Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

At my info session the three surgeons were going on and on about how their patients go home without pain medication - they say they don't have any pain when they go home.

They have patients stay in the hospital overnight for the band and 2 nights for bypass - could this by why?

I'm asking because I have been reading a lot of stories here and most people needing pain medication! I'm confident if I need it they will give it, but I'm curious as to why so many people here say the pain is bad and to be sure to fill your script on the way home - but this place I'm going says there isn't any pain involved after the first day??

Thanks in advance!

When I woke up the pain was bad and I had trouble breathing for the first few hours because I could not take a deep breath, but with the pain meds given in the hospital it was controlled.

When I got home after spending the night at the hospital I needed to take pain meds every 4 hours for the first 2 nights and then the 3rd night I slept pretty good taking the meds before bed and when I got up. I did sleep in my bed not in a chair like alot of other say they do.

First three days seemed to be the hardest but I would do it again in a heart beat if needed.

I have heard of people getting “pain balls”

(http://www.askyoursurgeon.com/onqcbloc.php) and going home with them, but my doctor said he stopped using those because he had a few people have reactions to the numbing stuff in them. The ball has tubes that run inside you to numb the area for up to 5 days.

Edited by TDPW4

I as well was told there was very little pain after surgery, so I expected to be fine. Not the case for me! I was in a terriffic amount of pain for 2 days. But after it passed, it was gone.

I think this totally is an individual experience. I think it depends on you pain level of tolerance. I did not personaly have any pain meds even in the hospital. But I handle pain extremely well. But people like my husband have little tolerance, he passes out when he has pain. He is not a baby about things its just his bodies way of handleing things. So do what feels right for you. You want to be comfortable not drugged out, because you will need to walk as soon as you can . I was up and walking within 10 minutes of them bringing me back from recovery. Good luck on your journey they will give you what you need. Just remember no matter how you feel the day of your surgery it will feel better the next day and even better the day after that.

Colleen

I was in pain, but I am a serious wimp...I used the pain medication for 3 days afterwards...the pain ball did absolutely nothing for me, but I think it was leaking. Ask for the medication as a precaution...use it if needed.

That was the first thing I had ready for me when I got home ..My prescription was filled and ready.. I took it for three days then started tapering off .. Why hurt and suffer when you don't have to .. You will totally know if you need to take the meds or not...

For me I was so glad to have them .

I had minimal pain although he did prescribe me a liquid medication for it. I think I moved to liquid Tylenol just a couple days after that. That should help.