Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I got a call today from my Surgeon's office to set up the info appointment. The place Tricare referred me to is 120 miles away. Well I asked the lady how many appointments I would need before the surgery, she said just the info session and the 1 pre op appointment :P . I thought you needed to go on a 6 month diet or something. I am trying to get in somewhere closer but I would really love to get the surgery sooner rather then later, know what I mean?

Is it really this easy to get approved through tricare?

Hello I am a tricare prime retired pt had been battling tricare for 2 years when they finally decided to pass it so I had many of my milestones done. I did not have to do a 6 month pre-op diet. My first referral was about 2 hours away from me also. I checked around and found a tricared( in -network) doctor closer to me which I am so glad now that I did, small complications. But it was really easy for me had my first vist on 3/13 (consultation) stayed in phone contact with nurse through dietician and physical thearpy. pre-op visit 4/27. Did like a 2 week diet low carb/1000 calorie diet to shrink my liver. Some docs do strict liquids pre-op mine did not. and then my surgery was May 5th, paid like 2 $12 co-pays and my hospital bill was around $90 total. So I had no problem with tricare at all. I hope all goes well and Good Luck. Write me if you have any other questions?? they paid for sleep study and phsy consult 100% also.

Glad to help a little new to the site. Been here for 2 months.

Shee:thumbup:

Hi Sheemac,

What kind of physical therapy did you have to do? I have a lot of joint and muscle pain issues, but am not sure what type of PT will help that.

thanks,

maggie

hey maggie I have really bad knees too. They just run through a list of strength exercise with a resistant band to make sure you can do them after the surgery, but every surgeon is different and you may not have to go to PT it was for only one visit. Good Luck

Shee

Hi Shee,

Thanks for the quick response; I did have an appointment w/ the surgeon in May, and the nutritionist told me to go back to my pcp for 3 more months of dieting and PT. I have bad knees also. I was just a little confused about what I was supposed to tell my pcp I needed the PT for; so your answer is helpful. I'm sure my pcp will know anyway, but I have been dragging my feet a bit about going back to her (which probably is not very smart!!) The surgeon's office said everything (cardiologist, psychologist, insurance approval, etc. would take about 3 mos. and in the meantime she wanted my pcp to chart my weight and physical therapy. I better get a move on and follow their instructions. How are you coming along post-surgery. Did you have much pain? Hopefully not.

thanks again,

maggie

I thought it was real easy to get approved by Tricare. My doc put in my referral and once it was correct it took maybe a day for it to be approved. Right now I'm just waiting to make my appointment with the surgeon. I'm hoping I'll get to do that soon.