Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Manitoba - Date confirmed June 24th

Finally, started my Optifast this morning for the next 2 weeks and will be banded on June 24th. :thumbup:

Edited by zoltrix
adding ticker

It's been an interesting ride - I have lost 25 pounds so far and one fill so far. I called for another fill I don't have any restrictions with the band right now when I first had the surgery. I can overeat if I don't watch myself so I stick with what works for me Proteins and vegs with yogarts, smoothies, sugar free pudding, Jello, sugar free popcycles, cheese and no sugar products. I was getting nervous because I found myself for the past two weeks eating more and more. I call had to do something or I was going to go back to me old habits. But I feel fine just want to feel that fullness again after eating small portions.

Carrie

Sister C - maybe you should have a look at the consistency of what you are eating. smoothies, yogurt, yellow, cheese are all pretty soft and will easily slip through your pouch opening. If you aren't eating firm Protein like chicken, beef, pork the food will pass through quickly leaving you feeling hungry. I am now at the right level of restriction and have to watch what I eat - chicken is great as is small portions of beef and pork. That is the food that keeps me satiated. In a pinch I will have yogurt and fruit for Breakfast - the fruit seems to help the yogurt stay put and usually gets me through to late afternoon. You will find your right level, but watch the consistency of the Protein and vegetables - the firmer the better..

Cindy

Thanks Cindy,

I will try it I can't wait to get to the point of feeling full all the time or more restrictions after I eat. I will see the doctor in to weeks for another fill I hope this is the one! Thanks again!

Sister C it occurs to me that you may be feeling hungry early because you are eating foods that are able to slip through the opening to your larger stomach. You really need to be concentrating on getting enough hard Protein (chicken, fish, beef, pork or legumes if you are vegetarian). The softer foods like yogurt, Jello, puddings are not going to stay in the upper stomach long enough for you to feel full. You may want to touch base with your clinic dietician to review your intake - and then get another fill if you are still not reaching satiety. Good luck - it does take time.

Cindy

Cindy,

What I forgot to mention was my nurse go back to me yesterday and I made the changes and today was the first day I felt restrictions again. She changed a few things I was eating and added a few things so now I am feeling much better and able to feel full again. I should have called before, but just forgot all the resources I have. Thanks for the suggestion I did call and I feel the difference again!

zoltrix. Congratulations on your decision and continuation of your journey. Let us know what you think of the Manitoba clinic so others in the area interested in banding can make some informed decisions.

it is hard. no doubt about it. But by trying all the tricks you know to keep yourself occupied you can do it. Some things I found I could do, was make warm tea or a warm drink to sip on. Many times I sipped on chicken broth really diluted but warm. It seems to fill up the spaces. I don't know your diet your clinic put you on, but mine was cottage cheese and yogurt (unflavored) Yuk! Anyone else out there no some tips for zoltrix

:thumbup::lol: I hope Optifast tastes good, sorry I know it is a strict diet and I am sitting here chuckling,because oh,boy, do I know what you are talking about. I was on cottage cheese (nothing else) for 30 days. Even the fruit wall placks were starting to look good. I found myself halucinating over anything and on top of that I had to cook regular meals for my other half.

My total support and sympathy goes out to you, but don't give in. You know why you are doing this strict diet. It is so important to shrink your liver as it is so fragile the less it weighs the easier it is for your surgeon. Plus the added bonus of huge weight loss. It is not far to June 24th.:P

I had 2 hot cups of coffee like you suggested. That helped, thanks.

I am already down 7 lbs!!! Is that normal??

Oh yeah, the cottage cheese sounded good but I don't think I could handle that for 30 days, YIKES!!

The Optifast is good I mix it with ice in the blender and voila a delicious chocolat smoothie!! I always look forward to the next one!

zoltrix you certainly are normal. The loss shows you are sticking to the diet as prescribed. Don't forget you carry a lot of Water that too has to be dumped by frankly about 4 lbs of that is fat. Well done. Not much further to go.

Maybel your clinic could suggest ways of varying your diet. For instance blending in fruit, etc. Whatever you are doing really great.

By the way, I don't know where you live in Manitoba but if you e mail me privately, I would behappy to support you. I am on the PC every morning.

Also, if you join the Canadianlapbanders.com you will get in touch with Candice who is from Manitoba. She has gone thru a number issues including having a baby with the band. It is on Yahoo and you have to join (free). It is frequented by banders in Canada mostly from the TLBC or the SWLC in Toronto but they welcome all. I would also imagine your clinic in Winnipeg may be starting up a website for support of long distance patients, but in the meantime fee free to contact me privately