. You're right, it's a serious problem because it's not something that McCain can do a thing about. And I am sorry if you think I am being discriminatory. I know you're not supposed to ask someone how old they are when you interview them for a job.

However if you were hiring someone to work for you and the job carried huge responsibility and the job put your employee in charge of lots of money and the job was physically stressful because of travel, personal appearances, etc., and the employee needed to carry a gun at all times and always use good judgement before pulling that gun out, and you wanted someone for a minimum of four years, would you honestly choose a 70+ year old, who has had cancer and still has problems from lets say a car accident, over a 45-ish person who is extremely intelligent and had lots of creative new ideas, is extremely cautious before whipping out his gun and threatening someone and on top of all that is also physically fit?

Well I guess anyone might if they knew for sure that they agreed with the elder candidate's proposed plan of action for their company and disagreed with the younger person's new ideas. That's the real rub, isn't it?

I am well on in years myself just in case you think I am too young to appreciate what someone with advanced years can offer. I happen to know first hand (although I am not in my 70's) that there are a lot of changes that most people have to deal with when they are over 55. And besides, some of my best friends are brilliant senior citizens.

I am sorry I'm the one to toss it into the discussion, but I do believe that it is a relevant consideration.

Btw, I wasn't talking about the period of time that Reagan took office the first time or even early in his 2nd term. I was talking about the last couple of years that the was in office and obviously had Alzheimers. That affected the man's abilities, there's no question about it.

Which brings up a little pet peeve of mine: the Republicans have spent a lot of time spinning PR about how great Reagan was and they drop his name when they want to impress people what a great job the Republicans did when he was in office. I would probably buy it if I didn't have such a good memory and if I could put out of my mind the 200 or so people around him who were indicted and/or convicted of criminal behavior while working for him.

Oh Lordie, where do I begin BJ....

Firstly, I don't think you are being discriminatory, that's why I specified that I knew you didn't mean to offend/hurt anyone by what you said, I understand that it's just a concern of yours, I think I know you enough to know that you are not discriminatory, but like I said, I just felt like I had to say what I said in my previous post, not because of you at all.

There was no evidence by any medical criteria that is known to the medical profession that Ronald Regan had any symptoms or signs of Alzheimer’s when he was President and that was said by several doctors, but let's pretend that he did find out while in office, well ,early onset Alzheimer's has been known to develop between ages 30 and 40, but I know it's rare, it is more common to see someone in their 50s who has the disease, and most Presidents and presidencial candidates are within that age range and it could happen to any of them. Should we not elect anyone within than age range?

Regarding wnat you said.. "would you honestly choose a 70+ year old, who has had cancer and still has problems from lets say a car accident, over a 45-ish person who is extremely intelligent and had lots of creative new ideas, is extremely cautious before whipping out his gun and threatening someone and on top of all that is also physically fit?"

Well,in my humble opinion the age is not a factor, if a 70 year old person who has had cancer and/or had a car accident is healthy now mentally and physically, that is all that counts for me as far as considering him/her to be the President of the US or a presidential candidate, (McCain provided a clean health report btw...) and it would make absolutely no difference in the way I vote if the other presidential candidate is 45 or fit or has not had an accident or cancer in the past, it's their present mental and physical state that counts for me, about being extremelly intelligent?, well, I think McCain is, Obama is intelligent as well, so that's irrelevant in this example.. I believe anyone at any age can get sick, terminal illnesses, sudden death, etc. Anyway, I believe both could do the job when it comes to the physical/health part of it, for me, taking the age into consideration is discriminatory, and I KNOW that is NOT how you meant it, but if I said it myself, I would feel "I" am being discriminatory, as much as I wouldn't like or agree with a democratic candidate, I couldn't bring myself to say that he/she is too old or has been sick before and therefore they should not be considered for the presidency, I suppose it's a matter of perception. I can say a lot of other things that I may despise about a democrat, but the age? nope..

It would be impossible for us to agree that R.Reagan was a great president, you are a die hard democrat and I'm a die hard republican, I think we've established that before...:biggrin2: not sure where you stand on the conservative/liberal issues, but President Reagan was able to articulate how ordinary peoples’ concerns were best addressed by applying conservative principles and I think that was a good thing, you know, some presidents are remembered for a sentence, like "He freed the slaves", "He made the Louisiana Purchase", well I think Ronald Reagan knew when he was going in the sentence he wanted to be remembered by, and he got it. He guided the american victory in the cold war. Under his leadership, a conflict that had lasted half-century was ended and the good guys won, this is just one of many Rony's accomplisments. He was not responsible for anyone working under him who decided to commit a crime if that was the case, and ultimately I'm not saying that he was a perfect man and the perfect president or that he never made a mistake, he was human after all, I'm just saying that he was a great president and admired by so many and from both parties.

Edited by ELENATION

ebrow, you're 19 and you're gonna vote? Good for you!! And you know the candidates and feel good about casting a vote for the right man for you. I am very impressed.

I voted as soon as I was able, but I had a politician in the family and he probably would have disowned us if we had acted like voting didn't matter.

Completely agree with BJ! I'm impressed Ebrow! good for you! the fact that you are voting for McCain is a bonus for me:wink:, but knowing that you are very young and voting is just great! I'm with BJ, I think my father would've disowned me if I didn't vote...even though he wasn't a politician...but he was a WWII veteran and so very proud of this country and grateful for having the right to vote... I've raised my kids the same way, they are 14 and 16 and they can't wait to vote!:)