Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, my name is Karen. I'm a 31 year old, happily married, mother of 2. I am scheduled to be banded on 7/30/08. I am so excited but starting to get nervous as it draws closer.

It's funny, I'm doing this because I'm a mother and need to take care of my health to be around for my children. Yet I fear that I may be that statistic and die, leaving my children...oh the irony!!!

I am very clear on the numbers but can't help but think in the back of my mind, "Imagine I didn't wake up?" After all the reassuring I've done; reassuring myself and my family who think there is a better way. Honestly, I've been overweight for 23 years now...if I could do it on my own, I would have! But then again, have I? I don't even know anymore!

Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :thumbs_up:

Karen,

I wish I had some words of encouragement...all I can say is you are not alone in your feelings. I am 46 and have a 4 year old. I am also doing this (in large part) for her. I am scheduled the 26th of June and I am so worried about something going wrong.

I am so worried that if something happens to me she will be alone (though my husband is a great father, I just don't want her to grow up without a mother)

I have been having "pressure" in my chest (not really pain) for months now...I am so afraid I am going to have a heart attack during surgery...or just not wake up. I am seeing my regualr doctor Friday for a medical clearance, I will mention it to her.

On the other hand...I am afraid she will not give me a medical clearance until I see a cardiologist (I saw one about 5 years ago after having a pulmonary embolism) and was told my heart was fine. So I am almost tempted not to tell her. But... being over 300 pounds for a long time...perhaps the chest tightness is inevitable?? Not to mention pre op jitters.

So, Karen, all I can see is the mortality risk for this surgery is quite low...and I am sure we will both be just fine...and here for our little ones for a long time to come :thumbs_up:)

julie

Hey there you mommas. I'm a momma too. Mine is 6.

I'm not skinny yet, but you know that reason, that cute little child/children that you want to see graduate from high school and college? The one you want to go and watch play soccer and ride the roller coaster rides with? The one you want to teach how to tie her shoes and ride a bike?

It's so much easier and fun and satisfying when you aren't obese. If you are scared of dying, congratulations, you are normal! But really the pros out weigh the cons. Life is really much better raising kids when you can participate in their lives rather than when you are sitting there resenting yourself because you can not.

So alay your fears, do what you've got to do to make yourself feel better, write them letters, get your wills in line...but don't let it stop you. Life is good on this side of 200.

XO

Juli

Kayleigh's Mommy,

Thank you for your kind words. I will be thinking of you. Please let me know how you are doing.

Edited by kedmo821

Keyleighs mom please tell your Dr. about the pressure in your chest before the surgery.. Don't risk anything without knowing you are fine .

The surgery is very low risk and the outcome is awesome ..

Keep us posted and I will be thinking of you both .

I am being banded tomorrow. I have two little ones and am also feeling a mixture of relief, excitment, anxiety and fear. I think it is normal, however, not easy! Congratulations on your decision, good luck with your banding!

Thanks Juli for your encouraging words.

Jenn

Kayleigh's Mommy,

Thank you for your kind words. I will be thinking of you. Please let me know how you are doing.

You're welcome. Please let me know how you are doing, too. Also... feel free to PM me if you would like to talk some more.

julie

Keyleighs mom please tell your Dr. about the pressure in your chest before the surgery.. Don't risk anything without knowing you are fine .

The surgery is very low risk and the outcome is awesome ..

Keep us posted and I will be thinking of you both .

Thanks for the advice. I am seeing my regular doc tomorrow. I will mention it to her.

julie

I am being banded tomorrow. I have two little ones and am also feeling a mixture of relief, excitment, anxiety and fear. I think it is normal, however, not easy! Congratulations on your decision, good luck with your banding!

Thanks Juli for your encouraging words.

Jenn

Dynamom,

Was your surgery today?? How are you doing???

julie

Surgery complete! It went well, My surgery was at 10:00, I was in the car to go home at 2:00. I was very groggy, and slept most of yesterday. I am breastfeeding, so I have decided to not take any pain medication (tylenol if it comes down to that), so far so good! A little sore, but certainly nothing like recovering from a c-section.

Thanks for checking in on me!

Jenn

ps I was talking with a women waiting to get a fill (she got compelety de-filled to go to Disney) - she lost 130 lbs in a year! With a 4 and 5 year old!