Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disney World bound-what to eat there?

I wasn't banded when I went to DisneyWorld but I do know that everything is not just fries and burgers. They have many regular restraunts within all the parks and even in some of the quick variety places almost most of them have healthy alternatives. I know since I was banded that any kinds of Buns don't agree with me, so I take the grilled chicken and such off and cut it up with veggies or salad. If any small Snacks or like pop tarts do well that would be good to carry, but I think you will be fine have been there many times, food is really over the top. Have a good time. Don't stress the menu.

Shee:thumbup:

I am a Disney pro as we go there about 2-3 times/year!!!!! Check the forums at www.disboards.com to see if others have posted comments about this topic as well.

But...Disney will help out anyone with food "issues", allergies or special requests. If you are eating at a sit down resturant (in all parks or hotels) tell your server that you have dietary needs and they will prepare your foods for you as needed (no sauces, no oils, egg whites, etc...). Eating at the buffets or counter service meals will be a little tougher but most if not all of them have lower fat items such as grilled chicken sandwiches (skip the bun if needed), salads, apples, carrot sticks, milk or Water.

I suggest packing some Protein bars to eat too for Snacks so when you are at the park you don't get caught up in Mickey ice cream bars or popcorn! Also...the Kelloggs H2O protien poweder packs (like the crystal light packs) that you add to a bottle of Water is a great option as it gives water more flavor but unlike crystal light it gives you 5 grams of protien to help you feel a little full while you are getting hydrated!

A lot of the snack stand in the parks now have fresh fruit or veggie sticks as a snack option which is great for those that want a healthier option!

Good luck and make sure you post when you are back to fill us all in on your Disney food experience!

Edited by Jennifer S.

We went to WDW last year and I was surprised at how far they have come with healthy choices. I would plan a few meals and make reservations ahead of time so you can enjoy a few good sit down meals. You can find menu's for most of these type of restaurants on Walt Disney World - Disney World Vacation Information Guide - INTERCOT - Walt Disney World Inside & Out Click on the link! Look under the info central tab on the left side about halfway down the home page. I did this when we went because I have picky eaters. I would avoid the temptation of the buffets, or you could over do it.

Let me know if you need any other info on WDW... been there 7 times!!! I really love going there!!!!! Have a great trip!!!

Tess:cool2:

Thanks for the info, I will check that out! I did read that they allow weight loss surgery patients to pay the child's price at buffets. That will be nice, since I feel like I am wasting money when we do eat out.

Great info...were bound for Disney World and the Disney Cruise (my motivation) in December! Thanks for the information!!!

Thanks for the info, I will check that out! I did read that they allow weight loss surgery patients to pay the child's price at buffets. That will be nice, since I feel like I am wasting money when we do eat out.

Where did you read this at? I am going in October and have a 3 year old daughter. I know we are going to be doing a few buffets/character dinning and I don't want to pay full price when I won't be eating much. Do you think that I will need something from my doctor stating that I've had weight loss surgery?

Yes, please let us know where you saw that. I'm sure if we call Disney, we could find that out as well. Fortuantely, dh and I both are banded so we can split meals, and we have four children, so food really won't be going to waste.

Talk to your doctor about a Restaurant Card. I just asked my doctor for one and he is sending it to me. He also reminded me to stay away from the "greasy restaurant food", though.:thumbup: Sometimes that can be difficult. Everyone have fun on your trips and good luck!

My doctor gave me a card to carry around giving the restauraunts 'permission' to let me order off the childs meal (at my initial consult). :tt2: I'm not at that point yet - just 1 1/2 weeks post op. Have a BLAST at Disneyworld! My family and I went there Feb 07 and it was FABULOUS!!! I could live there.:thumbup: