Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone get new insurance just for WLS?

My current policy has an exclusion that my employer won't get rid of... so I am thinking about getting a second, part-time job. Someone recommended a national chain where you can get benefits by only working part-time AND their plans don't have WLS exclusions.

I have to work there three to four months before the insurance kicks in, and then what do I do? Can I apply right away for WLS, or will an insurance company not approve someone new to the plan?

the coverage is with AETNA.

I know the insurance at my work which I don't have and at this rate probably won't even though it kicks in with permanent part time employment 20 hours a week for all 12 months, won't cover it for at least 12 to 18 months because it is a pre-existing condition.....yeah really??? I would say you would have to see the policy to know for sure. Do you know anyone who works there?

No, I don't know anyone who works there in my region.

I thought it was illegal to deny something based on pre-existing, if the person has had continuous insurance coverage?

don't know i know that aetna is a really good insurance to have for this surgery. As long as you haven't had your consult with the surgern it shouldn't be pre-existing. I did get second insurance cause my husbands employer also had it excluded. I pick up my insurance in nov. and had my surgery in jan.

Thanks Gill... when did you apply for the surgery? Did you have to cancel your first policy, or can you have two?

My current policy has an exclusion that my employer won't get rid of... so I am thinking about getting a second, part-time job. Someone recommended a national chain where you can get benefits by only working part-time AND their plans don't have WLS exclusions.

I have to work there three to four months before the insurance kicks in, and then what do I do? Can I apply right away for WLS, or will an insurance company not approve someone new to the plan?

the coverage is with AETNA.

I shopped for new insurance as soon as it was open enrollment with my husbands job. Our previous ins only covered 50%, which is good. But we couldn't afford that out of pocket. So now we have new ins that covers all of it except my office co-pay of $30 ea visit, $100 co-pay per surgeon, I have 2, $100 co-pay per night in hospital, & since they counted my EGD as a surgery I will have a $100 co-pay on that. So all in all I should have to pay $610.00 total. Plus someone in my life really blessed me & said if I would get a surgery date & go through with it that they would personaly pay $500 towards it!!!

God is good & has worked out all of the details for me ahead of time!!

I took my husbands insurance through his work just for the surgery. I will file in 2 weeks they made me do the 6 month thing. If I did not want the surgery I would have never took out the insurance because they charge an arm and leg :teeth_smile: But once I am approved it will be worth it!